It has come to the attention of the local health protection team that there appears to be a new viral outbreak. It is something that has not been seen before but seems to be spreading rapidly through the community, leaving those infected with a Zombie like illness. All hands are needed to identify the source and contain the outbreak.
This summer school is designed to provide students with an insight into the roles and duties of a health protection outbreak team. Health protection is one of the three arms to Public Health in the UK, the other two being health promotion and service improvement, which will be touched on in week two.
The outbreak will be based on a virus transmitted from person to person via close contact. The scenario is sourced Public Health England's specialist Emergency Response Department who develop scenarios for multi-agency preparedness training events. This course will include:
Download the Provisional Timetable here
- Epidemiological principles relevant to outbreak investigation
- Management of communicable disease outbreaks
- Case interview and investigation techniques
- Collection and analysis of data during an outbreak investigation
- Dealing with the media in outbreak investigations
- Application of knowledge and skills through the outbreak investigation exercise
- Principles of emergency management preparedness, response and recovery
- Crisis and emergency risk communication
(subject to change - 2017 example)
Academic Status: Non-credit bearing
School: Cardiff School of Sport and Health Sciences
Dates: 16th July to 27th July 2018
Application Deadline: 31st May 2018
Venue: Llandaff Campus
English language requirement: None required, however please note that good working knowledge of English is expected and that all classes will be taught through the medium of English.
Academic pre-requisites: Qualified to study at university. Qualified to study at university. Please note the above sessions are aimed at all Undergraduate and Postgraduate level of study.
Early Bird Rate: £1,040 (Application and full payment to be made by Friday 31st March 2018)