School: Cardiff School of Health Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2041 5234
Room No: D3.11
- Critical Analysis in the Social Sciences
- Human Consciousness
Research Degree Supervision - Completed
- ICT and Numeracy
- Individual Differences
- Asghar, A. (2007). Theory of Mind, empathy and androgyny in psychopathic disorders.
- Baker, J. (2009). Evaluation of online forums for individuals who self-harm.
- Barratt, J. (2015). An Exploration of Shame in PTSD Treatment and Psychosis.
- Barrows, R.P. (2011). An exploration of adult attachment, cognitive behavioural therapy, schema and relationships.
- Bellamy, G. (2011). Understanding self-esteem in sexual offending and exploring experiences of group therapy within a forensic learning disability service: An IPA study and meta-analytic review.
- Churchley, J. (2008). Executive function and Theory of Mind: Implications for individuals with acquired brain injury.
- Cook, J. (2013). Deficit/Hyperactivity-Disorder (ADHD) symptomatology.
- Glover, L. (2013). Improving engagement of psychological services with people with anorexia nervosa: Exploration of the perspective of service users.
- Lowe, N. (2014). An exploration of dissociative experiences and affect recognition in the experience of early psychosis.
- McGrath, V. (2012). An exploration of eating distress and traumatic experiences in women and the effectiveness of dialectical behaviour therapy.
- McIlhone, C. (2015). An exploration into autistic spectrum disorder, personality, parenting and adult attachment style.
- Oakley, E. (2012). The assessment of pre-morbid levels of intellectual functioning in people with dementia.
- Russon, S. (2011). Understanding posttraumatic growth: An analysis of longitudinal research and the moderating effect of resilience.
- Sanders, S. (2006). Investigating Theory of Mind, self-consciousness and realist bias in relation to schizotypal traits in a non-clinical population.
- Smith, R.L. (2012). A century of apparitions : Revisiting the census of hallucinations in the 21st century.
- Sparkes, E. (2012). Pain psychology: Psychological characteristics and their effect on the efficacy of spinal cord stimulation.
- Steptoe-Warren, G.L. (2010). Development of a methodological approach to identification of competencies and development of a situational judgment test of strategic decision making in a charitable and public organisation.
- Thompson, J. (2014). An exploration of dispositional mindfulness across the lifespan and mindfulness interventions for older people.
- Wilde, D. (2014). Perfectionism in children and adults: Maintaining mechanisms and treatment implications.
- Russon, S., Patterson, T., and Hume, I.R. (2011). Examining post-traumatic growth: Longitudinal research and the effect of resilience. London: LAP Lambert.
- Flanagan, S., Patterson, T.G., Hume, I.R. & Joseph, S. (2015). A longitudinal investigation of the relationship between unconditional positive self-regard and posttraumatic growth. Person-Centered & Experiential Psychotherapies
- Cook, J., Knight, E., Hume, I.R., Qureshi, A.W. (2014). The self-esteem of adults diagnosed with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): a systematic review of the literature. Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorders, 6 (4), 249-68.
- Steptoe-Warren, G., Howat, D.J., and Hume, I.R. (2011) 'Strategic thinking and decision making: literature review'. Journal of Strategy and Management, 4 (3), 238-250.
- Steptoe-Warren, G., Howat, D.J., and Hume, I.R. (2011). Similar or Different? Strategic Decision Makers’ Personality Traits across Organisation Types: A Case Study. Assessment and Development Matters, 3 (4), 2-5.
- Taylor, L.M., Hume, I.R., and Welsh, N. (2010). Labelling and self-esteem: the impact of using specific vs. generic labels. Educational Psychology, 30 (2), 191-202.
- Hume, I.R., and Bean W.V. (2010). The effect of ‘sigilisation’ on forced-choice ESP task success. European Journal of Parapsychology, 25, 101-109.
- Perez-Navarro, J.M., Lawrence, T., and Hume, I.R. (2009). Personality, mental state and procedure in the experimental replication of ESP: A preliminary study of new variables. Journal of the Society for Psychical Research, 73 (1), 17-32.
- Roberts, B.L.H., and Hume, I.R. (2007). A review of "The Common Thread between ESP and PK (Parapsychological Monograph Series No. 19)", by Michael A. Thalbourne (2004). European Journal of Parapsychology, 22 (2), 193-199.
- Hume, I.R, and Lawrence, A.R. (2005). Assessing the relationship between ESP task success and vividness of voluntarily generated mental imagery as measured by Betts' QMI: A review. European Journal of Parapsychology, 20 (2), 90-116.
- Hume, I.R., and Lawrence, A.R. (2005). A review of "From Shaman to scientist: Humanity's search for spirits", Edited by James Houran (2004). European Journal of Parapsychology, 20 (2), 186-190.
- Roberts, B.L.H. and Hume, I.R. (2010). Sender-receiver relationships, sex pairing, and ESP task success. Paper presented at The Society for Psychical Research Annual Conference, University of Sheffield, September 10-12th, 2010.
- Invited panel member Higher Education Academy ‘Parapsychology Teaching in Higher Education’, University of Derby, 20th March 2010.
- St Andrew’s Healthcare Brain Injury Services: ‘Thirty years of neurobehavioural rehabilitation’. Hilton Hotel, Northampton, 8-9th June. Poster presentation: Executive Function and Theory of Mind in Adults with Brain Injury. Dr Jenny Churchley, St Andrews Healthcare; Dr Ian Hume, Coventry University; Professor Nick Alderman, St Andrews Healthcare and Dr Eve Knight, Coventry University.
Ian joined the Department of Applied Psychology in October 2015. His teaching interests include consciousness, individual differences, and quantitative research methods. He has supervised numerous students through their research degrees. He is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
His research interests are diverse but currently they include Theory of Mind – particularly in relation to mental illness, belief in and experience of the paranormal, and posttraumatic growth.