International>Global Student Advisory Service>January 2021 Frequently Asked Questions

January 2021 Frequently Asked Questions

Where will I self-isolate?

  • You can self-isolate at accommodation arranged by the university if you arrive in Cardiff on specific dates and you book the accommodation in advance using the booking form sent to you via email. This is applicable to students only. Family members cannot self-isolate in this accommodation. 
  • You can also self-isolate in the accommodation where you will be staying long-term. See guidance here: 

You should self-isolate in one place for the full 10 days, where you can have food and other necessities delivered, and stay away from others. You must self-isolate at the address you provided on the Passenger Locator Form.

This can include: 

  • your own home
  • staying with friends or family
  • a hotel or other temporary accommodation 

You should not have visitors, including friends and family, unless they are providing essential care. The only friends and family who you can have contact with are those who travelled with you or people who you are staying with. 

You cannot go out to work or school or visit public areas. You should not go shopping unless necessary - if you require help buying groceries, other shopping or picking up medication, you should ask friends or relatives or order a delivery. 

In Wales, a person who is isolating must not leave their premises to exercise. In Wales, you can only leave your premises in limited circumstances.

In Wales, you can only leave your premises in limited circumstances.

The people you're staying with do not need to self-isolate, unless they travelled with you or you develop the symptoms of coronavirus. 

The people you're staying with do not need to stay at home, unless they travelled with you. Avoid contact with them and minimise the time you spend in shared spaces, like kitchens, bathrooms and sitting areas. 

If you’re staying in a hotel or guest house or temporary accommodation, you must stay away from others who didn’t travel with you, so it’s important that you don’t use shared areas such as bars, restaurants, health clubs and sports facilities. Stay 2 metres apart from other people staying there at all times. 

It is important to avoid contact with other people in your home in order to reduce the risk of transmitting coronavirus. You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from other people in your home. 

If you can, you should use a separate bathroom from the rest of the household. If you have to share these facilities, regular cleaning will be required after each person has used them. Make sure you use separate towels from the other people in your house, both for drying yourself after bathing or showering and for hand-hygiene purposes.

Can I move to other accommodation during my 10 day self-isolation period?

You should not change the place where you are isolating except in limited circumstances. These circumstances will include where:

  • a legal obligation requires you to change the premises at which you reside for the purpose of an isolation requirement;
  • you are otherwise unable to remain at the premises at which you are residing for the purpose of an isolation requirement. 

If this happens, you must complete a new Passenger Locator Form with the address of the alternative premises as soon as is reasonably practicable.

Is there an airport welcome this year?

This year, we are offering a free airport transfer if you fly into Cardiff Airport. If you inform us of your flight details in advance, we will arrange a taxi to take you to your accommodation. We are also offering a free airport welcome service from London Heathrow Airport on the following dates:

Friday 22nd January 2021 – Booking deadline: Thursday 14th January 2021 

Saturday 6th February 2021 – Booking deadline: Friday 29th January 2021 

Sunday 21st February 2021 – Booking deadline: Saturday 13th February 2021 

Monday 8th March 2021 – Booking deadline: Sunday 28th February 2021 

Please note: students must book a flight that lands at Heathrow before 7.00pm to use the airport welcome service. 

Further information can be found here.

An email will be sent to you with booking instructions. For enquiries, contact

What should I do if I feel unwell whilst self-isolating?

For advice, you should call NHS direct on 0845 46 47 or visit This is a free service. You will be asked about your symptoms and given advice about what you should do. You should not go to the hospital if you are self-isolating. If you would prefer to speak to you in your own language, you can ask for an interpreter/translator. See here for more details:

I am self-isolating and feel unwell (not Covid-related) but I need to get some medication, what should I do?

If you are not registered with a doctor in the UK, but you need medicine, you can purchase medication from a pharmacy online such as Boots.  You can only register with a doctor (GP) once you have a UK address (Not a temporary address where you are self-isolating). When you have moved into your accommodation, you must register with a doctor’s surgery located near to your new home. This is a list of surgeries in Cardiff. For information about registering, check the surgeries’ websites.

What if I have coronavirus symptoms?

You should look for any of the following symptoms in the 10 days after the day you arrive in the UK:

  • new continuous cough
  • high temperature
  • loss or change to your sense of smell or taste 

Use this link to do a self-assessment for coronavirus symptoms.: 

If you have any of these symptoms, you should continue to isolate at home. If you are staying with others and you develop symptoms, the whole household that you are staying with will need to begin isolating

You should apply for a test if you have the symptoms of coronavirus. Please see the guidance on testing for more information. 

If you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, or your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not get better after 7 days, then use the NHS Wales 111 online coronavirus (COVID-19) service. If you do not have internet access, call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999. You MUST NOT go to the hospital or leave your room whilst you are waiting for your test result or while you are isolating unless you are advised to do so by a medical professional. 

If you develop symptoms, you must isolate for at least 10 days from the point you arrived in the UK and if you get symptoms during that time for at least 7 days from symptom onset, until you are better and no longer have a high temperature. You will need to isolate for 10 days from the time that you arrived in the UK even if you have had and recovered from coronavirus symptoms in this time. If you are tested and receive a negative result for coronavirus, you must continue to isolate until you have reached the end of the 10 day period, even if your symptoms have gone. 

If you arrived in the UK more than 10 days ago, you do not need to continue self-isolation once you have had symptoms for 7 days and your temperature has returned to normal. Symptoms of a cough or changes to your sense of smell or taste can last for several weeks after the infection has gone and so you can stop self-isolating even if you have these symptoms. The household you are staying with should isolate for 10 days from day after your symptoms start. 

If you develop new symptoms or your existing symptoms worsen within your 10-day isolation period, then please contact NHS Wales 111 again and follow their advice.

I am self-isolating but need to get shopping, can I go to the shops briefly?

Whilst you are self-isolating, you should not leave your accommodation for 14 days. You will need to purchase your shopping online. The following supermarkets offer online grocery delivery services: 




Morrisons (Amazon Prime Now)

Morrisons (Deliveroo)



Co-op (Deliveroo)


Marks and Spencer (Ocado and Deliveroo)




Or try this delivery service Deliver Buzz 

You can also order takeaway meals here:

For more information, see the Welsh Government guidance here:

How can I find permanent accommodation after self-isolating?

The Global Student Advisory Service is here to help you search for permanent accommodation once you have completed your 14-day self-isolation. Although there is plenty of private accommodation in Cardiff, you may need to book yourself into a hotel for a few days while you find a suitable property. You can utilise your time in self-isolation to research available properties in Cardiff and arrange viewings of properties as soon as possible once you have completed your self-isolation. 

Please do not pay a deposit and sign a contract for any accommodation before you have had chance to view and fully inspect a property in person. Some houses can look very different in photographs and videos. Accommodation contracts are legally binding and once signed you will be committed to paying the rent for the property for the whole duration of the tenancy. Therefore, it is very important that you are able to check the property thoroughly before making this commitment. 

The Global Student Advisory Service will be holding live webinars with advice about finding permanent accommodation. We are also available by telephone, email and video call to help you with your queries.

Do I need to wear a mask/face covering?

Yes, you will be required to wear a face covering in all indoor public places. This includes supermarkets, cafes, university and on public transport etc. 

The requirement applies to everyone aged 11 and over. However, there are some limited exceptions which can be viewed in the Welsh Government here:

I need to open a bank account, how do I do this?

You should bring a Mastercard or visa debit/credit card with you to the UK to ensure you can purchase groceries and essentials online because you WILL NOT be permitted to leave your room for 14 days after arrival. 

Many banks will accept a PDF version of a letter that can be produced by the Global Student Advisory Service. The letter will not need to be addressed to the specific bank. To request a letter to open a bank account, students MUST be enrolled and living in their long-term accommodation. It may not be possible to open a bank account if you are staying in a hotel or temporary accommodation

To request a letter to open a bank account after enrolling and arriving in the UK, email and provide your student number, full name, course title, UK address in the email.

What should I bring with me?

  • You must bring a laptop to allow you to study online. You must engage with studies as soon as the course induction begins and your engagement will be monitored in accordance with Tier 4 immigration regulations
  • A face mask/face covering for use on the airplane and public transport
  • Hand sanitiser to ensure you keep your hands clean
  • A Mastercard or Visa debit /credit card to ensure you can purchase online groceries when you are self-isolating as you will not be permitted to leave your room. After self-isolating, many shops are also insisting on card payments only to avoid handling cash and risk spreading the virus
  • A mobile phone with international roaming switched on. This is essential to allow people to be tracked and traced if there is a coronavirus outbreak

Will I be studying on campus?

Cardiff Metropolitan University has announced that online-only delivery will continue until at least the end of February 2021 due to the ongoing threat from Covid-19 . The University have not taken the decision to extend online teaching lightly but feel it is a necessary step to protect our students, staff and our wider community. The University will review the situation on 8 February 2021 as to whether in-person teaching can resume from March 2021 onwards or whether the online learning period will need to be extended. 

We understand that international students may be reluctant to travel to the UK at the current time and therefore our advice is to commence your studies online from your home country until the resumption of teaching on our campuses. By remaining where you are and continuing your studies online, you are helping to reduce the risk of transmission of the virus, particularly resulting from travel and social interaction. 

 If you choose to travel, we strongly recommend that you make plans to travel on the dates that we have a free airport welcome and free self-isolation accommodation available. If you travel outside of these dates, you will be required to make your own way to Cardiff and arrange your own self-isolation accommodation. For further detail, please see the Cardiff Met website: Practical Information COVID-19 Self-Isolation Accommodation

Can I go to campus whenever I want?

When the current restrictions are lifted, the campus will be ready to welcome you. You will need to come to campus to attend your onsite course activities as part of your timetable. You may also wish to use the Library and IT facilities or visit the Student Union. At the current time you do not need to come to campus to meet your personal tutor, student services or to meet with our Global Student Advisory Team as these services can only be accessed digitally with one to one meetings and the full support services you would expect, but without having to come to campus to see us! Read more here.

How can I travel to campus?

  • Use a Next Bike – these are bicycles for hire found in various locations around the city
  • Find a bus route using the Cardiff Bus website and go to ‘plan a journey’ and ‘routes and maps’

You may wish to take a taxi which you can order online or via an app: 

You must wear a face covering or mask to travel using public transport. If you do not have a face covering, you will not be permitted to travel.

How can I get a part-time job?

There are a variety of opportunities available in some employment sectors, such as food retail stores and the care industry, but other sectors remain limited:

  • Contact Cardiff Met’s Careers Service for advice and help with CVs
  • Cardiff Met SU can also advise on CVs etc.
  • Contact local food and retail outlets directly
  • Search online for “part-time jobs in Cardiff”
  • Or search engines/employment agencies such as Indeed or Total Jobs

When should I pay my fees?

Please visit our Fees and Money Matters pages for more information.

How can I meet other students?

You will be able to meet your classmates via some online and some face to face seminars during your course. There will also be some virtual social activities hosted by the Global Student Advisory Service that you could join. Details about the programme of activities will be advertised soon. The Students’ union will also be hosting some activities for you to join in with.

What if I have any problems, who should I speak to?

  • If you have problems or questions about your course please contact your Course Director or Personal Tutor. Your school administrator may also be able to help
  • The Global Student Advisory Service offers a range of support including welfare, immigration and academic advice. To contact them: 
      • Email: 
      • Tel: 029 2041 6494 
      • Video appointment via Microsoft Teams: Visit Met Hub and filter by topic “International students - welfare advice” to book a time that’s appropriate for you 
  • For any other issues that may be affecting you, Student Services offer a range of services such as Wellbeing and Money advice

I don’t understand what is expected of me with my assignments. Can someone help?

You can talk to your tutors for academic guidance and the International Academic Advice Service also provides Individual tutorials, Academic Writing Seminars and general advice:

How do I enrol?

You will be sent an email with a link to complete the self-enrolment. You will need to use the username and password provided in the email to log in. You will also be sent a link to watch a video to help you input the correct details onto the enrolment screens. If you have any questions, you can contact

Will there be a party/events that I can attend?

Due to social distancing restrictions, we are unable to offer our usual welcome party and events this year. There will be virtual events, such as the Met Social programme, you can attend and we hope to hold in person events as soon as we are permitted to and it is safe to do so.

How do I get my timetable?

It is important that you read your course joining instructions and learn about your induction programme. Your course timetable will be sent to you by your Programme Team.

How can I collect my BRP?

You have been sent an email from This provides important instructions that you must follow. It advises that you must upload some documents, provide your contact details and have an appointment via Microsoft Teams to verify your identity. Your BRP will then be sent to you in the post to your UK address.

For further information, see these links: 

Self-isolation guidance – Wales

Frequently asked questions for new international students

What to expect in academic year 2020/2021

Academic School Plans 2020/2021