Alumni>Support Us>Gift Aid

Gift Aid



Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows charities to reclaim the tax that you have already paid on your donations through income tax or capital gains tax. So if you are a UK taxpayer, the University can reclaim the tax and add an extra 25% to your donation, at no extra cost to you! All you need to do is complete the Gift Aid section on the appropriate donation form or tell us verbally that you want your donation to be increased by Gift Aid.

Gift Aid FAQ's

I am a pensioner, do my donations qualify?

You may still be paying tax on a private pension plan or a savings account, or capital gains tax if you sell either some property or shares. You are still eligible if you have paid enough tax during the year to cover 25% of your total annual donations.

What if I have agreed to Gift Aid to another charity?

You can support as many UK charities as you like through Gift Aid. All you need to do is to return a declaration to each charity that you support and ensure that you are paying enough tax during the year to cover 25% of your total annual donations.

Do I have to make a declaration for every gift?

No. You just need to fill out a Gift Aid declaration and date it - then it will cover donations you have already made to the University and any donations you make in the future. There is no extra paperwork – we deal with the tax office to reclaim the tax. All we need is your declaration or verbal agreement.

What if I pay tax at a higher rate?

The University will only be able to claim Gift Aid at the basic tax rate. However, you can request a rebate for the difference when you submit your tax returns and you can then opt to donate this to a charity of your choice.

Can I call you if I have any further questions?

If you have any further questions about Gift Aid - or if your circumstances change, please contact us.