Click here to view Dr Littlewood’s papers and publications on Cardiff Metropolitan University’s DSpace repository.
•IN REVIEW: LITTLEWOOD, J. R. SPATARU, C. HOWLETT, R, J. 2016. ‘Smart Energy Systems and Buildings for a Sustainable Future’. Springer; Heidelberg, Germany.
• IN REVIEW: LITTLEWOOD, J. R. SMALLWOOD, I. 2016. Is that it for exhaust air source heat pumps – a Welsh Low Carbon Housing case study; Chapter: TBC. In: ‘Smart Energy Systems and Buildings for a Sustainable Future’. Ed: Littlewood, J. R. ;Spataru, C. Howlett, R, J. Springer; Heidelberg, Germany.
• IN REVIEW: COSGROVE, J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. WILGEROTH, P. 2016 Development of a Framework for Mapping Energy Usage and Carbon Dioxide Emissions in an Advanced Manufacturing Facility; Chapter: TBC. In: ‘Smart Energy Systems and Buildings for a Sustainable Future’. Ed: Littlewood, J. R. ;Spataru, C. Howlett, R, J. Springer; Heidelberg, Germany.
• IN REVIEW: LITTLEWOOD, J. R. SMALLWOOD, I. 2015. Testing building fabric performance and the impacts upon occupant safety, energy use and carbon inefficiencies in dwellings.
Energy Procedia, December, pp. TBC.
• IN REVIEW: ATKINSON, J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. KARANI. G. GEENS, A, J. 2015. Did ARBED I save energy in Wales? deprived dwellings.
Energy Procedia, December, pp. TBC.
• LITTLEWOOD, J. R. DAVIES, G, J. SMALLWOORD, I. 2014. Energy and Environmental Performance of the Abertridwr Community – First Winter Season.
Energy Procedia, Volume 62, December, Pages 532–542.
• Hammoudi, A. Karani, G. Littlewood, J, R. 2014. Road traffic accidents amongst drivers in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Journal of Traffic Logistics & Engineering. Vol 2. Pp 7-12.
• NOORAEI, M. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. EVANS, N. I. 2013. Feedback from occupants in ‘as designed’ low-carbon apartments, a case study in Swansea, UK.
Energy Procedia, Volume 42 – Elsevier, November 2013, pp. 446-456.
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. 2013. Chapter Four – Assessing and monitoring the thermal performance of dwellings, Chapter Four. In:
Architectural Technology: Research & Practice. Editor: EMMITT, S. Wiley Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
• HOPPER, J.; LITTLEWOOD, J.; GEENS, A.; KARANI, G., COUNSELL, J. AND THOMAS, A. 2012. Assessing retrofitted external wall insulation using infrared thermography.
Structural Survey. 30 (3), pp.245 – 266.
Selected Conference Papers / Presentations (recent)
• BUTLER. T. J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. GEENS, A. J. 2014. Earth Tube Systems: Tempering Fresh Air in a Canadian Climate. Paper presented as a poster at – CIBSE/ASHRAE Technical Symposium, Dublin, Ireland, 3-4 April 2014. Cited at:
• COSGROVE, J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. WILGEROTH, P. 2014. Case Study on Energy Management in a Medical Devices Production Facility. Paper presented as a poster at – CIBSE/ASHRAE Technical Symposium, Dublin, Ireland, 3-4 April 2014.Cited at:
• ALHAZIM. M. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. CANAVAN. K. CAREY. P. 2013. Design Philosophy of the traditional Kuwaiti house. Short track paper accepted and presented at the 2013 Mediterranean Green Energy Forum International Conference, 16 to 21 June, 2013, Fez, Morocco. In Vol. 1: 2013
Sustainability in Energy and Buildings: Research Advances,
http://nimbusvault.net/publications/koala/SEBRA/index.html; pp. 45-52.
• Taylor, T., Littlewood, J., Goodhew, S., Geens, A., Counsell, J., Hopper, J., Blanch, T. & Sharp, D. 2012. In-construction testing of the thermal performance of dwellings using thermography. Session F-Chapter Two. In:
Sustainability in Energy and Buildings – Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Sustainability in Energy and Buildings (SEB’11). Editors: Nacer M’Sirdi and Aziz Namaane and Robert J. Howlett and Lakhmi C. Jain. Vol. 12. Springer, Heidelberg, Germany. pp.307-318. ISBN: 978-3-642-27508-1.
• LITTLEWOOD, J. R. TOLEDO, L. 2012. Knowledge ‘place’ map of Swansea – The Urban Village Project. Paper presented and published in the proceedings for The Production of Place 2012 International Conference, University of East London, UK; 8th to 9th December 2012. Cited at:
• Hammoudi, A. Karani, G. and Littlewood, J. 2013. Causes of traffic accidents among pedestrians in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, Proc. 2nd International Conference on Computational Techniques and Artificial Intelligence (ICCTAI’2013), Eds. March 17-18, 2013 Dubai (UAE), pp 207-211.
• HOPPER, J. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. GEENS, A, J. FOX, C. COUNSELL, J. A. THOMAS, A. Developing monitoring protocols for dwellings undergoing low carbon retrofit solutions, Wales, UK. Paper presented and published in the conference proceedings for the Retrofit 2012 Conference, 24-26 January 2012, University of Salford, Salford, UK. Cited at:
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. TAYLOR, T. DAVIES, G. JOHN. D. How to minimise space heating to dwellings in Wales, UK through the use of exhaust air source heat pumps: results of a post-occupancy monitoring study in Bargoed, UK. Paper accepted to be presented as a poster and published in the proceedings for the World Sustainable Building Conference SB11 Helsinki, 18-21st October 2011, Finnish Association of Civil Engineers, Helsinki, Finland.
• HATHERLEY, S. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. COUNSELL, J. A. GEENS, A, J. SINNETT, N. An exploration of the challenges facing developers of affordable dwellings following low carbon and ecological principles, in rural locations in Wales, UK. Paper accepted to be presented as an oral presentation and published in the proceedings for the World Sustainable Building Conference SB11 Helsinki, 18-21st October 2011, Finnish Association of Civil Engineers, Helsinki, Finland, pp. forthcoming.
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors prize. Building Surveying (1996)
Selected Enterprise and Grant Awards
• Cardiff Metropolitan University Research Enterprise Investment Fund, in collaboration with Coastal Housing Group and the University of Plymouth, £114k, 2015.
• Short KTP with Morganstone Building Contractors (in collaboration with Coastal Housing Group) InnovateUK/Welsh Government £73K, 2015;
• Short KTP with Greenhill Building Contractors (in collaboration Melin Homes) Welsh Government £50K, 2013;
• Technology Strategy Board / United Welsh Housing Association – Building Performance Evaluation, £60K, 2012;
• Reverse SIP with Geoff Pettifor, £3K, 2011;
• HEFCU Donation Top-Up – £14K, 2011;
• Coastal Housing Group Donation – £28K, 2010;
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens, ESF / Coastal Housing Group, £54.6K, 2010;
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell, ESF/ Pembrokeshire Housing Association, £54.6K 2010;
• ERDF / Coastal Housing Group with Evans, Counsell, Low Carbon Built Environment, led by Cardiff University, £279K of £34Million, 2010.
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell (ESF / Coastal Housing Group, £54.6K, 2009);
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell (ESF/ United Welsh Housing Association, £54.6K 2009);
• Double Associate KTP with Prof. Brooksbank and Evans, National Botanic Garden of Wales, TSB/WG, £257K, 2009;
• UWIC Capital Bids, £7.5K, 2008;
• EPSRC research grant, led by University of Salford – £175K of £2.5Million, 2008.
University of the West of England
• Classic two year KTP with Two Rivers Housing Association, Forest of Dean £78K, 2007, Lead Supervisor working with Academic Lead;
• Building Design Partnership, – £10K, 2006.
University of South Wales (formerly University of Glamorgan)
• Pontypridd Parish Council, – £5K, 2005.
• Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists – PhD Scholarship, £1K, 2004.
• EPSRC CASE Award for a PhD Scholarship – £56K, 2004.
• Highbury Builders Collective, – £13K, 204.
• Science and Research Initiative Fund, £21K, 2002.
• RAE Equipment Fund, £30K, 2002;
• Capital Equipment Fund, £15K, 1999.
• Ecology Building Society, £2K, 1997.