Cardiff Metropolitan University is celebrating scooping three of the seven awards up for grabs at the annual 2019 Education Awards held at London Olympia, today (Tuesday 11 June).
Launched in October 2017, the NewTek UK Education Awards recognise excellence in creating engaging videos or live streams with NewTek technology, by students and staff at colleges and universities across the country. The awards were open to any UK educational establishment faculties and students in the categories of Media Production, Sports, News and Community, Teaching Materials and Distance Learning.
Cardiff Met took home awards for:
● Best Video 2019 – “Up The Archer”, weekly sports roundup highlights: by Sport Broadcast MSc students at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
● Tutor of the Year 2019 – Lukas Burks, Technician Demonstrator, Sports Broadcast MSc, at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
● Best Sports Content– “Up The Archer”, weekly sports roundup highlights: by Sport Broadcast MSc students at Cardiff Metropolitan University.
Other 2019 NewTek UK Education Awards winners include:
● Best Entertainment Content– “Shotgun Sally”: by the Screen School, London College of Communication students.
● Best Factual Content– “The Wymering Manor Investigation”: by University of Portsmouth students.
● Best Live Broadcast– “NHS 70 Live” by University of Portsmouth students.
● Best Live Broadcast (under 18s)– “The Record” by students at Wiltshire College, in Chippenham.
This years’ Tutor of the Year winner, Lukas Burks, Technician Demonstrator, Sports Broadcast MSc at Cardiff Metropolitan University, said, “The NewTek software has been incredible for us. When we purchased it, we had several key ambitions all designed to help replicate ‘real world’ TV broadcast situations and create industry workflows.
“We wanted to create a live stream weekly chat show, sports news roundups, and livestream sports matches through the TriCaster onto our Facebook and Youtube channels,” said Burks.
“We needed the ability to run VT inserts, cut multi-camera studio chat and links, add virtual backgrounds, insert lower naming graphics, monitor sound, and more. NewTek’s has allowed is to do this and prepare the next generation of Sports Broadcasters.”
All of the student winners of the UK Education Awards received a certificate and plaque during the presentation at The Media Production Show this afternoon.
“The judges and I were very impressed with the selection of videos submitted this year,” adds Liam Hayter, Workflow and Solutions Architect at NewTek. “We saw originality and creativity across the board, from students all around the UK, all produced with NewTek technology.
“At NewTek, we’re committed to providing the next generation of media professionals with the best technology for learning, and these awards reflect the success of that commitment. We are already looking forward to the inspiring and diverse videos we will be sure to observe next year.”
To read this story in Welsh, click here.