Who are we?
LGBT+ staff from both campuses meeting regularly to address set objectives, serve as an advisory group to the Equality and Diversity Engagement group and simply meet others (staff from the university or external stakeholders). The Network is open to all employees and inclusive of LGBT people with multiple identities.
Network meetings are held every 6-8 weeks and rotate between the Llandaff and Cyncoed Campuses. The group is not about additional workload but how you can, with your experience, contribute to the
discussions and if you wish, participate fully in the organisation of
- To provide information to LGBT+ staff within the University such as campaigns,
initiatives, mentoring and training opportunities
- To circulate useful
information from other organisations such as Attitude magazine and
- To support the University with LGBT+ inclusive policy-making and
- To organise and publicise events including social activities for
- To provide support and guidance to Student Services, the
Student’s Union, and the LBGT+ Student Society to ensure an excellent student
experience for LGBT+ students
- To assist the Equality and Diversity
Engagement Group (EDEG) in its activities relating to LGBT+ inclusion
enhance the visibility of LGBT+ staff for the benefit of other staff and
What we have achieved so far?
- Increased our presence and visibility within the university.
- The network
started with 4 staff in 2015 and has increased to 20 members of staff.
- Gained a logo and
banner to increase visibility on Campus
- Had our first social event in
- Set up our first event ‘Trans in Sport’ on 24th February 2016
attended by staff and students
- Organised LGBT History Month 2017 celebrations, including a keynote talk from international rugby referee Nigel Owens MBE
- Set up a SharePoint site on the Team site for
members to increase communication
- Engaged with external organisations on LGBT+
issues and good practice
- Participated in the Stonewall Workplace Equality Index
- Represented the University at Pride Cymru 2016 in Coopersfield
If you would like an informal chat about the benefits of joining the Network or would like to be put in touch with an existing member to discuss, please contact the LGBT+ Staff Network firstname.lastname@example.org
LGBT+ Allies Group
We are currently in the process of setting up a Cardiff Metropolitan University LGBT+ Allies Group where individuals who want to support LGBT+ equality at the University or simply want to keep up to date with LGBT+ campaigns, events and activities can do so through an online mailing list.
LGBT+ Student Society
The Cardiff Metropolitan LGBT+ society is a social and support society that exists to provide a safe and supportive environment for LGBT+ students and their friends to meet, campaign on behalf of the LGBT+ student community, and promote awareness of LGBT+ issues.
More information about the Student LGBT+ Society can be found on the University's Student Union website.