Student Services>Health>EU Students

Information for European Economic Area (EEA) Students


Before you leave home
It is advisable that you are up to date with all routine immunisations
including Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella and if you are a first year for the first time and under 25 years old Meningitis ACWY.

Bring with you
We advise that you bring enough medication to last you a month, your prescriptions and (unless you are able to explain clearly) a doctor's letter/report (translated into English), detailing your condition, treatment, medication and any further assistance you will need during your time in the UK

When you arrive

Registering with a GP (General Practitioner/Local Doctor)

Why Register?
If you register with a GP you become part of the National Health Service (NHS) and will have access to the same Health facilities as British Citizens.

What is the NHS?
The NHS is the state health service within the UK, which provides UK residents with treatment through health care services.

Who can register?
All EEA students who are studying on a course of 6 months or more are eligible to register with a GP in the area in which they live. Dependent Family members (Spouse, Civil Partner and/or Children) living with you in the UK, will also be entitled to NHS treatment. Children include those up to the age of 16 years, or 19 years if they are in full time education.

If you are on a course lasting less than 6 months:
Obtain your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before coming to the UK. This entitles you to NHS treatment but you may have to pay at the time of treatment and claim the money back when you return home. This does not replace the need for travel insurance, so please ensure you also have satisfactory travel insurance arrangements.

Tuberculosis (TB) Screening 
If you have lived in a country with a high prevalence of TB for a prolonged period of time you may be required to have a TB Screening.
On your arrival at University please contact your University Nurse for further information.


Nurses at Cardiff Metropolitan University
The Nurse at the University is based at Cyncoed Campus. You can visit them or email

 If your EHIC card expires while in are in the UK
To find out if you are eligible to apply for a card from the UK, telephone the Business Service Authority Tel: 0300 3301350

For more Information
The following websites may be useful

UK Council for International Student Affairs
Who is entitled to National Service treatment in Wales?
Study UK