View Dr Littlewood’s papers and publications on Cardiff Metropolitan University’s DSpace repository.
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-0351-9954
Selected Journal Articles, Book Chapters & Patents (recent and ‘in press’)
• Zaccaro, F., Littlewood, J.R. & Hayles, C., An Analysis of Repeating Thermal Bridges from Timber Frame Fraction in Closed Panel Timber Frame Walls: A Case Study from Wales, UK, Energies. (2021). DOI:
• Seguela, G., Littlewood, J.R. and Karani, G. (2020) 'A GHG Metric Methodology to Assess Onsite Buildings Non-Potable Water System for Outdoor Landscape Use', Applied Sciences, 10(4), p.1339. DOI: 10.3390/app10041339.DOI:
• Seguela, G., Littlewood, J.R. & Karani, G. Water resource management in the context of a non-potable water reuse case study in arid climate. Energ. Ecol. Environ. (2020). DOI. 10.1007/s40974-020-00169-z
• SerraValentina, LittlewoodJohn R, and Capozzoli Alfonso, (Editorial) Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Engineering Sustainability 2019 172:6, 271-271. DOI:
• Naimi, A. Karani, G, Littlewood, J. R. 2018. Stakeholder Views on Land Reclamation and Marine Environment in Doha, Qatar. Journal of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences. DOI: 10.15640/jaes.v7n1a4.
• Littlewood J., Spataru C. & Howlett B., Jain, L.C. 2017.
Smart Energy Control Systems for Sustainable Buildings. Springer, Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies series. Vol 67. March. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-52076-6.
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. ALAM, M. GOODHEW, S. 2017. A new methodology for the selective measurement of building performance and safety.
Energy Procedia Journal. Vol. tbc, February, pp. TBC.
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. SMALLWOOD, I. One year temperature and heat pump performance for a micro-community of low carbon dwellings, in Wales, UK.
Energy Procedia Journal. Vol. tbc, February, pp. TBC.
• Cosgrove J., Littlewood J, & Wilgeroth P., 2017. "Development of a Framework of Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) to Identify Reductions in Energy Consumption in a Medical Devices Production Facility", International Journal of Ambient Energy (IJAE), Taylor & Francis. January. pp, 1-12.
• Gorse, C. Brooke-Peat, M. Booth, C. Crosse, J. Erkoreka, A. Fitton, R. Fletcher, M. Goodhew, S. Gledson, B. Fylan, F. Glew, D. Johnston, D. Littlewood, J. R. Meuleman, J. Miles-Shenton, M. Parker, J. Pomponi, J. Scott, L. Thomas, F. 2017.
Building Performance Evaluation. Chartered Institute of Builders, Epsom, UK. (inpress).
• Cosgrove J., Littlewood J. & Wilgeroth P. 2017. Development of a holistic method to analyse the consumption of energy and technical services in manufacturing facilities, Chapter Nine. In:
'Smart Energy Control Systems for Sustainable Buildings'. Editors: Littlewood J., Spataru C. & Howlett B., ISSN: 2190-3018, Vol 67. Springer, Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies series. March.
• Seguela, G. Littlewood, J. R. Karani, G. 2017. Onsite food waste processing as an opportunity to conserve water in a medical facility case study, Abu Dhabi.
Energy Procedia Journal. Vol. tbc, February, pp. TBC.
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. SMALLWOOD, I. 2016. In-construction tests show rapid smoke spread across dwellings.
Journal of Engineering Sustainability. 23 May.
• ATKINSON, J. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. GEENS, A, J. KARANI. 2016. Relieving fuel poverty in Wales with external wall insulation.
Journal of Engineering Sustainability. April 2016.
• Cosgrove J., Rivas Duarte M. J., Littlewood J & Wilgeroth P. 2016. "An Energy Mapping Methodology for reducing CO2 emissions from Manufacturing Operations", Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE),
Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture. September.
• MARAIS, P. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. KARANI. 2015. The use of polymer stabilised earth foundations for rammed earth construction.
Energy Procedia Journal. Volume 83, December 2015, Pages 464–473.
• ATKINSON, J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. KARANI. G. GEENS, A, J. 2015. Did ARBED I save energy in Wales? deprived dwellings.
Energy Procedia, December, pp. 444-453.
• LITTLEWOOD, J. R. DAVIES, G, J. SMALLWOORD, I. 2014. Energy and Environmental Performance of the Abertridwr Community – First Winter Season.
Energy Procedia, Volume 62, December, Pages 532–542.
• Hammoudi, A. Karani, G. Littlewood, J, R. 2014. Road traffic accidents amongst drivers in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
Journal of Traffic Logistics & Engineering. Vol 2. Pp 7-12.
• NOORAEI, M. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. EVANS, N. I. 2013. Feedback from occupants in ‘as designed’ low-carbon apartments, a case study in Swansea, UK.
Energy Procedia, Volume 42 – Elsevier, November 2013, pp. 446-456.
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. 2013. Chapter Four – Assessing and monitoring the thermal performance of dwellings, Chapter Four. In:
Architectural Technology: Research & Practice. Editor: EMMITT, S. Wiley Blackwell, Oxford, UK.
• HOPPER, J.; LITTLEWOOD, J.; GEENS, A.; KARANI, G., COUNSELL, J. AND THOMAS, A. 2012. Assessing retrofitted external wall insulation using infrared thermography.
Structural Survey. 30 (3), pp.245 – 266.
• Littlewood, J.R, Howlett, R.J, Alfonso, C., Jain, L.C, Sustainability in Energy and Buildings, Proceedings of SEB 2019, SIST, volume 163, Springer. (2020).
• Kaparaju, P., Howlett, R.J., Littlewood, J., Ekanyake, C., Vlacic, L. (Eds.). 2019. Sustainability in Energy and Buildings 2018 Proceedings of the 10th International Conference in Sustainability on Energy and Buildings (SEB’18). Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies, Springer. Vol. 131.
Selected Conference Papers / Presentations (recent)
• B. Philip1* J. Littlewood2 R. Radford2 N. Evans2 T. Whyman2 D.P. Jones2 MJ DeJong JM Schooling GMB Viggiani.2019. Energy Assessment Technique for Retrofit Mine-water District Heat Network. International Conference on Smart Infrastructure and Construction 2019 (ICSIC). July, University of Cambridge, UK.
• Butler, T. J. Littlewood, J.R. Millward, H. 2019. Enhanced IEQ through Passive Earth Tubes in Canada. The REHVA European HVAC Journal - Special Issue. Volume: 56 Issue: 3 June 2019, pp. 57-63. https://www.rehva.eu/rehva-journal/chapter/enhanced-ieq-through-passive-earth-tubes-in-canada
• Zaccaro, F. Littlewood, J. R. Wilgeroth, P. Whyman, A. Newman, G. Lancashire, R. Davies, G. 2018. An Introduction To Systemized Offsite Manufactured and Engineered Timber Dwelling Typologies from Welsh and UK Forestry Supply Chains, Enabling Transition to Nearly Zero Carbon Homes in Wales. SEEDS 2018 International Conference, 6th to 7th September 2018, Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland. pp. 734-743.
• Grant, P. Littlewood, J. R. Pepperell, P. 2018. Emotive Architecture – Sensory Design Evaluation of Schools. SEEDS 2018 International Conference, 6th to 7th September 2018, Dublin Institute of Technology, Ireland. pp. 935-941.
• Cosgrove J., Doyle F., O'Neill M., Littlewood J. & Wilgeroth P., 2016.
A methodology for verified energy savings in manufacturing facilities through changes in operational behaviour. International Conference on Energy Efficiency in Industry, European Council for an Energy Efficient Economy (ECEEE). Berlin, Germany. September. Cited at:
• Seguela, G. Littlewood, J. R. Karani, G. 2016.
A study to assess the suitability of soil improvements for reducing the use of potable water for irrigation in a semi-arid climate medical facility case study, Abu Dhabi. 5th International Eco Summit, Ecological Sustainability, Engineering Change, 29 August- 1 September 2016 Montpellier, France.
• Gorse. C. Littlewood, J.R. Goodhew, S. Miles-Shenton, D. Farmer, D. Glew, D. Thomas, F. 2016.
Building quality: Consequences of failure to seal infiltration and exfiltration pathways through the fabric. International SEEDS Conference 2016: Sustainable Ecological Engineering Design for Society. 14-15 September 2016, Leeds, UK.
• Alhazim, M. Littlewood, J, R. Canavan, K. Carey, P. 2015.
Responses of Kuwaiti Government dwellings occupants regarding their perception, preferences and behaviours in their current dwelling. Published in the proceedings of the AEI Conference 2015, March 24-27, 2015, Milwaukee, Wisconsin .
• BUTLER. T. J. LITTLEWOOD, J. R. GEENS, A. J. 2014. Earth Tube Systems: Tempering Fresh Air in a Canadian Climate. Paper presented as a poster at – CIBSE/ASHRAE Technical Symposium, Dublin, Ireland, 3-4 April 2014. Cited at:
• Hammoudi, A. Karani, G. and Littlewood, J. 2013.
Causes of traffic accidents among pedestrians in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Proc. 2nd International Conference on Computational Techniques and Artificial Intelligence (ICCTAI'2013), Eds. March 17-18, 2013 Dubai (UAE), pp 207-211.
• LITTLEWOOD, J. R. TOLEDO, L. 2012.
Knowledge 'place' map of Swansea – The Urban Village Project. Paper presented and published in the proceedings for The Production of Place 2012 International Conference, University of East London, UK; 8th to 9th December 2012. Cited at: http://www.tpop2012.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/tpop2012_Knowledge-%E2%80%98Place%E2%80%99-Map-of-Swansea.pdf.
• HOPPER, J. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. GEENS, A, J. FOX, C. COUNSELL, J. A. THOMAS, A. 2012.
Developing monitoring protocols for dwellings undergoing low carbon retrofit solutions, Wales, UK. Paper presented and published in the conference proceedings for the Retrofit 2012 Conference, 24-26 January 2012, University of Salford, Salford, UK. Cited at: http://www.salford.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/142377/011-Hopper.pdf
• LITTLEWOOD, J, R. TAYLOR, T. DAVIES, G. JOHN. D.
How to minimise space heating to dwellings in Wales, UK through the use of exhaust air source heat pumps: results of a post-occupancy monitoring study in Bargoed, UK. Paper accepted to be presented as a poster and published in the proceedings for the World Sustainable Building Conference SB11 Helsinki, 18-21st October 2011, Finnish Association of Civil Engineers, Helsinki, Finland.
LITTLEWOOD, J. R. TAYLOR. T. GOODHEW. S. EVANS. N. I. COUNSELL. J. A. M. WHYMAN. A. WILGEROTH. P. 2011.
Development of a thermography protocol for the in-construction testing of the thermal performance of low carbon dwellings. Paper presented as a poster and published in the proceedings of the Chartered Institute of Building Services Engineers Technical Symposium, 6-7 September 2011, Demontford University, Leicester, UK.
• HATHERLEY, S. LITTLEWOOD, J, R. COUNSELL, J. A. GEENS, A, J. SINNETT, N.
An exploration of the challenges facing developers of affordable dwellings following low carbon and ecological principles, in rural locations in Wales, UK. Paper accepted to be presented as an oral presentation and published in the proceedings for the World Sustainable Building Conference SB11 Helsinki, 18-21st October 2011, Finnish Association of Civil Engineers, Helsinki, Finland, pp. forthcoming.
Best general conference track: Sustainable Buildings, Mediterranean Green Energy Forum (MGEF13), and 5th Sustainability and Energy in Buildings International Conference Fez, Morocco, June 2013.
Best invited conference track: Assessment and monitoring the environmental performance of buildings, 4th Sustainability and Energy in Buildings International Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, September 2012;
Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors prize. Building Surveying (1996)
Selected Enterprise and Grant Awards
• Upper Llynfi Valley Feasibility Study in collaboration with SPECIFIC, Swansea University, and Bridgend Council (+18 other partners), £8.25K;
• KESS2 PhD Scholarship with Prof G Karani, Dr Jo Atkinson, ESF / Being Greener Melin Homes, £54.6K, 2016;
• Cardiff Metropolitan University Research Innovation Award (Level II), in collaboration with Wales and the West Housing Association Linc-Cymru Housing Association, and Leeds Sustainability Institute, £72K, 2016.
• Cardiff Metropolitan University Research Enterprise Investment Fund, in collaboration with Coastal Housing Group and the University of Plymouth, £114k, 2015.
• Short KTP with Morganstone Building Contractors (in collaboration with Coastal Housing Group) InnovateUK/Welsh Government £73K, 2015;
• Short KTP with Greenhill Building Contractors (in collaboration Melin Homes) Welsh Government £50K, 2013;
• Technology Strategy Board / United Welsh Housing Association – Building Performance Evaluation, £60K, 2012;
• Reverse SIP with Geoff Pettifor, £3K, 2011;
• HEFCU Donation Top-Up – £14K, 2011;
• Coastal Housing Group Donation – £28K, 2010;
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens, ESF / Coastal Housing Group, £54.6K, 2010;
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell, ESF/ Pembrokeshire Housing Association, £54.6K 2010;
• ERDF / Coastal Housing Group with Evans, Counsell, Low Carbon Built Environment, led by Cardiff University, £279K of £34Million, 2010.
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell (ESF / Coastal Housing Group, £54.6K, 2009);
• KESS PhD Scholarship with Prof A. Geens & J. Counsell (ESF/ United Welsh Housing Association, £54.6K 2009);
• Double Associate KTP with Prof. Brooksbank and Evans, National Botanic Garden of Wales, TSB/WG, £257K, 2009;
• UWIC Capital Bids, £7.5K, 2008;
• EPSRC research grant, led by University of Salford – £175K of £2.5Million, 2008.
University of the West of England
• Classic two year KTP with Two Rivers Housing Association, Forest of Dean £78K, 2007, Lead Supervisor working with Academic Lead;
• Building Design Partnership, – £10K, 2006.
University of South Wales (formerly University of Glamorgan)
• Pontypridd Parish Council, – £5K, 2005.
• Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists – PhD Scholarship, £1K, 2004.
• EPSRC CASE Award for a PhD Scholarship – £56K, 2004.
• Highbury Builders Collective, – £13K, 204.
• Science and Research Initiative Fund, £21K, 2002.
• RAE Equipment Fund, £30K, 2002;
• Capital Equipment Fund, £15K, 1999.
• Ecology Building Society, £2K, 1997.