Dr McDonnell's main area of interest is cardiovascular health. He is currently involved in a number of ongoing cardiovascular research studies in collaboration with Cardiff University and University of Cambridge in the “Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial”. His research investigates the role of vascular aging in different pathophysiologies (e.g. diabetes, metabolic syndrome, osteoporosis and hypertension) and the importance of increased physical activity as a non-pharmacological intervention.
In recent years, Dr McDonnell’s research focus investigates the links between macrovascular haemodynamics and microvascular pulsatility, in collaboration with Australian School of Advanced Medicine, MacQuarie University, Sydney, Cardiff University and University of Cambridge.
Dr McDonnell has recently helped open the Health Assessment Suite in Cardiff Metropolitan University’s Department of Biomedical Sciences, in which his team undertakes the majority of their vascular physiology research.
Through the research facilities available in Cardiff Metropolitan University and the Health Assessment Suite, Dr McDonnell is also currently collaborating internally on a number of studies:
• Investigating the relationship between ventricular function and large artery haemodynamics through ageing, hypertension and exercise (Professor Rob Shave and Dr Eric Stohr).
• Cellular ageing and arterial stiffness (Professor Jorge Erusalimsky).
• Community based exercise and vascular function (Dr Richard Webb).
Current research team:
• Dr Maria Kearney (Post-Doctoral/Research Associate)
• Dr James Coulson (Clinical/Physician Cover)
• Mr Stuart Ennis (PhD Student)
• Mr Mansour Alghamdi (PhD Student, from Jan 2015)
• Miss Laura Watkeys (Research and Lab Co-ordinator)
• Miss Niamh Chapman (Professional Training Year Student - Research)
• Mr Michael Cummings (Professional Training Year Student - Research)
1. McDonnell BJ, Pearson J and Cockcroft JR. Reflections on Vascular Ageing and Microvascular Pulsatility. Journal of Hypertension. J Hypertens. 2014 Sep;32(9):1907-8.
2. Thompson JE, Webb R, Hewlett P, Llewellyn D, McDonnell BJ. Matrix metalloproteinase-9 and augmentation index are reduced with an 8-week green-exercise walking programme. Journal of Hypertension. 2013. 2(4): 127-133.
3. Barry J McDonnell, Kaisa M Maki-Petaja, Margaret Munnery, Yasmin, Ian B Wilkinson, John R Cockcroft, Carmel M McEniery. Habitual exercise and blood pressure: age dependency and underlying mechanisms. American Journal of Hypertension 03/2013; 26(3):334-41.
4. Stöhr EJ, McDonnell B, Thompson J, Stone K, Bull T, Houston R, Cockcroft J, Shave R. Left ventricular mechanics in humans with high aerobic fitness: adaptation independent of structural remodelling, arterial haemodynamics and heart rate. J Physiol. 2012 May 1;590(Pt 9):2107-19.
5. Miles KL, McDonnell BJ, Maki-Petaja KM, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM. The impact of birth weight on blood pressure and arterial stiffness in later life: The ENIGMA Study. J Hypertens. 2011.Oct; 29.
6. Hickson SS, Miles KL, McDonnell BJ, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM; ENIGMA Study Investigators. Use of the oral contraceptive pill is associated with increased large artery stiffness in young women: the ENIGMA study. J Hypertens. 2011;29(6):1155-9.
7. Charlotte E. Bolton, Carmel M. McEniery, Vimal Raj, Barry J. McDonnell, Adrian K. Dixon, Margaret Munnery, Ramsey Sabit, Nicholas Screaton, Michael Stone, Ian B. Wilkinson, Dennis J. Shale, John R. Cockcroft. Aortic calcification, arterial stiffness and bone mineral density in patients with COPD. Artery Research. March 2011 (Vol. 5, Issue 1, Pages 30-36)
8. Campbell R, Fisher JP, Sharman JE, McDonnell BJ, Frenneaux MP. Contribution of nitric oxide to the blood pressure and arterial responses to exercise in humans. J Hum Hypertens. 2011 Apr;25 (4):262-70. Epub 2010 May 27.
9. McEniery CM, Yasmin, Maki-Petaja KM, McDonnell BJ, Munnery M, Hickson SS, Franklin SS, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. The impact of cardiovascular risk factors on aortic stiffness and wave reflections depends on age: the Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial (ACCT III). Hypertension. 2010 Oct;56(4):591-7.
10. Charlotte J. Richardson, Kaisa M. Maki-Petaja, Barry J. McDonnell, Stacey S. Hickson, Ian B. Wilkinson, Carmel M. McEniery. Comparison of estimates of central systolic blood pressure and peripheral augmentation index obtained from the Omron HEM-9000AI and SphygmoCor systems. Artery Research. February 2009 (Vol. 3, Issue 1, Pages 24-31)
11. Hickson SS, Butlin M, Mir FA, Graggaber J, Cheriyan J, Khan F, Grace AA, Yasmin, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB, McEniery CM; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. The accuracy of central SBP determined from the second systolic peak of the peripheral pressure waveform. J Hypertens. 2009 Sep;27(9):1784-8.
12. Namasivayam M, McDonnell BJ, McEniery CM, O'Rourke MF; Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial Study Investigators. Does wave reflection dominate age-related change in aortic blood pressure across the human life span? Hypertension. 2009 Jun;53(6):979-85.
13. McEniery CM, McDonnell BJ, So A, Aitken S, Bolton CE, Munnery M, Hickson SS, Yasmin, Maki-Petaja KM, Cockcroft JR, Dixon AK, Wilkinson IB; Anglo-Cardiff Collaboration Trial Investigators. Aortic calcification is associated with aortic stiffness and isolated systolic hypertension in healthy individuals. Hypertension. 2009 Mar;53(3):524-31.
14. McEniery CM, Yasmin, McDonnell B, Munnery M, Wallace SM, Rowe CV, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; Anglo Cardiff Collaborative Trial Investigators. Central pressure: Variability and impact on cardiovascular risk factors: The Anglo-Cardiff Collaborative Trial II. Hypertension, 2008 Jun;51(6):1476-82. Epub 2008 Apr 21.
15. Smith J, McDonnell B, Retallick CJ, McEniery C, Carey C, Davies J.S, Cockcroft JR and Paisey R. Is arterial stiffness in Alstrom syndrome linked to the development of cardiomyopathy. Eur J Clin Invest. 2007;37(2):99-105.
16. Yasmin, McEniery CM, O'Shaughnessy KM, Harnett P, Arshad A, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Ashby MJ, Brown J, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB. Variation in the human matrix metalloproteinase-9 gene is associated with arterial stiffness in healthy individuals. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2006 Aug;26(8):1799-805. Epub 2006 May 18.
17. McEniery CM, Wallace S, Mackenzie IS, McDonnell B, Yasmin, Newby DE, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB. Endothelial function is associated with pulse pressure, pulse wave velocity, and augmentation index in healthy humans. Hypertension. 2006 Oct;48(4):602-8.
18. McEniery CM, Yasmin, Wallace S, Maki-Petaja K, McDonnell B, Sharman JE, Retallick C, Franklin SS, Brown MJ, Lloyd RC, Cockcroft JR, Wilkinson IB; ENIGMA Study Investigators. Increased stroke volume and aortic stiffness contribute to isolated systolic hypertension in young adults. Hypertension. 2005 Jul;46 (1):221-6.
Current external collaborators:
• Professor John Cockcroft, Dr James Coulson and Margaret Munnery (Cardiff University), and Professor Ian Wilkinson, Dr Carmel McEniery, Dr Yasmin and Dr Maki Petaja (University of Cambridge) as part of the Anglo Cardiff Collaborative Trial.
• Professor Alberto Avolio and Dr Mark Butlin (Australian School of Advanced Medicine, MacQuarie University, Sydney Australia).
• Professor Damian Bailey (University of South Wales).
• Dr Sigfried Wassteurer (Austrian Institute of Technology, Vienna).
• Dr Zaheer Yousef (Cardiff University).
Review Panel Committee member:
• National Institute for Social Care and Health Research (NISCHR), virtual grant review committee: chair and panel member.
• Abstract review panel member for the International Society of Hypertension’s (ISH) “New Investigator Network”.
Journal Article Reviewer:
• Artery Research
• Journal of Applied Physiology
• Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology
• Journal of Human Hypertension
• American Journal of Hypertension
Membership of Learned Society:
• ARTERY Research
• Wales CVIRG
• Wales Physical Activity, Diabetes and Metabolic Health Research Group
• Blood Pressure Wales
• Wales Cardio-Respiratory Research Group
• European Association into Study of Diabetes (EASD)
• International Society of Hypertension (ISH)
• American Society of Hypertension
Member of the Higher Education Academy