Name: Melissa Roberts
Course: Sports Conditioning, Rehabilitation and
Year of study: 1st Year
I'm a 200m/400m sprinter and I have represented Wales as an U17/U20 and for their senior team whilst still being in the junior age group. Since starting Cardiff Met I have become Welsh Senior Indoor 200m Champion beating the previous championship record that I set in 2015. I opened up with a 60m personal best and a seasons best for the 200m where I am close to my outdoor personal best.
My sporting achievements include:
- 2017 Welsh Senior Indoor 200m Champion in a CBP (Championship Best Performance)
- 2017 4x200m relay bronze medal BUCs.
- 2015 Welsh Senior Indoor 200m Champion in a CBP (Championship Best Performance)
- 2014 4x100m Relay Welsh U20 Record holder
- 2014 Welsh U20 Indoor 400m Champion
- 2013 Welsh U17 Indoor 300m Champion
- 2013 Welsh U17 Outdoor 300m Champion
- 2013 Welsh Schools 300m Champion
- 2013 - 2nd at Celtic Games 200M U18
- 2012 Welsh U17 Inter Regional 300m Champion
- 2011 Welsh U15 Outdoor 300m Champion
What difference has the scholarship made ?
This scholarship has enabled me to work towards my goal of representing Team GB in the Olympics and beyond, without it, I wouldn't be able to afford it. When I started at Cardiff Met, being in full time education created many obstacles for me. Firstly, I don't live on campus; I travel from Chepstow, which means paying to park on campus is essential and this can cost up to £10 a week. One of the benefits of my scholarship is that the university paid for and provided me with a parking permit to eliminate the stress and cost of this.
Another benefit of my scholarship is that I get physiotherapy, sports massage and access to the track/gym for free. During each training session I put my body under exceptional stress and it is important that I look after it and help aid recovery as effectively as I can, eliminating the cost of the sports massage and physiotherapy means that my only contribution is paying for my travel.
I train in between my lectures and I don't have time to travel off campus to buy food during the day; because of that, I chose to have a catering allowance on my student card. This is extremely useful because it allows me to quickly grab food between lectures and training.