APPLICATIONS CLOSED FOR 2018
We are proud to announce that Cardiff Metropolitan University has introduced a new scholarship opportunity for students joining post graduate taught (Masters) courses in September/ October 2018.
Working in partnership with the Students' Union, Cardiff Met STAR Student Society and the Article 26 Project, the University is committed to providing equal opportunities to higher education for people seeking sanctuary in the UK and aiding them to meet their full potential and ambitions.
What does the scholarship include?
For 2018 entry, there will be 2 scholarships available. Each scholarship includes:
- A full fee waiver for the masters course the applicant holds an offer for;
- A Met Rider bus pass (valid from September 2018 – June 2019)
- A daily lunch voucher for use in Cardiff Met's Students' Union catering outlets on weekdays during term time.
- Personal support to enable students to identify and overcome barriers to achievement on their degree programme.
How do I know if I am eligible to apply for this scholarship?
All applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be considered for the Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award:
You must be:
- An asylum seeker or the partner/dependant of an asylum seeker OR
- An asylum seeker/partner/dependant who has been granted Discretionary Leave to Remain (DLR), Limited Leave to Remain (LLR) or some other form of temporary status such as Humanitarian Protection.
- Have a conditional or unconditional offer from Cardiff Metropolitan University for entry in September/October 2018 onto a taught postgraduate (Masters) course;
- Currently attending a school, college, community or voluntary group which can provide a reference in support of your application;
- Unable to access mainstream funding, e.g. student finance or a local authority grant;
- Live in Cardiff to be able to easily commute to university;
- Do not require support for living expenses or accommodation.
How can I apply?
You will first need to hold a conditional or unconditional offer to study at Cardiff Met. If you have not yet submitted an application to the university, Future Learn provide a free online course to help asylum seekers through the application process of applying to a UK university.
Applicants must apply before the application deadline of
5.00pm on 22nd June 2018. Please read the
Guidance Notes thoroughly before completing the
Cardiff Met Sanctuary Award Application Form.
In addition to the application form, applicants must also submit a personal statement, a reference and evidence of their current immigration status/pending status. (see guidance notes for full details).
When will I be notified if my application has been successful?
Please note that this is a competitive process and there are limited scholarships available, consequently not all applications will be successful.
Applicants will be notified if their application meets the eligibility criteria within 2 weeks of the application deadline.
Notification of the scholarship awards to the successful applicants will be made by 3rd September 2018. Please note, applicants may be required to attend an interview which will take place between July and August 2018.
What if I have questions about the application process?
If you would like some advice or clarification on making an application, please do not hesitate to contact us at :
firstname.lastname@example.org or call +442920 417319.
NOTE: for scholarship exceptions and terms and conditions please see the main scholarships page