• Education and Social Research Group (ESRG)
• Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
• Member of Children in Wales, Early Education and BERA
• Executive Board Member for Training and Advancement and Co-operation in Teaching Young Children (TACTYC)
• Implementation and management of early years' policy
• Professionalisation of the early years workforce
• Engaging young children in learning
• International perspectives on early years education
• Early education as social policy
WILLIAMS, J. & HADFIELD, T. (2010) Do I Do This in my Own Time: Using induction week to maximise student engagement Paper presented at STLHE Conference, Ryerson University, Toronto
MAYNARD, T., MORGAN, A., WATERS, J. & WILLIAMS, J. (2010) 'The Teaching and Learning Programme in Wales: The Foundation Phase' Cardiff: ERSC / WAG
WILLIAMS, J. (2010) 'Training Needed to Improve Children’s First Nursery Experiences' in Training, Advancement and Co-operation in Teaching Young Children Newsletter 22 p.2
WILLIAMS, J. (2009) 'September Three Times a Year: Policy and Practice in Early Years Settings in Wales Cardiff': Cardiff University, Ed.D Thesis
WILLIAMS, J. (2008) 'The Next Generation – Early Years Education'
I worked as a nursery teacher and advisory teacher for Early Years before joining the University of Wales, Newport in 2005 to teach on undergraduate and postgraduate Early Years courses. Since then I have undertaken a range of research projects in the field of Early Years Education, and received the CELT Rising Award in 2008. I have also been involved in a range of international activities and undertaken policy analysis for WAG. I started work at Cardiff Metropolitan University in September 2012 delivering modules on child development, play and children’s health and well-being.
• Child development, early years pedagogy