Instituional Provision and Accommodation
- Mindmapping (Mindview) and text to speech software (Claroread Plus) is available on all networked computers on campus; however, this is not available for students to download for use on their personal machines.
- School Liaison IT Officers are in close contact with school and course representatives and are there to listen, offer advice and improve the IT experience for staff and students at the university. More information regarding School Liaison IT Advisors is available here.
- Students can download a range of free software including anti-malware, MS Office 365 and some course specific software. They can also access up to 1TB of free cloud based storage.
- Loan laptops are available on short term basis but demand for this is high and there may be a waiting list.
Details of how to reserve a laptop and a full list of available software is available via the IT home site.
DSA Computer contribution
Students studying at Cardiff Metropolitan University can apply to the Hardship Fund to meet this cost. This is means tested and funding is not guaranteed. Details on how to apply are available here or you can contact the Wellbeing Service for more information.
Library Services / Learning Support
The Library Service is able to offer the following support:
- Pre-bookable rooms with networked assistive software
- Electronic versions of core textbooks, the Library Service is able to procure electronic versions of other books and resources where available upon request.
- Subject specific librarians who can offer additional guidance on accessing resources and library facilities
- Reservations service which allows students to collect items directly from the main desk
- Arrange access to materials not on site
- Access for support workers to visit the library and collect materials on the behalf of students
- Flexible library loans.
There are a number of student residences available which differ in facilities and cost including catered/self-catering, en-suite and adapted rooms. If you require further information for the purposes of a DSA recommendation please contact the Wellbeing Service directly.
Learning and Teaching
Teaching methods vary between courses as do the number of contact hours and type of session. Lecture capture via Panopto is used but is not available in all teaching venues or across all courses. Cardiff Metropolitan is therefore unable to guarantee lecture capture facilities for all sessions and advises that alternative recording methods are recommended for students via the DSA.
Cardiff Metropolitan University does not recommend individual firms; however the following firms have been identified by SFE as approved suppliers:
Dragon Taxis - 029 2033 3333
Non-Medical Helper Support
Cardiff Metropolitan Wellbeing Service is able to offer the following non-medical helper roles at the rates listed in the table below. Our rates are also available on the DSA-QAG registered NMH list. One quote only is required for non-SFE funded students.
|Practial Support Assistant||£16.68 per hour|
|Library Assistant||£16.68 per hour|
|Workshop/lab assistant||£16.68 per hour|
|Examination Support Worker|
|£16.68 per hour|
|Notetaker||£16.68 per hour|
|Assistive Technology Training||£53 per hour|
|Specialist One to One Study Skills Support||£53 per hour|
Please note that no VAT is charged by Cardiff Metropolitan Wellbeing Service for these roles.
Our preferred second supplier for NMH support is Clearlinks
Cardiff Met Wellbeing Service is only able to provide ASD specialist mentoring via Autistic Spectrum Connections Cymru. If you are an external needs assessor intending to recommend other forms of specialist mentoring for a Cardiff Met student please contact us to discuss how we can best support their needs.
Specialist support services such as BSL interpreters are arranged via the Wellbeing Service to support students. Please contact us if you require further information.
All Cardiff Metropolitan support staff are recruited, trained and supervised in accordance with university procedures ensuring all work carried out is quality assured and in line with the DSA-QAG Non-Medical Helper Quality Assurance framework.
Cardiff Metropolitan Wellbeing Service
Tel: 02920 416170
Bands 1&2 NMH support and general NMH queries: Neil Davies (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Specialist One to One Study Skills Support and AT Training: Tony Smith (email@example.com)
Specialist Mentor (ASD) provided by Autism Spectrum Connections Cymru:
21 High Street
Tel: 02920 228794