Olympian, Team GB and Wales rugby player Jasmine Joyce was named Sports Personality of the Year at last night's annual Cardiff Met Students Union Sports Awards.
She was delighted to pick up the award, sponsored by Wilmott Dixon, while also paying tribute to teammate Elli Norkett, who tragically passed away in February.
Jasmine from St David's, Pembrokeshire, headed to last Summer's Rio Olympics with 11 English players in the 12-strong women's Sevens squad with Cardiff Met alumni Danielle Waterman and Heather Fisher, who was a World Cup winner in 2014.
Jasmine is currently on a year-long break from Cardiff Met, to focus on developing her game, and said: "It was an absolute honour to receive this – it's an award I most certainly wasn't expecting.
"As always, it was an amazing atmosphere and experience at the awards, and to receive my award in front of so many talented athletes was a pleasure. It made it extra special that I was able to go up there and collect the award not only for myself, but also for a very special person to us all at Cardiff Met - Elli Norkett.
"The University has been excellent in giving me the opportunity to play the sport I love, and have been supportive in accommodating both my rugby career and workload."
The University's Men's Football Club was named Club of the Year in recognition of their recent star performance – they are just a game away from the UEFA Europa League after a nail-biting play-off semi-final against Carmarthen Town on Saturday.
Their former coach, Director of Football and former Wales international Dr Christian Edwards, has led them to this Saturday's Welsh Premier League Play Off Final against Bangor after just one season in the Welsh Premier League. He was given the accolade of the Sportec Trophy - Coach of the Year.
University President and Vice Chancellor Cara Aitchison presented the women's football team with The Principal's Award.
Other awards included:
- The Frank Cartmell Trophy – Best Student Administrator/Organiser - Robert Mant (Men's Futsal)
- The Darren Griffiths Trophy – The most successful student not in the school of sport - James Wilcox (Korfbal)
- Most Improved Team – Men's Basketball 1st
- Most Improved Individual - Amy Odunaiya - Lynn Davies
- Services to Cardiff Met Sport - Sarah Wagstaff (Basketball)
- Athletic Union Award of Merit Morgan Jones (Athletics)
- Cardiff Community Sport Award - Lusi Lawler (Cycling – Wheel Women)
- Pinnacle Campus Sport Coordinator of the Year - Dominic Smith (PCS Tennis)
- The President's Cup - Alex Dombrandt (Men's Rugby)
- Fresher of the Year - Scott Oates (Badminton)
- Most Valuable Player - Judit Fritz (Women's Basketball)
- The Principal's Award - Women's Football
- The Sportec Trophy – Coach of the Year - Christian Edwards (Men's football)
- The Stuart Griffiths "Club of the Year" - Men's Football
- Willmott Dixon Sports Personality of the Year - Jasmine Joyce (Rugby)