The group produces innovative, excellent and unique research and made a significant and successful contribution to REF 2014. The sociological and philosophical study of sport at Cardiff Met has a strong and long standing global reputation. There is a strong focus on ethics, equality and moral agency, mental and physical illness, social theory and methods, sporting sub-cultures, embodiment, nationalism and socio-political change. Examples of research include critique of national eligibility laws, gender testing, martial arts culture, doping policy and female athletic embodiment.
Main Areas of Research Include:
- Nationalism, national identity and cosmopolitanism.
- Moral development, character, role models and responsibility.
- Cheating, fair play, equality and fairness
- Race, gender and sexual orientation
- Illness, addiction, disorder and biographical disruption
- Research and professional ethics
- The body, sport and physical culture
- Continuity, sustainability and change
- Qualitative methodology
Sociology and Philosophy Staff
Professor Carwyn Jones
Professor Scott Fleming
Dr David Brown
Dr Harry Bowles
Dr Lisa Edwards
Dr Alun Hardman
Dr Neil Hennessy