Currently undertaking a PhD: Exploring the meaning of tourism for people with dementia and their families
2011 – 2012-Researcher, Older People and Ageing Research & Development Network, Swansea University
2009 – 2011-Research Officer, Alan Richens Unit, University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff involved managing quantitative and qualitative studies involving the psychological impact of epilepsy, medication and clinic appointments.
2003 – 2006- Research Nurse, Autoimmune Thyroid Disease, Cardiff University
1997 – 2003-Research Nurse Specialist at The Research Institute for the Care of Elderly, Bath and the Memory Team in Cardiff involved working on the pharmaceutical trials of the first generation drugs for Alzheimer’s disease and Vascular dementia. Also academic research explored cognitive function, mild cognitive impairment and visual processing in Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson's disease and older healthy controls.
• Thomas, R.H., Mullins, J.M., Hammond, C.L, Smith, P.E.M. and Kerr, M.P. (2013), The importance of the experiences of initial diagnosis and treatment failure when switching antiepileptic drugs, Epilepsy and Behavior, 29 (3), pp.492 – 496.
• Mullins, J.M. (2012), Exploring the roles and benefits of tourism for people with dementia and their partners, Cardiff Metropolitan University Academic Associate Research Review,April .
• Thomas, R H, Mullins, J.M. (2010), Epilepsy: Creative sparks. Practical Neurology (10), pp. 219 -226.
• Mullins. & Fitch, F. (2000), Diagnosis by request: A Self Referral Memory Clinic.
• Journal of Dementia Care. March/ April, pp. 30 – 31.
• Tales, A. Troscianko, T. Butler, S.R. Fossey, J. and Jones, R.J. (2002), Visual search in Alzheimer’s disease: deficiency in processing conjunctions of features. Neuropsychologia, 40, pp. 1849 – 1857.
• Manji,N. et al. (2006), Influences of age, gender, smoking and family history on autoimmune thyroid disease phenotype. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Vol. 91,(12), pp. 4873-4880.
• Alzheimer’s Society
• Centre for Innovative Ageing, Swansea University
• Older People and Ageing Research & Development Network, Swansea University
• Cardiff Memory Team, Cardiff University (Llandough Hospital)
• Welsh Centre for Tourism Research