t: 02920 416041
Specialist Subject Areas
Carolyn is Professor of Environmental and Sustainable Design for the Built Environment in CSAD. She has a particular research interest in the development and delivery of sustainable decision making processes and frameworks, including approaches to climate change mitigation and adaptation; and design for health and wellbeing, as demonstrated in her research outputs and publications.
PhD: The Deterioration and Conservation of Historic Building Stone, University of Glasgow, for the National Trust for Scotland, funded by the Getty Grant Programme, California
MA Interior Design (Distinction), Staffordshire University
BSc Joint Honours (1st Class) in Geography & Geology, University of Keele
Post Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching (PgCHET), Queen's University Belfast
Post Graduate Certificate (PgCert) in Counselling & Supervision, Glasgow Caledonian University
AIM Awards Level 3 Diploma in Professional Garden Design
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (FRSA)
RIBA Membership No. 20026186
Dr Carolyn Hayles completed her PhD on the weathering and conservation of historic building stone, a project funded by the Getty Grant Programme and under the auspices of the National Trust for Scotland, at the University of Glasgow between 1992-1995. After completing her PhD studies, Carolyn worked firstly as a Materials Scientist and then as a Senior Consultant at the Building Research Establishment (BRE) for eight years, specialising in Built Heritage research. Since 2004, Carolyn has been an academic. Her posts have included: a Senior Lectureship in Sustainable Construction and Green Building Design in the School of Property, Construction and Project Management at RMIT University, Melbourne (2004-2006); a Lectureship in Architecture, Sustainable Design, in the School of Planning, Architecture and Civil Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast (2007-2011) a Lectureship in Sustainable Construction in the Department of Architecture and Civil Engineering at the University of Bath (2013 – 2015) and a Senior Lectureship and Academic Lead for Sustainability Education in the Institute of Sustainable Practice, Innovation and Resource Effectiveness (INSPIRE) at UWTSD (2015-2018). Carolyn joined Cardiff School of Art and Design in January 2019 and is currently Professor of Sustainable and Environmental Design for the Built Environment.
Commendation, 2015 International Green Interior Awards
Current Research/scholarly activities
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-0811-0816
Carolyn has 25 years of experience conducting research in the disciplines of Architecture, Interior Design, Civil Engineering and Construction Management. Her interests include: Biophilic Design; Design for Health and Wellbeing; the Conservation, Repair and Refurbishment of Heritage Buildings; Green Building Design; Sustainable Design and Construction; and the impact of Climate Change on the Built Environment; with a particular research interest in the development and delivery of sustainable decision making processes and frameworks. During this time Carolyn has worked in the UK, USA, Australia, Mediterranean Europe, Hong Kong and Singapore.
Carolyn is currently a Climate Resilience embedded Research Fellow with Welsh Government, investigating how resilient buildings in the UK and Wales are to the challenges associated with a changing climate. This research includes climate modelling, the identification of quantifiable and measurable climate vulnerabilities, and the development of a prioritisation index including practical recommendations for risk based adaptation.
Carolyn welcomes correspondence from perspective PhD and Prof Doc students interested in studying aspects of environmental and sustainable design and education for sustainable development.
Principal Publications and/or Exhibitions
Guidance Publications/Books/Book Chapters
Zaccaro F., Littlewood J.R., Hayles C.S. (2021) Thermal Bridge Analysis for Offsite Manufactured Closed Panel Timber Frame Walls. In: Littlewood J., Howlett R.J., Jain L.C. (eds) Sustainability in Energy and Buildings 2020. Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, vol 203. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-8783-2_37
Hayles, C.S. (2019). Integrating teaching and learning around the seven sustainable development goals of the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015, in Zandvliet, D. B (Ed) Culture and Environment: Weaving New Connections, Series: Researching Environmental Learning.
Hayles, C. S. (2017). An INSPIREd Education, The University of Wales Trinity Saint David, in Leal Filho, W. (Ed) Sustainable Development Research at Universities in the United Kingdom. Springer International Publishing - ISBN 978-3-319-47883-8, Ch1, pp 1-12.
Chinowsky, P. S., Schweikert, A. E., Hayles, C. S., Strzepek, N. L. and Strzepek, K. (2013) Buildings & Climate Change: Methodology and Areas for Further Research, UNU-WIDER White Paper.
Horne, R., Hayles, C., Hes, D., Jensen, C., Opray, L., Wakefield, R. and Wasiluk, K. (2005). International comparison of building energy performance standards. Report to Australian Greenhouse Office, Department of Environment and Heritage.
Holdsworth, S., Bekessey, S., Hayles, C. and I. Thomas (2006) "Beyond Leather Patches (BELP): Sustainability Education at RMIT University, Australia", in Leal Filho, W. (Ed). Innovation, Education and Communication for Sustainable Development. Peter Lang Scientific Publishers, Frankfurt Series "Environmental Education, Communication and Sustainability" vol 24 - ISBN 3-631-5 Leal Filho, W.5644-6 / US ISBN 0-8204-8716-3, Ch8, pp 153-176.
Holdsworth, S., Bekessey, S., Mnguni, P., Hayles, C. and I. Thomas (2006) "Beyond Leather Patches (BELP): Sustainability Education at RMIT University", in Leal Filho, W., and D. Carpenter (Eds) Sustainability in the Australasian University Context. Peter Lang Scientific Publishers, Frankfurt Series "Environmental Education, Communication and Sustainability" vol 22 -ISBN 3-631-55272-6 / US ISBN 0-8204-9910-2, Ch7, pp 107-128
Hayles, C. S., Egbu, C., Hutchinson, V.J., Quintas, P., Ruikar, K. and Anumba, C. J. (2004) Getting started in Knowledge Management: Concise guidance for construction consultants and contractors. BNE report 24. Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow. ISBN 1-903661-64-1
Hayles, C. S., Egbu, C., Hutchinson, V.J., Quintas, P., Ruikar, K., Anumba, C. J. and Kurul, E. (2004). Knowledge Management for Sustainable Construction Competitiveness. Final Report to the DTI. BNE report 23. Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow. ISBN 1-903661-63-3
Foresight (2001) "Repair, refurbishment and re-use of facilities". In Constructing the Future. Foresight – Built Environmental and Transport Panel, Construction Associate Programme. DTI
Hayles, C. S. and Simister, S. J. (2000). The FAST Approach - Function analysis and diagramming techniques. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 404 2
Hayles, C. S. and Simister, S. J. (2000). The Value Workshop - Concise guidance on the value management workshop. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 402 6
Hayles, C. S. and Simister, S. J. (2000). Value for social housing - concise guidance for registered social landlords, their consultants and contractors. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 403 4
BRE (2000). Value from Construction - Getting started in Value Management. Concise guidance for small and occasional construction customers, their consultants and contractors. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 401 8
Garvin, S. L., Phillipson, M. C., Sanders, C. H., Hayles, C. S. and Dow, G. T. (1998). Impact of climate change on building. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 2376.
Hayles, C. S., Bowles, G. and Gronqvist, M. (1997). Value from Construction: A comprehensive Bibliography. CRC, London. ISBN 1 86081 176 0.
- Hayles, C.; Huddleston, M.; Chinowsky, P.; Helman, J. Summertime impacts of climate change on dwellings in Wales, UK Building and Environment (2022) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2022.109185
- Hayles, C.; Huddleston, M.; Chinowsky, P.; Helman, J. Quantifying the Effects of Projected Climate Change on the Durability and Service Life of Housing in Wales, UK. Buildings 2022, 12, 184. https://doi.org/10.3390/ buildings12020184
- Whitehill, S.; Hayles, C.S.; Jenkins, S.; Taylour, J. Engagement with Higher Education Surface Pattern Design Students as a Catalyst for Circular Economy Action. Sustainability 2022, 14, 1146. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14031146
- Heracleous C., Michael A, Savvides A., Hayles C. S. (2022). A Methodology to Assess Energy-Demand Savings and Cost-Effectiveness of Adaptation Measures in Educational Buildings in Warm Mediterranean Region, Energy Reports 8, 5472-5486.
- Heracleous C., Michael A, Savvides A., Hayles C. S. (2021). Climate change resilience of schools in Cyprus: An examination of retrofit approaches and their implications on thermal and energy performance, Journal of Building Engineering, Vol. 4, December 2021, 103358.
- Price, E., White, R., Mori, K., Longhurst, J., Baughan, P., Hayles, C., Gough, G., Preist, C., (2021). Supporting the role of universities in leading individual and societal transformation through education for sustainable development, Discover Sustainability, 2, 49 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43621-021-00058-3
- Price, E., Longhurst, J., White, R., Preist, C., Mori, K., Robinson, Z., Baughan, P., Gough, G., Hayles, C., Higgins, P., Molthan-Hill, P., Hack, C. and S. Kemp (2020). Education for sustainable development in higher education. Environmental Scientist, November 2020, pp. 39-45.
- Zaccaro F.; Littlewood J.R.; Hayles C. (2021). An Analysis of Repeating Thermal Bridges from Timber Frame Fraction in Closed Panel Timber Frame Walls: A Case Study from Wales, UK. Energies 2021, 14, 1211. https://doi.org/10.3390/en14041211
- Hayles, C. S. (2019). INSPIRE sustainability internships: Promoting campus greening initiatives through student participation, International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education, Volume 20, Issue 3. Pages 452-469. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-03-2019-0111
- Wismayer, A., Hayles, C. S., McCullen, N. (2019). The Role of Education in the Sustainable Regeneration of Built Heritage: A Case Study of Malta. Sustainability 2019, 11, 2563; doi:10.3390/su11092563
- Hayles, C. S. (2018). Embedding Education for Sustainable Development through the Well- being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015. European Journal of Sustainable Development. Volume 7, Issue 4. Pages 22-32. ISSN: 2239-5938. Doi: 10.14207/ejsd.2018.v7n4p22
- Chinowsky, P., Schweikert, A., Hughes, G., Hayles, C. S., Strzepek, N. and Strzepek, K. (2015). The Impact of Climate Change on Road and Building Infrastructure: A Four-Country Study. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment. Volume 6, Issue 4, November 2015.
- • Hayles, C. S. and Dean, M. (2015) Social housing tenants, Climate Change and sustainable living: A study of awareness, behaviours and willingness to adapt. Sustainable Cities and Society. Volume 17, September 2015, Pages 35–45.
- Hayles, C. S. (2015) Environmentally sustainable interior design: A snapshot of current supply of and demand for green, sustainable or Fair Trade products for interior design practice. International Journal of Sustainable Built Environment. Volume 4, Issue 1, June 2015, Pages 100–108.
- Chinowsky, P., Schweikert, A., and Hayles, C. (2014). Potential Impact of Climate Change on Municipal Buildings in South Africa. Procedia Economics and Finance, Volume 18, 2014, Pages 456–464
- Hayles, C. S., Dean, M., Lappin, S. A. and McCullough, J. (2013) Climate change adaptation: A decision support framework to encourage environmentally responsible behaviour, Smart and Sustainable Built Environment, Vol. 2 (2), pp.192-214.
- Perera, S., Hayles, C. S. and Kerlin, S. (2011) An analysis of value management in practice: the case of Northern Ireland's construction industry, Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Vol. 16 (2), pp.94 – 110.
- Chinowsky, P., Hayles, C., Schweikert, A., Strzepek, N., Strzepek, K. and Schlosser, C. A. (2011) Climate change: comparative impact on developing and developed countries, Engineering Project Organization Journal, Vol 1 (1), pp. 67–80.
- Hayles, C. S. (2010) An examination of decision making in post disaster housing reconstruction. International Journal of Disaster Resilience in the Built Environment. Vol 1 (1), pp. 103–122.
- Hayles, C. S., Fong, P. S. W. & Graham, M. (2010) Value management as a framework for sustainable decision making. Proceedings of the ICE - Municipal Engineer, Vol 163 (1), pp. 43-50. Shortlisted for ICE paper of the year awards for 2010
- Horne, R. and Hayles, C. S. (2008) An international comparison of the modelled heating and cooling load performance of residential buildings. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, Vol 23 (2), pp. 119 - 130.
- Hayles, C. S. and Holdsworth, S. E. (2008) Curriculum Change for Sustainability. Journal of education in the Built Environment (JEBE), Vol 3 (1), pp. 25-48
- Fong, P. S. W., Hills, M. J. and Hayles, C. S. (2007) Dynamic knowledge creation through value management teams. ASCE. Journal of management in engineering © ASCE / January 2007 pp. 40-49.
- Hayles, C. S. (2004). The role of value management in the construction of sustainable communities. The Value Manager, Vol. 10 (1), pp 15-19.
- Garvin, S. L. and Hayles, C. S. (1999). The durability and chemical compatibility of cement-bentonite cut-off walls. Construction and Building Materials Vol. 13, pp. 329-241.
- Hayles, C. S. and B. J. Bluck (1995). Examination of the causes of sandstone deterioration at Culzean Castle, Scotland. Quarterly Journal of the Scottish Society for Conservation and Restoration, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp.10-13.
International Conference Papers
- Heracleous C., Michael A, Savvides A., Hayles C., A Cost-optimal Analysis of Adaptation Measures in Educational Buildings of Warm Mediterranean Region, 16th Conference on Sustainable Development of Energy, Water and Environment Systems (SDEWES), Dubrovnik, Croatia, 10th -15th October 2021.
- Duncan, Tansy, C.S Hayles, J Littlewood, S Jones and T Boyle (2020). A Review of the Context of Low-Carbon Construction in Wales and an Introduction to a Research Project: a Technical Design Guide for Welsh Zero-Carbon Housing, in: Proceedings of the 12th Internal Conference on Sustainability in Energy and Buildings (SEB), 9-11th September 2020, ES Virtual Conference Centre platform, Springer.
- Hayles, C.S. (2020). An examination of the factors influencing a cohort of post-graduate architecture students in the adoption of design practices that support health and well-being World Sustainable Built Environment conference: Beyond 2020, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Volume 588, Issue 3, pp. 032076.
- Wismayer, A., Hayles, C. S. and McCullen, N. (2019). Influencing behavioural change: An integral measure in the sustainable regeneration of built heritage. SBE19 Malta International Conference: Sustainability and Resilience 21-22 Nov 2019.
- Wismayer, A., McCullen, N. and Hayles, C. S. (2019). Field assessment of heritage buildings: A study of the Presidential Palace of San Anton, Malta. SBE19 Malta International Conference: Sustainability and Resilience 21-22 Nov 2019.
- Whitehill, S., Hayles, C., Jenkins, S., Taylor, J. and Hammerton, C. (2019). A circular economy case study of waste fabric generated by office furniture manufacture. Proceedings of the 19th European Roundtable for Sustainable Consumption and Production (ERSCP 2019) Institute for Sustainability Science and Technology, Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, 15-18 October 2019.
- Heraclous, C., Michael, A., Savvides, A. and Hayles, C. (2019). Passive measures for improving thermal comfort and energy performance in educational buildings in Cyprus. 12th International Conference on Sustainable Energy & Environmental Protection (SEEP 2019), United Arab Emirates- University of Sharjah, 18th- 21st November 2019, pp. 123-128, ISBN: 978-9948-36-625-6.
- Hayles, C.S and Aranda-Mena, G. (2018). Well-being in vertical living and working: beyond the aesthetics of biophilia in high-rise architecture. In P. Rajagopalan and M.M Andamon (eds.), Engaging Architectural Science: Meeting the Challenges of Higher Density: 52nd International Conference of the Architectural Science Association 2018, pp.331–338. ©2018, The Architectural Science Association and RMIT University, Australia.
- Hayles, C. S. (2018). INSPIRE sustainability internships: Promoting campus greening initiatives through student participation. Proceedings of the 2nd Symposium on Sustainability in University Campuses (SSUC-2017), University of Florence, Italy, 10th-12th December 2018.
- Hayles, C. S. (2018). Embedding Education for Sustainable Development through the Well-being of Future Generations (Wales) Act 2015. Proceedings of the 6th ICSD conference, ‘Creating a unified foundation for the Sustainable Development: research, practice and education’, Roma Eventi, Congress Center, Piazza della Pilotta, 4, Rome, Italy, 12-13th September 2018.
- Wismayer, A., Hayles, C. S., McCullen, N. (2017). Sustainable interior environments for historic buildings: a case study of the presidential palace of San Anton, Malta. SB17: Proceedings of the World Sustainable Built Environment Conference: transforming our built environment through innovation and integration – putting ideas into action, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 5-7th June 2017.
- Edge, S. and Hayles, C.S. (2017). Examining the economic, psychological and physiological benefits of retrofitting holistic sustainable and biophilic design strategies for the indoor environment. AMPS Proceedings Series 9. Living and Sustainability: An Environmental Critique of Design and Building Practices, Locally and Globally. London South Bank University, London, 08 – 09 February (2017). pp.151-525. Editor. M. Young. ISSN 2398-9467.
- Wismayer, A., Hayles, C. S., McCullen, N., Lawrence, M. (2016). A review of assessment methods, monitoring strategies and simulation models to evaluate the impact of proposed interventions on historic buildings. 2nd International conference on energy efficiency and comfort of historic buildings. 19- 21 October 2016, Brussels, Belgium.
- Hayles, C. S. (2016). An INSPIREd Education, The University of Wales Trinity Saint David. Proceedings of the Symposium on Sustainable Development research at Universities in the United Kingdom, Manchester Metropolitan University on 5th-6th April 2016.
- Hayles, C. and Wismayer, A. (2016). Sustainable interior environments for historic buildings: A case study of the Presidential Palace of Sant’ Anton, Malta, 5th International Conference on Heritage and Sustainable Development, Lisbon, Portugal, 12-15th July 2016.
- Wismayer, A., Hayles, C. S., Lawrence, M., McCullen, N., Buhagiar, V. (2016). Occupant behaviour at the Presidential Palace of San Anton, Malta: A study supporting the development of a methodology to enhance energy efficiency in heritage buildings. Europe and the Mediterranean Towards a Sustainable Built Environment, SBE16 Malta, 15th-18th March 2016.
- Hayles, C. S. (2015). A Case Study of Capacity Building: Embedding Sustainable Development Principles and Practices at the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David. Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Building Resilience, Newcastle, New South Wales, July 2015. [Also featured in http://www.resilientus.org/5th-international-conference-on-building-resilience/]
- Chinowsky, P., Schweikert, A., and Hayles, C. S. (2014) The potential impact of climate change on municipal buildings in South Africa, proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Building Resilience, Manchester, UK.
- McCullough J.E., Lappin S., Hayles, C.S., Dean M. (2013) Sustainable housing: The changing role of the domestic occupant. Proceedings of International Association of People and Environment Studies (IAPS) International Symposium on ‘Sustainable Environments in a Changing Global Context: Identifying Opportunities for Innovative Spaces and Practices in Contexts of Crisis’. June 25-28, Coruna, Spain.
- McCullough J.E., Lappin S., Hayles, C.S., Dean M. (2012) Dwellings designed to reduce in-use carbon emissions: Temperature, humidity and perceived comfort. Proceedings of Human experience in the natural and built environment: Implications for research, policy and practice. International Association of People and Environment studies (IAPS) 24-29 June, Glasgow, UK.
- Hayles, C. S., Dean, M. and McCullough, J. (2011) Climate change mitigation and the social housing sector. Proceedings of the Behaviour, Energy and Climate Change (BECC) Conference, Hyatt Regency Washington, 29th November – 2nd December 2011.
- Chinowsky, P., Hayles, C. S., Schweikert, A. and Strzepek, N. (2010) Climate Change as Disaster: Comparative Impact on Developing and Developed Countries. Engineering Project Organisations Conference, Stanford Sierra Conference Centre, South Lake Tahoe, California, 4th-6th November 2010. Winner of Best Paper Award
- Hayles, C. S., Dean, M. and Chinowsky, P. (2010) A study of potential approaches to supporting behaviour changes required to meet the challenges of climate change and the built environment. Proceedings of the COBRA 2010 RICS Research Conference, Paris, France, 2nd -3rd September 2010.
- McCullough, J. E., Hayles, C. S. and Dean, M. (2010) Methodology for assessing end users and design teams' perceptions, awareness and behaviours around sustainable housing design. Proceedings of SB10 Sustainable Community – building SMART, 22nd -24th September 2010.
- Hayles, C. S. and de la Harpe, B. (2010) Can greening the curriculum influence students' perceptions and awareness of sustainability? Proceedings of CIB 2010 World Congress, Salford, Manchester, 10th-13th May 2010.
- Hayles, C. S. and Dean, M. (2010) Adapting to zero carbon living. Proceedings of CIB 2010 World Congress, Salford, Manchester, 10th-13th May 2010.
- Hayles, C. S., McCullough, J. E. and Dean, M. (2010) Methodology for assessing changes to tenants’ perceptions, awareness and behaviours around sustainable living, in response to proactive sustainable technology interventions in social housing. Proceedings of SB10: Sustainable building affordable to all, Vilamoura Hilton, Portugal, 17th-19th March 2010.
- Hayles, C. S. (2009) An examination of decision making and knowledge management practices in post disaster housing reconstruction projects. CIBW055&W065: Construction facing worldwide challenges, Dubrovnik, 27 September-1 October 2009.
- Hayles, C. S. (2009) An examination of decision making in post disaster housing reconstruction projects. The World Conference on Disaster Management (WCDM), Toronto, Canada, 21st -24th June 2009.
- Kooloos, T. and Hayles, C. S. (2008) Challenges facing the adoption of Sustainable Building in the Australian Commercial Sector. SB08, The World Sustainable Building (SB) Conference series Melbourne, Australia, 21st-25th September 2008
- Hayles, C. S., de la Harpe, B. and Wakefield (2008) Do graduate skills meet the needs of a greener building industry? SB08, The World Sustainable Building (SB) Conference series Melbourne, Australia, 21st-25th September 2008
- Hayles, C. S. (2008) Sustainable construction for developing countries: An examination of decision-making processes used in the planning, designing and building of housing for post-disaster reconstruction. CIB W89: International Conference in Building Education and Research, Kandalama, Sri Lanka 10th - 15th February 2008.
- Hayles, C. S., de la Harpe, B. and Lombardo, R. (2008) Are we changing students’ perceptions of sustainability? CIB W89: International Conference in Building Education and Research, Kandalama, Sri Lanka 10th - 15th February 2008.
- Hayles, C. S. And Kooloos, T. (2008) The challenges and opportunities for sustainable building practices, CIB W107 Construction in Developing Countries International Symposium “Construction in Developing Countries: Procurement, Ethics and Technology”, Trinidad, January 18th-20th 2008.
- Hayles, C. S. and Fong, P. S. W. (2008) Strategies for the delivery of sustainable building projects: Exploring the adoption of simple management tools to improve communication and collaboration. CIB W107 Construction in Developing Countries International Symposium “Construction in Developing Countries: Procurement, Ethics and Technology” Trinidad, January 18th-20th 2008.
- Hayles, C. S. & Hadjri, K. (2007) eFeedback and eAssessment Tools for Improved Student Engagement. Proceedings of the 3rd annual Built Environment Education Annual Conference (BEECON), the University of Westminster, London, 12 – 13 September 2007.
- Hayles, C. S. & de la Harpe, B. (2007) A Study of Student Perceptions and Awareness of Sustainability Issues. Proceedings of the 3rd annual Built Environment Education Annual Conference (BEECON), the University of Westminster, London, 12 – 13 September 2007.
- Hayles, C. S. and Holdsworth, S. (2007) Student feedback on courses aimed at greening the curriculum of the built environment disciplines. Learning Together: Reshaping higher education in a global age. Institute of Education, University of London, 22 - 24 July 2007.
- Hayles, C. S. & Fong, P. S. W. (2006) Utilising value management and knowledge management to develop strategies for the delivery of sustainable construction and green building projects. The World of Innovation. Managing value, risk and relationships. Proceedings of the Inaugural Pacific Asia Value Convention, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 2 – 3 November 2006.
- Hayles, C. S. (2006) ‘Value added’ to the university curriculum. The World of Innovation. Managing value, risk and relationships. Proceedings of the Inaugural Pacific Asia Value Convention, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 2 – 3 November 2006.
- Hayles, C. S., Horne, R. E., Jensen, D. and Wakefield, R. (2006) An International Comparison of Housing Energy Efficiency and Performance Standards. Proceedings of the Construction Research Conference of the RICS (COBRA), held at University College London, 7-8th September 2006.
- Hayles, C. S & Holdsworth, S. E. (2006) Curriculum change for sustainability. Proceedings of the Built Environment Education Annual Conference (BEECON), held at the Bonnington Hotel, Bloomsbury, London, 12 – 13 September 2006.
- Hayles, C. S., Robson, K. and Holdsworth, S. E. (2006) A case study from RMIT: Introducing property undergraduates to the immediate issues of housing sustainability and affordability with Australia and New Zealand. 12th Pacific Rim Real Estate Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 22-25th January 2006.
- Hayles, C. S. (2006) An examination of the relationship between sustainability and affordability in residential housing markets. 12th Pacific Rim Real Estate Conference, Auckland, New Zealand, 22-25th January 2006.
- Hayles, C. S. and Holdsworth, S. E. (2005) Constructing stimulus: teaching sustainability to engender change. Fabricating Sustainability: 39th Annual Conference of the Architectural Science Association. 17 - 19 November 2005.
- Lee, C. C. T., Hayles, C. S. and Egbu, C. E. (2005) The adoption of requirements management in the delivery of refurbishment projects. COBRA Conference, QUT University, 4 – 8 July 2005.
- Hayles, C. S. and Fong, P. S. W. (2005) Communicating value management workshop outcomes for better teamwork and collaboration. Why Re-Invent the Wheel? Hong Kong Institute of Value Management 7th Conference, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 2 – 3 June 2005.
- Hayles, C. S. and Fong, P. S. W. (2005) Managing knowledge through value management for sustainable project solutions. Proceedings of the Conference on Sustainable Building – South East Asia, Malaysia. 11-13 April 2005, pp 416 - 423.
- Hayles, C. S. and Egbu, C. E. (2004) Will the knowledge management specialist please stand up! Experiences from the UK construction industry and beyond. Proceedings of the 20th annual ARCOM conference, Heriot Watt University, 1-3 September 2004.
- Hayles, C. S. (2003). Value management in the construction of sustainable communities. A World of Value. Hong Kong Institute of Value Management 6th Conference, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 26-27 November 2003.
- Garvin, S. L.; Ridal, J. P. and Hayles, C. S. (2002). The use of waste materials in aggregate concrete blocks. ‘Sustainable Concrete Construction’. Proceedings of the International Conference held at the University of Dundee, Scotland, UK, 9-11 September 2002. Thomas Telford, pp 393 – 401.
- Hayles, C. S. and Graham, D. (2000). The FAST Approach to Value Management (?) Seizing Golden Opportunities. Hong Kong Institute of Value Management 4th Conference, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 7-8 November 2000.
- Hayles, C. S. and Cuckow, H. J. (2000). Value Management - Best Value. RICS QS 2000 conference, Stirling Management Centre, Stirling, 2 November 2000.
- Hayles, C. S. and Simister, S. J. (2000). Value Management and the UK's social housing sector. RICS COBRA Millennium Conference, Greenwich University, 31 August - 1 September 2000.
- Hayles, C. S. (2000). Introducing BRE's value management guidance documents. IVM Scottish Branch Annual Conference, Glasgow Caledonian University, Glasgow, 14 June 2000.
- Hayles, C. S. and Simister, S. J. (1999). Value Management in the UK's social housing sector. Managing sustainable values. Hong Kong Institute of Value Management 3rd Conference, Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre, 6-7 May 1999.
- Kelly J. R., Cuckow J. C., Hayles, C. S. and Male, S. (1996). The guide to the application of value management in small and medium sized enterprises. 'Innovation for competition'. 6th European Conference of value analysis and management, Estoril, Portugal, 17-18 October 1996.
- Garvin, S. L., Hayles, C. S. and Tedd, P. (1996). Cementitious cut-off walls with PFA additions. 3rd International Symposium on Environmental Contamination in Central and Eastern Europe, Warsaw, Poland, 9 - 13 September 1996.
- Hayles, C. S. and B. J. Bluck (1995). An examination of some of the causes of sandstone deterioration at Culzean Castle - Scotland. Preservation and restoration of cultural heritage, Montreaux, Switzerland, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne.
- Hayles, C. S. and B. J. Bluck (1994). Sandstone decay mechanisms under examination on the balcony of Culzean Castle, South West Scotland. Proceedings of the 3rd International Symposium on the Conservation of Monuments in the Mediterranean Basin, Venice, Sopintendenza ai Artistici e Storici di Venezia.