Key Members and Co-investigators:
- Professor Jon Platts, Dean, Cardiff School of Technologies
- Dr Pengcheng Liu, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff School of Technologies
- Dr Simon Thorne, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff School of Technologies
- Dr Fiona Carroll, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff School of Technologies
- Dr Thanuja Mallikarachchi, Lecturer, Cardiff School of Technologies
Nigel Jones, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff School of Technologies
Lisa Fenn, Lecturer, Cardiff School of Education
Dr Nikolaos Konstantakis, Senior Lecturer, Cardiff School of Education
- Dr Sia Chow Siing, Senior Lecturer, the Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Cardif School of Management
Current Internship and Researchers
- David Shuyang Hu
- Joel Pinney
- Corrine Ngandu
- Holly Jiya Zhao
- Jack Jiaji Yang
- Henry Gerui Zhang
- Junliang Liu
- Junbo Qi
- Aaron Joseph Smith
- Eliza Ioana Georgescu
- Alberto Campuzano
- Ervin Visitacion
- Vincent Moses Muzuva
- Pawr Dip
- David Basch
- Cairen Carol, Graduated (MSc Information Technology Management)
- Fiona Li, Graduated as the Best Student of the academic year 2017/2018 in MSc in Data Science
- George Henry Chester Burns, Graduated as one of the best Dissertation titled: Service Robots in the Automobile Salesperson Profession (BSc in Computing)
- Stuart Hartley, BSc in Computer Science, Cardiff School of Technologies
- Bingyan Zhang, Graduated (BSc in Education, Cardiff School of Education)
Research and Innovation Projects
We conduct research and innovation focusing on robotics for education, hospitality, tourism and healthcare industry. We deliver robotics workshops and competitions for schools across Wales to enhance the STEAM education amongst young people, particularly girls.
A. The STEAM Lab: Robotics for Education
1. Robotics in Language Teaching,"Robot Dewey, the Language Tutor"
2. STEAM Education with Robot Dewey and JD Robots for Blanycwm (2017/2018):
3. STEM-STEAM Workshops across Schools:
- Funded by the First Campus and respective schools.
- National Saturday Club Science 2019: Supporting an endurance athlete through an expedition
- Ysgol Gyfun Cwm Rhymni (Feb 2019)
- Barry Island Primary School (March 2019)
- Blanycwm School (April 2019)
We run the introductory 500-years history of robotics and advanced technologies workshop, and the hands-on robotic programming workshops for primary and secondary schools throughout the academic year with a yearly robotics competition. All STEAM Lab programmes aims to promote the interdisiplinary and creative education, putting an "A" (Arts) within the STEM. In addition, we can host See Science-funded Teachers CPD to visit EUREKA Robotics lab for teacher training. Please contact Dr Esyin Chew (email@example.com), Lisa Fenn (LSFenn@cardiffmet.ac.uk), Nigel Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Fiona Carroll (FCarroll@cardiffmet.ac.uk) for further details.
4. Team Quest: Richard Sparks Expedition with a Humanoid Robot at the South Pole
- Funded by Cardiff Marketing and External Relation & Cardiff School of Technologies
Team: Professor Jon Platts, John Cavani, Dr Esyin Chew, Holly Jiya Zhao, Henry Gerui Zhang, Jack Jiaji Yang and Vincent Moses Muzuva.
- Cardiff Met Partners With Extreme Athlete Richard Parks (http://www.richardparks.co.uk) Ahead of Antarctica Expedition: http://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/news/Pages/Cardiff-Met-Partners-with-Extreme-Athlete-Richard-Parks-Ahead-of-Antarctica-Expedition.aspx
- Meet Richard's expedition partner - NAO from our CST
- Cardiff Metropolitan University Partners with Team Quest
- Richard Parks | NAO and School of Technologies video
5. Cardiff School of Technologies Marketing Robots for Corporate Branding:
Team: Professor Dr Jon Platts, Dr Jason Williams, Dr Esyin Chew, Programme Directors, Corrine Ngandu, Pawr Dips and all interns at Cardiff School of Technologies
Press and Photos:
(1) Eureka Robotics Lab at Eisteddfod! (2018) Cardiff Local TV:
(2) Open Days at Cardiff Metropolitan University
(3) Global Week (March 2019)
B. Robotics for Tourism and Hospitality:
1. Bi-lingual (English and Welsh) Robot Concierge at Kizuna and Tanabata Exhibition:
2. Bi-lingual (English and Thai) Robot for British Council Thailand (Aug 2019)
Team: Dr Esyin Chew and Pawr Dip
Further information will be available.
3. Multi-lingual Humanoid Robotics for Hospitality with Service Intelligence
C. Robotics for Healthcare:
- Robot Nightingale for Rehabilitation: Junbo Qi
- Robotic Play Specialist for Children: Jungliang Liu
- Robotics Upper Limb Assistant for Rehabilitation: Aaron Smith
Further information will be available.
Publications, Public Engagement, Press and Media
- Platts, J. & Chew, E. (2019) The Taxonomy of Social Robotics in the EUREKA Robotics Lab, the 4th World Congress of Robotics, 31st Aug - 1st Sept,2019, Shenyang, China.
- Esyin Chew (2019) Artificial Intelligence: Robotics, the curriculum and inclusion, Invited Festival of Higher Education Speaker, the University of Buckingham. http://www.hefestival.com/speakers-2019
- Dr Liu Pengcheng is invited to give a keynote speech at the 3rd Micius Forum (墨子论坛) hosted by The University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), April, Hefei, China, 2019. https://wales247.co.uk/the-cardiff-lecturer-leading-the-way-in-autonomous-robotic-systems/
- Liu, P., Huda, M.N., Tang, Z. and Sun, L. (2019). A self-propelled robotic system with a visco-elastic joint: dynamics and motion analysis. Engineering with Computers, pp.1-15.
- EUREKA Robotics Lab (2019 )
Written Evidence by EUREKA Robotics Lab, Cardiff School of Technologies,
UK Parliment Education Committee's Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Chew, E. (2018) In Love and War with Service Robots: the Passionate Deployment, Challenges and National Policy Implications, Springer's Communications in Computer and Information Science. Keynote of the 6th International Conference on Robot Intelligence technology and Applications: Robotics and Machine Intelligence: Building Blocks for Industry 4.0, Springer's Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering (LNME) 16-18 Dec 2018,
http://2018.icrita.org/index.php [ISI – Scopus indexed]
- Eureka Robotics Lab at Eisteddfod! (2018) Meeting the Welsh Robots, Cardiff Local TV.
- Cardiff Met News (2018) Cardiff Met humanoid robots greet guests at National Museum Cardiff's new Japan Exhibition
- National Museum Cardiff (2018a)
- National Museum Cardiff (2018b) https://twitter.com/Museum_Cardiff/status/1014441200823230469
- CardiffMet Tweet (2018b) Humanoid Robots at National Museum Cardiff
- Cardiff Met News (2018a) School Children Given Tech-Tastic Insight into Robotics with Cardiff Met team.
- Chew, E. (2017) What are the implications of artificial intelligence? In Love and War, Written Evidence, UK Parliment Artificial Intelligence Select Committee's Publications.
- EUREKA Robotics Competition (2019) Award Ceremony; Certificate and Congratulations from the CEO, Optimusic Ltd; winners from Barry Island Primary School; Blaenycwm School at EUREKA Robotics.
- Robotics Workshops hosted by Nigel Jones (2019) In conjunction with the 2019 EUREKA Robotics Competition Award Ceremony: Golf playing, mini golf course, ROV underwater robots, brilliant Maths problem solving challenge; coding to create pictures and Painting robots.
- First Campus (2019) Sanbot the robot is helping Dr Esyin Chew welcome Barry Island Primary School and Plaenycwm Primary School to Cardiff Met University.
- First Campus at EisteddfodUrdd (2019) Cardiff Met stand with JD; the robotics lab Interns were interviewed by Welsh TV.
- Barry Island Tweet (2019) Fantastic time discovering the endless possibilities of robotics!
- Saturday Science Club (2019) A Welsh speaking robot programmed by a Sat Science Club pupil.
- STEM Workshops at Barry Island (2019a) Incredible Huamnoid Robotics Workshops Inspiring Young Minds with a Huge Barry Island thank you.
- STEAM Workshops at Barry Island (2019b) Raising public Awareness on Robotics and AI Careers and Salaries.
- STEAM Workshops at Barry Island (2019c) Raising Teachers and Students Awareness on Job Risks due to Robotics and AI, wih Ethical and Social Implications ; with Full of Thoughtful Questions!
- STEAM Workshops at Barry Island (2019d) Fascinating Barry Island Primary School with Historical Facts of Humanoid Robot and the First Modern British Robot, Eric.
- STEM Workshops at Barry Island (2019e) Fun Engagemeng and Inspiring at Barry Island Primary School with NAO's Gangnam Style; Taiji Kungfu; playing virtual chess with a robot; instructing Humanoid Robot to floss and to selfie -- Creating awe and wonder among children!
- First Campus (2018) KS2 Humanoid Robotics Competition Awards Ceremony. https://www.firstcampus.org/project/humanoid-robotics-competition-awards-ceremony
- CardiffMet Tweet (2018a) Brynmawr School have been working with Cardiff School of Technologies to learn more about humanoid robots. https://twitter.com/cardiffmet/status/1012750125272387586
Students' Robotics Projects on Youtube:
- Jin Robot: the Child Specialist (2018)
- Robotic Play Specialist (2018)
- Play Therapist Robot with Pandora Chatbot (2018)
- Chip Concierge Robot (2018)
- RTwoD2 Medical Assistant Humanoid Robot (2018)
- AVA Baby Sitter for infant (2017)
- Dutch Language Tutor (2017)
Facilities and Partners
Facilities: two physical labs with access to 17 robots, various AI and robotics software, advanced AR kit, mobile and wearable devices, PCs, laptops, video conference facilities, TV and 3D printers for key members to build the parts of the robots.
OptiMusic Ltd, API Robotics Ltd,
Monash University Malaysia,
University of Malaya
Beijing Normal University,
Norwegian University of Science and Technology, 316 Smart Home Café.
Emotion Robotics Ltd. , University of South Wales, Cardiff & Vale University Health Board,
Karl-Franzens-Universität Graz Austria, Universidade de Lisboa,
National Human Rights Commission Malaysia,
Team Quest, various Schools in Wales,
National Museum Cardiff, See Science Ltd. and etc.
Join us for PhD and Master in research
The EUREKA Robotics Lab recruits highly motivated, academically-strong PhD and Master Researchers who are able to develop world-class humanoid robotics projects and will contribute to the research knowledge that will have real industrial, public and social impact.
Studying for a research degree is a highly rewarding but challenging process. You will be supervised by professional but friendly academics supported by a research team and external collaborators or robotics vendors. Networking with like-minded interdisciplinary individuals, you will push the research boundaries of our understanding about service and social robotics landscape, and work to become a leading expert in your topic area with regular contact and supervision with your supervisors.
Most research projects would involve real stakeholders which you will gain project management, critical communication and presentation skills, as well as leadership, possible business and innovation skills; and the ability to seek solutions to complex, multifaceted problems.
The higher research degree can be self-funded or industrial/research project-funded. Please see the following themes in the lab (not limited to):
- Humanoid Robots for Healthcare or Rehabilitation
- Service Robots for Hospitality
- Service Robots in Tourism
- STEAM Education with Humanoid Robotics
- Educational robots with AI capabilities
- Social Robots with AI capabilities
- Neuro-Science and Humanoid Robots
- Aesthetics and Robotics
- Affective Robotics
- Data Analytics and Visualisation for Humanoid Robots
- Social Media Harvesting with Bot
- Chatbot with Artificial Intelligence techniques, e.g. neural networks
- Machine Learning for Human-Robots Interactions
- Expert System with Rule-based Reasoning
- Robotics Control with Augmented Reality
- Robotics Ethics and Social proposition
- Robotics legal and Policy Implications
- Computational learning and optimization for autonomous systems, e.g., learn from demonstration, imitation learning
- Bio-inspired robotic design and bio-inspired control
- Self-propelled capsule robotic systems for minimally invasive diagnosis
Please email your initial research interest or idea to Dr Pengchengliu (email@example.com) or Dr Fiona Carroll (FCarroll@cardiffmet.ac.uk)
Training, Consultancy, Robotics Solutions and Service
UK Artificial Intelligence Select Committee published the founder of Eureka Robotics Lab, Dr Esyin Chew’s written evidence
1 that discuss the impact of AI and robotics in society: the intelligent technologies, from computers to robots that mimic human’s intelligence and five senses, for learning, analytical reasoning, business decision making, real-life problem solving and companionship. However, is AI in the UK ready, willing and able
Back to the Future and Star Wars are our key team members’ favourite movies, and the future is here due to the Fourth Industrial Revolution10,11! Eureka Robotics Lab bring the future to Wales by empowering businesses and public sector with the capability and capacity of the world leading robot technologies from China, Japan, Canada, Malaysia and Australia for the following initiatives:
A. Funding and Investment Opportunities for robot sourcing, development and customisation
We are specialists in service and social robots and develop customised humanoid robotics solution based on customers’ requirements. With the aim of developing smart specialisation and smart citizens for Wales, we hope to support strategic industrial technical challenges with robotics and AI on commercialisation and exploitation of new products, processes or services and growth for businesses and public sectors. Further details of possible funding available can be found below:
B. Training, Consultancy and Workshop Delivery
With minimum charges, we provide customised training, workshops and consultancy for businesses or public sectors to explore more about robotics solutions and services, as well as data and social media harvesting and analytics.
C. Humanoid Robot Rental, Purchase & Event Service
Finding a new interesting way to spark your exhibition or event? How about a humanoid robot to dance, talk, interact or serve your customers or visitors?
It is our pleasure to make your event or exhibition a world-class sales and marketing gimmicks with unique and stunning customers’ or visitors’ experience. Please contact Dr Esyin Chew (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dr Simon Throne (email@example.com) for further details.
Keith Dunn OBE (Honorary Consul for Japan in Wales); First Minister Carwyn Jones AM, Dr Simon Thorne (Senior Lecturer at Cardiff School of Technologies) and Robot Dewey from Cardiff School of Technologies.