Applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

​What is the DSA?

UK home students with a disability or impairment, including specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, are usually eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA). This is a government funded scheme which can pay for any support that you might need to ensure you are not disadvantaged during your studies. It is not means tested and is meant to help you fully participate and benefit from your course.

All support is recommended on an individual basis according to what you need and you are fully involved with this process. The recommendations are made in a Needs Assessment. Information about needs assessments can be found through our Assessment Centre.

It is available to all UK students studying or about to start studying a higher education course. International students or those not entitled to DSA support should meet an Advisor to discuss what support the University can provide for you.

When should I apply?

You should apply for a DSA as soon as you have applied for a course as it can take up to three months to get support in place. If you have already started your course you can still apply.

How do I apply for DSA?

You need to make your application to the DSA through your funding body. Our Advisors can support you with this process. Please be aware that the application forms are different depending on who is funding your course and whether you are a full time or part time student. The main funding bodies are:


You will require evidence to be submitted along with your application form for DSA to be agreed. Find out how to obtain medical evidence.

Next step

Step 4 - Book your DSA Needs Assessment