Who are we?
LGBT+ staff from both campuses meeting regularly to address set objectives, serve as an advisory group to the Equality and Diversity Engagement group and simply meet others (staff from the university or external stakeholders). The Network is open to all employees and inclusive of LGBT people with multiple identities.
Network meetings are held every 6-8 weeks and rotate between the Llandaff and Cyncoed Campuses. The group is not about additional workload but how you can, with your experience, contribute to the
discussions and if you wish, participate fully in the organisation of
- To provide information to LGBT+ staff within the University such as campaigns,
initiatives, mentoring and training opportunities
- To circulate useful
information from other organisations such as Attitude magazine and
- To support the University with LGBT+ inclusive policy-making and
- To organise and publicise events including social activities for
- To provide support and guidance to Student Services, the
Student’s Union, and the LBGT+ Student Society to ensure an excellent student
experience for LGBT+ students
- To assist the Equality and Diversity
Engagement Group (EDEG) in its activities relating to LGBT+ inclusion
enhance the visibility of LGBT+ staff for the benefit of other staff and
What we have achieved so far?
- Increased our presence and visibility within the university.
- The network
started with 4 staff in 2015 and has increased to 20 members of staff.
- Gained a logo and
banner to increase visibility on Campus
- Had our first social event in
- Set up our first event ‘Trans in Sport’ on 24th February 2016
attended by staff and students
- Organised LGBT History Month 2017 celebrations, including a keynote talk from international rugby referee Nigel Owens MBE
- Set up a SharePoint site on the Team site for
members to increase communication
- Engaged with external organisations on LGBT+
issues and good practice
- Participated in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index
- Represented the University at Pride Cymru 2016 in Coopersfield
If you would like an informal chat about the benefits of joining the Network or would like to be put in touch with an existing member to discuss, please contact the LGBT+ Staff Network firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBT+ Allies Group
We are currently in the process of setting up a Cardiff Metropolitan University LGBT+ Allies Group where individuals who want to support LGBT+ equality at the University or simply want to keep up to date with LGBT+ campaigns, events and activities can do so through an online mailing list.
LGBT+ Student Society
The LGBT+ Student Society is a social and support society for LGBT+ students at Cardiff Metropolitan University. The society aims to bring to students from diverse backgrounds and identities together in a safe and supportive environment so you can have an enjoyable and fun university experience.
The group holds frequent socials and events so people can get to know one another, creating friendships and lasting memories. These socials and events will be planned out Termly so you will have a calendar full of socials that you can attend. The society has a committee which consists of a president and two social executives, all of which are there to provide easily accessible advice and support. Further information about the Student LGBT+ Society can be found on the University's Student Union website.