Applications for 2019 are now closed
Applications for 2020 will be opening in the new year.
We are proud to announce that in November 2018, Cardiff Metropolitan University was recognised as a University of Sanctuary because of the good work the university does to raise awareness of sanctuary seeker issues and to support asylum seekers and refugees.
Since 2016, the University has offered two postgraduate sanctuary scholarships per year. This year, the University is very pleased to confirm that it will be offering two postgraduate AND two undergraduate scholarships for entry in September 2019.
The University is committed to providing equal opportunities to higher education for people seeking sanctuary in the UK and aiding them to meet their full potential and ambitions.
What does the scholarship include?
For 2019 entry, there will be 2 undergraduate and 2 postgraduate scholarships available. Each scholarship includes:
- A full fee waiver for the undergraduate or postgraduate course the applicant holds an offer for;
- A Met Rider bus pass valid during the academic year (September – June)
- A daily lunch voucher for use in Cardiff Met's Students' Union catering outlets on weekdays during term time.
- Personal support to enable students to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme.
How do I know if I am eligible to apply for this scholarship?
All applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for the Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award:
- You are an asylum seeker in the UK or partner/dependant included on the application of an asylum seeker in the UK
You have received a decision on your claim for asylum and you have been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR), Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) or some other form of temporary status such as Humanitarian Protection. Please Note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date on which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
- You have a conditional or unconditional offer from Cardiff Metropolitan University for entry in September 2019 onto a degree course.
- You are currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group, which can provide a reference in support of your application.
- You have not obtained an equivalent degree from another institution or country.
- You live within suitable distance to easily commute to university. (A Cardiff Met bus pass forms part of the scholarship award).
- You do not require support for accommodation and living expenses.
Applicants must meet
ALL of these strict eligibility criteria and be in a position to verify their circumstances in order apply. Applicants who do not meet all the criteria will not be considered for the scholarship.
How can I apply?
You will first need to hold a conditional or unconditional offer to study at Cardiff Met. If you have not yet submitted an application to the university, Future Learn provide a free online course to help asylum seekers through the application process of applying to a UK university.
Applicants must apply before the application deadline of
5.00pm on 5th July 2019. Please read the Sanctuary Award Application Form 2019_Guidance Notes.pdf thoroughly before completing the
Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award Application Form.
In addition to the application form, applicants must also submit a personal statement, a reference and evidence of their current immigration status/pending status. (see guidance notes for full details).
When will I be notified if my application has been successful?
Please note that this is a competitive process and there are limited scholarships available, consequently not all applications will be successful.
Applicants will be notified if their application meets the eligibility criteria within 2 weeks of the application deadline.
Notification of the scholarship awards to the successful applicants will be made by 3rd September 2019. Please note, applicants may be required to attend an interview which will take place between July and August 2019.
What if I have questions about the application process?
If you would like some advice or clarification on making an application, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02920 417319.
NOTE: for scholarship exceptions and terms and conditions please see the main
If you do not meet the criteria for the Cardiff met Sanctuary Award, you may be interested in similar scholarships at other institutions.
for more information.