Current Teaching Commitments
(Postgraduate - L7) Module Leader- (MBA) Strategic Management (MBA 7002)
(Postgraduate - L7) Module Leader – (MBA) Pathway Leader for MBA in Islamic Finance
(Postgraduate - L7) Module Leader – (MBA, MSc) Principles of Islamic Finance (MSM 7028)
(Postgraduate - L7) Module Leader - (MBA, MSc) Islamic Investment Banking (MSM 7027)
(Postgraduate - L7 - TNE) Module Leader - (MBA) Accounting for Decision Makers (MBA 7001)
(Postgraduate - L7 - TNE) Module Leader - (MBA) Management of Finance - (MBA 7005)
(Undergraduate - L5) Module Leader - Financial Accounting in Islamic Finance - (BAC 5020)
Past Teaching Commitments
(Postgraduate - L7 - TNE) Module Leader - (MBA) Accounting for Decision Makers - (MBA 7001)
(Postgraduate - L7) (MBA) Research Methods (MBA 7001) part of lecturing team - 'Quantitative Analysis' and 'Questionnaire Design'
(Postgraduate - L7) Masters in Law (LLM) Islamic Finance module (Shariah contracts)
(Executive Education) Executive MBA - Islamic Finance and Banking module
(Undergraduate - L4) Module Leader - Business in Context (BSP 4001)
(Undergraduate - L5) Module Leader - International Political Economy (BSP 5003)
Asif is Co-Editor in Chief of the International Journal of Islamic Marketing and Business Strategy (IGI). Also, book reviewer for a range of international publishers including Kogan Page, Palgrave and Cengage Learning.
His scholarly interests range from social sciences, women entrepreneurship, project management to banking and finance, Islamic finance, particularly Shariah compliant Islamic finance cross-border practices.
The field of banking and finance has been the focus of his scholarly, pedagogic and entrepreneurial focus over the past decade. Furthermore, he is currently completing a PhD in the field of 'Banking and Financial Management, Islamic Finance, investigating a comparative analysis between Malaysian and Bahraini banks'. These banks are operating in Islamic countries; there has been a significant surge in Islamic banking and investments over the past two decades. Especially in light of the recent financial crisis (bank bailouts in the developed world), his research aims to study the capital structure of the Islamic banks.
Activities, Lectures, Public Speaking and Professional Development
1. Participated in the 1st Islamic Finance Leadership Programme, Leicester (Edbiz consulting Ltd - (Sept 2013)
2. Attended 9th World Islamic Economic Forum (WIFE), London - (Oct 2013)
3. Attended the 13th Islamic Finance Summit, London - (February 2014)
4. Attended the UK-Bahrain Islamic Finance Summit, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO), London - (April 2014)
5. The Royal Award for Islamic Finance - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - (September 2014)
6. IBFC (Islamic Banking and Finance Centre) - Cardiff University - (Nov 2014)
7. Delivered full day Islamic Finance workshop in the Foreign and Commonwealth Office - London (Attendees: Bank of England, UK Treasury, HMRC, FCA) - (March 2015)
8. Delivered lecture in the Islamic Finance Conference - FAST School of Management NUCES Islamabad, Pakistan (Topic: Islamic Finance: UK Perspective) - (25 April 2015)
9. Delivered seminar in AAST (Arab Academy of Science and Technology and Maritime Studies) Alexandria - Egypt (29 April 2015)
10. Attended Global Ethical Finance Forum (GEFF) - Edinburgh, Scotland (1 and 2 September 2015)
11. Attended Islamic Finance Talent East and West - UEL Educators Conference, Canary Wharf - London (11 November 2015)
12. Organised and co-presented a public lecture on Islamic Wills and Estate Tax Planning lecture at Dar-ul-Isra (Muslim Community Centre, Cardiff, Wales) - (April 2017)
13. Participated in a round table discussion with Andy Haldane - Chief Economist (Bank of England) at Dar-ul-Isra (Muslim Community Centre, Cardiff, Wales) where I proposed interest free (Islamic) student finance and Islamic business start up loans - (June 2017)
14. Attended ICMGR - Ethical Finance and Investment Conference - Edinburgh Napier - (19 May 2017)
15. Volunteered in the 3rd Cambridge IFPL (Islamic Finance Leadership programme), Claire College, Cambridge University, (August 2017)
16. Attended 'Economic Lecturer's Workshop' (GTA Workshop) - Manchester University - (September 2017)
17. Established 'International Journal of Islamic Marketing and Business Strategy' (IGI) Co-Editor in Chief of this Academic Journal - (November 2017)
18. Completed 'Bloomberg Market Concepts' - certificate (February 2018)
19. Completed 'HEA - Professional Development Course for External Examiners' - (May 2018)
20. Participated in TAKAFUL (Islamic Insurance) Masterclass at Norton Rose Fulbright, law firm - London (July 2018)
21. House of Lords - London Committee Room 3 - attended a seminar on Islamic Finance - (July 2018)
22. Delivered workshop to the academic faculty of Gulf College in Muscat, Oman on teaching pedagogy focusing on the transition from surface learning to deep learning - (Sept 2018)
23. Delivered guest lectures to professional MBA students lectures in Colombo and Kandy campuses of ICBT (International College of Business and Technology) on student employability and life after MBA - (Oct 2018)
Amzad Hossain, Kamal Naser, Asif Zaman, Rana Nusaibah (2009).Factors Influencing Women Business Development in The Developing Countries: Evidence from Emerging Economy.
The International Journal of Organisational analysis U.K. Vol. 17 No.3
Amzad Hossain, Kamal Naser, Asif Zaman (2009).Differences Between Public and Private University Women Graduates in Developing Small Enterprise: Evidence From An Emerging Economy.
The Journal of Applied Business and Economics, USA. Vol. 9 No.3
Asif Zaman, (2017). Islamic Finance Education: A Road to Economic Prosperity & Sustainability (Cover Story). The Learning Curve 2017: 16-17. Web. 13May 2017 (The Learning Curve Education Magazine https://www.thechopras.com/discover/media-centre/our-publication.html)
Asif Zaman, (2017). The Institution of HISBA and Shari'A Assurance, ISFIRE: 2017: 10-13 Print June 2017 (ISFIRE London - Islamic Finance Review http://isfire.net/)
Publications in Progress
Asif Zaman, Rafik Omar, Farooq Chudry, Eleri Jones (2019). Defining Islamic Banking Economic Rent competitive advantage - (redefining the market equilibrium)
Professional Lectures delivered - Government, Academic and Public
March 2015 London: UK Treasury (FCO - Foreign and Commonwealth Office) London
In 2015 successfully delivered a seven hour closed session workshop on Islamic Finance policy development within UK financial framework in FCO - London
Audience: Bank of England, UK Treasury, UK litigation department, HMRC, FCA and FCO staff members
April 2015 Egypt: AAST (Arab Academy of Science and Technology and Maritime Studies - Alexandria - Egypt). Delivered a guest lecture on Islamic Economics and Finance lecture to all the university students and academic faculty
April 2015 Pakistan: Conference lecture via Skype (Topic: Islamic Finance: UK Perspective) - Islamabad (Pakistan) - FAST School of Management NUCES Islamabad, Pakistan
April 2017 Cardiff, UK: Organised and co-presented a public lecture on Islamic Wills and Estate Tax Planning lecture at Dar-ul-Isra (Muslim Community Centre, Cardiff, Wales) (April 2017)
June 2017 Cardiff, UK: Participated in a roundtable discussion with Andy Haldane, Chief Economist (Bank of England) at Dar-ul-Isra (Muslim Community Centre, Cardiff, Wales ) where I proposed interest free (Islamic) student finance and Islamic business start up loans
September 2018 Muscat, Sultanate of Oman: Delivered a joint special lecture to the academic faculty of Gulf College in Muscat, Oman, on teaching pedagogy focusing on the transition from surface learning to deep learning
October 2018 Sri Lanka: Delivered MBA guest lectures in Colombo and Kandy campuses of ICBT (International College of Business and Technology) on student employability and life after MBA
Apart from his research project he is currently working on developing MSc Islamic Finance and Management programme and short courses in Islamic Finance for the working professionals.
Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA) (CIMA - Candidate) since 2017
Academic Fellow of The Association of International Accountants FAIA (ACAD) April 2015
(AAOIFI) Auditing and Auditing Organisation for Islamic Finance Institution (AAOIFI) Bahrain since February 2013
Over the years, Asif has developed a keen interest in international and political economy and media. He particularly follows the financial sector very closely.
Recently he has been appointed as a 'Senior Advisor and an Executive Board Member' for the 'International Centre for the Protection and Freedom of Journalists' (ICPFJ) where he contributes on scientific research in promoting credible and unbiased reporting.
His other interests include walking, cooking Indian and oriental foods. He enjoys entertaining family and friends. Asif is also an experienced fixed wing (aeroplane) private pilot and he always enjoys piloting light and mid-range aircraft as a leisure activity with friends and family.