The following information has been put together to highlight the main features of the PGCE Secondary: Physics with Science programme and to answer some of the frequently asked questions we have from students looking to apply.
For more detailed information about the PGCE Secondary: Physics with Science programme at Cardiff Met, please refer to the UCAS Teacher Training website.
Main features of the programme:
- The emphasis of the curriculum studies sessions will be on teaching Science to key stage 3 (11-14) and to specialise in Physics teaching for key stage 4 (14-16) and key stages 5 (16-19).The school based module comprises of three elements:
- Primary school observation
- First secondary school experience
- Second secondary school experience
- Seminars, workshops, lectures are the main method of instruction.
- University tutors work alongside school-based mentors to develop your knowledge, understanding and practical ability in teaching effectively.
- We provide regular mentor meetings which allow you to ask questions and discuss topics/issues further.
- You will receive feedback on your progress and lesson observations at regular points during the course.
Why study PGCE Secondary: Physics with Science at Cardiff Met?
- We are situated on an attractive campus at Cyncoed with high quality resources for Education students.
- Option to submit assignments, undertake teaching placements and IPD groups through the medium of Welsh.
- Financial incentives to train (training grants are available) and also to train through the medium of Welsh (training grant and Gloywi Iaith sessions).
- We have placement schools throughout South Wales, so you do not have to move to the Cardiff area to study/ undertake your school placement.
- Excellent and well-established partnerships with English and Welsh medium placement schools.
- Sharing of good practice and resources.
- University sessions allow students to "regroup" and take time out from school regularly to discuss progress, challenges and successes in a supportive environment – you are not thrown in at the deep end and forced to sink or swim!
For further information about the programme and any specific enquiries relating to entry requirements, assessments and interview process, please refer to the main PGCE Secondary course overview and the UCAS Teacher Training website. Alternatively please contact:
PGCE Secondary Science Programme Leader
029 2020 5893