Principal Lecturer and programme Director TNE (Link Tutor)
Department: Transnational Education
Telephone No: +44(0)29 2041 6421
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike worked in hotel and pub management after completing his degree at University College, Cardiff and ended up as an area manager for a large catering concern in South Wales. He completed a PGCE in 1986 with the then South Glamorgan Institute and hasn't left since.
Mike is now a Principal Lecturer for the Trans-National Education within the School of Management having served as Programme Director and final year tutor for the Hospitality programmes. He is responsible for the day to day running of the programmes of several partners across the globe including Singapore, Vietnam, Nepal, Lebanon, China and Egypt, having also worked with City Unity College in Greece, VUM in Bulgaria, ICBT in Sri Lanka and Oman College in Muscat.
Mike is also a chair of validation/review panels and exam board chair in Cardiff Metropolitan and has been involved at a wider level as a QAA Subject Reviewer, ILAM module designer, external panelist on hospitality-based courses outside CardiffMet and external examiner at other universities. He is also Deputy Chair of the School of Management Collaborative Sub-Group, member of the University Collaborative Provision Committee and the School Ethics Committee. He is also an Examination Board Chair.
Mike is co-author of "Public House and Beverage Management" (2000). Butterworth-Heinemann. A jolly good read at only £17.99 from all good book shops and can also be found on Kindle!!
His subject specialization is in Human Resource Management in service industries plus Wines and Spirits teaching as an accredited tutor for the WSET. His research interests are in Management Development Strategies, Transnational Educational Strategies, Creating the Learning Organization, Performance Management, Reduction of Alcohol Related Violence in Licensed Premises and Consumer Behaviour in Wine Buying.
Mike's outside hobbies included the sports of cricket and hockey although as a spectator rather than a player these days. Wine, gardening and the cinema are on his list of pastimes as is a fascination with aircraft. His wife Ann works for the NHS and his two offspring are in Australia or into Online Gaming.
DBA underway on Achieving Effective Management Strategies for TNE partnerships for Cardiff School of Management.
• Buying wine on promotion is trading-up in UK supermarkets: (2010) A case study in Wales and Northern Ireland", International Journal of Wine Business Research, with Ritchie, C. and Elliott, G.
• Flynn, M. Elliott, G, Ritchie, C. 2009. Can UK Wine-Buying Consumers be Persuaded to Trade up in Supermarkets? For presentation at the American Association of Wine Economists (AAWE) 3rd Annual Conference. Reims, France. June
• Flynn, M. Elliott, G, Ritchie, C. 2012. Wine-Buying Consumers in the Uk and drivers for choice? For presentation at the American Association of Wine Economists (AAWE) 6th Annual Conference. Bolzano, Italy. June to be published in the Associations Journal Feb 2013
• Dale, E., Ritchie, C., Lawson, S. & Flynn M. 2008.Wine Trade Demands or Intergenerational Distance in Teaching. Where are the Barriers to New Wine Consumers and Professionals? Presentation for ICCAS 08 (Sixth International Conference on Culinary Arts and Sciences) – Global, National and Local Perspectives. Clarion Hotel Stavanger, Norway. June
• Ritchie, C. Dale, E., Lawson, S. & Flynn, M. 2007. Intergenerational Distance, Language, Industry Demands: Where Are The Barriers To Learning? Presented at EuroChrie Conference Leeds. October
• Ritchie, C. Dale, E., Lawson, S. & Flynn, M. 2007 - Intergenerational Distance in Teaching and Learning: Using the WSET Intermediate Course to Study Language and Communication Barriers in Intergenerational Learning. Presented at CHME Conference, Oxford Brookes University, Oxford. May.
Mike has been involved in a host of projects over the years with a range of companies including local authorities, catering organisations, hotel inspection companies, education consultants and partner colleges around the world.
Mike has also worked with Whitbread's Business in the Community Scheme in briefings on the liaison between education and the Hospitality industry, and is a founder member of the Cardiff Wine Tasting Circle.
Currently engaged on British Council Project with National Economic University, Hanoi, and the QAA.
- Spanish Wine Ambassador, Spanish Wine Academy January 2009
- Sherry Ambassador , Sherry Institute, September 2010
- Wine Tutor Invited Tours to: Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhone, Austria, Penedes, Rioja and Ribero del Duero, Somontano, Catalyud, Carinena,(Spain), Chile Germany.