Student Services>Disability Service>Prospective Students

Prospective Students


​​​How do I let Cardiff Met know about my support needs?

If you have a disability you will need to complete the Students with Disabilities section of your ​UCAS application. If Cardiff Met is your first or insurance choice, or you have received an unconditional offer you then need to contact the Disability Service, contact details can be accessed by following this link.

Studying at un​iversity offers a very different experience to your time at school. You will be expected to take responsibility for your own learning and support arrangements. We will, of course, help however we place a great deal of emphasis on "student responsibility" if you decide to come to Cardiff Met.

Is my disability recognised?

At Cardiff Met we currently support over a thousand students with a range of disabilities which include:

  • Hearing Impairments
  • Visual Impairments
  • Medical issues such as Epilepsy, Diabetes, and ME
  • Dyslexia or other Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLD)
  • Mental Health support
  • Autism and Aspergers Syndrome (ASD)​​
  • Physical Disabilities

If you are not sure whether we could offer you help please contact us for a discussion.

Can I get support?

Yes, providing you meet certain criteria.

The Disability Service is able to arrange support for you:

  • At lectures, seminars, practical sessions etc
  • When applying for Disabled Students Allowance
  • For examinations. You may require extra time, a scribe or a reader
  • By arranging a Dyslexia screening
  • By providing you with Study Skills sessions

What support can I get?

This depends on the outcome of your Needs Assessment. This assessment is in depth and is based around your individual learning needs. Your Needs Assessment could recommend certain software packages or other assistive technologies and appropriate equipment. It may also recommend practical support (see below).

Can I have specialist 1:1 support as I had this in school?

Again this depends on the outcome of your Needs Assessment. At Cardiff Met we do have a pool of Support Workers who support students in lectures, seminars, practical sessions and during exams and assessments. They may act as note takers, personal assistants, non medical helpers or befrienders for students. Specialist one to one study support is also available.

What if I have to take time off as a result of my disability/medical condition?

If this is a worry you should come in and talk to one of our Disability Advisers. They will be able to give you advice on Disabled Students' Allowance. If this is agreed this would pay for a periodic note taker for lectures. You would also need to discuss your medical condition with your course tutor to give them an understanding of what your condition means for you and your studies. Provision like extensions to assignments could then be put into place.

What about help during exams?

As previously mentioned you may be entitled to additional support at exam time.
During exams you could receive support in the form of a scribe, reader, extra time or the use of a laptop. You would not be able to receive any additional support at exam time without seeing a Disability Adviser, further exam information can be found by following this link.

Do I have to inform the university about my disability?

Cardiff Met encourages all its prospective and current students to disclose their disability, learning difficulty, mental health issue or medical condition. We can then put appropriate support or "reasonable adjustments" in place which ensures you are not put at a disadvantage during your time studying with us.

Related Documents