Position: Lecturer in Health and Wellbeing Psychology
School: Cardiff School of Sport and Health Sciences
Telephone: +44 (0)29 2041 6443
Room No: D3.12B
- Individual Differences (Level 5)
- Research and Statistics (Level 5)
- Contemporary Issues in Psychology (Level 5)
- Work, Volunteering and Applied Psychology (Level 5 and Level 6)
- Pell, B., Hawkins, J., Cannings-John, R., Charles, J. M., Hallingberg, B., Moore, G., Roberts, J., van Sluijs, E. & Morgan, K. (2022). CHoosing Active Role Models to INspire Girls (CHARMING): protocol for a cluster randomised feasibility trial of a school-based, community-linked programme to increase physical activity levels in 9–10-year-old girls. Pilot Feasibility Stud 8, 2 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s40814-021-00961-6
- Knight, R. L., Sharp, C. A., Hallingberg, B., Mackintosh, K. A., & McNarry, M. A. (2022). Mixed-Methods Systematic Review to Identify Facilitators and Barriers for Parents/Carers to Engage Pre-School Children in Community-Based Opportunities to Be Physically Active. Children, 9(11), 1727.
- Hallingberg, B., Parker, K., Eriksson, C., Ng, K., Hamrik, Z., Kopcakova, J., ... & Badura, P. (2022). Joint Family Activities and Adolescent Health and Wellbeing: Further Considerations Following the War in Ukraine. Journal of Adolescent Health, 71(1), 132-133.
- Hallingberg, B. (2022). E-Cigarette Flavors, Devices, and Brand Preferences Among Youths in Canada, England, and the United States: The Value and Challenges of Comparing International Survey Data. American Journal of Public Health, (0), e1-e3.
- Phillips, R., Gillespie, D., Hallingberg, B., Evans, J., Taiyari, K., Torrens‐Burton, A., ... & Wood, F. (2022). Perceived threat of COVID‐19, attitudes towards vaccination, and vaccine hesitancy: A prospective longitudinal study in the UK. British Journal of Health Psychology.
- Parker, K., Hallingberg, B., Eriksson, C., Ng, K., Hamrik, Z., Kopcakova, J., ... & Badura, P. (2022). Typologies of joint family activities and associations with mental health and wellbeing among adolescents from four countries. Journal of Adolescent Health.
- Moore, G., Hallingberg, B., Brown, R., McKell, J., Van Godwin, J., Bauld, L., ... & Page, N. (2022). Impacts of EU Tobacco Products Directive Regulations on young people’s use of e-cigarettes in Great Britain: a natural experimental evaluation. Public Health Research.
- Svacina, K., Zdenek, H., Hallingberg, B. & Badura, P. (2022) I have to do it, but I like it: the sense of enjoyment and obligation in adolescents’ organized leisure-time activities. Leisure Sciences, in press.
- Hallingberg, B., Angel, L., Brown, R. Copeland, L., Gray, L., Van Godwin, J. & Moore, G. (2021) Changes in childhood experimentation with, and exposure to, tobacco and e-cigarettes and perceived smoking norms: a repeated cross-sectional study of 10–11 year olds’ in Wales. BMC Public Health 21, 1924 (2021). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-12004-z
- Phillips, R., Taiyari, K., Torrens-Burton, A., Cannings-John, R., Williams, D., Peddle, S., Campbell, S., Hughes, K., Gillespie, D., Sellars, P., Pell, B., Ashfield-Watt, P., Akbari, A., Seage, C. H., Perham, N., Joseph-Williams, N., Harrop, E., Blaxland, J., Wood, F., Poortinga, W., Wahl-Jorgensen, K., James, D. H., Crone, D., Thomas-Jones , E. & Hallingberg, B. (2021) Cohort profile: The UK COVID-19 Public Experiences (COPE) prospective longitudinal mixed-methods study of health and well-being during the SARSCoV2 coronavirus pandemic. PloS one. 16(10): e0258484. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0258484
- Moore, G., Campbell, M., Copeland, L., Craig, P., Movisisyan, A., Hoddinott, P., Littlecott, H., O’Cathain, A., Pfadenhauer, L., Rehfuess, E., Segrott, J., Hawe, P., Kee, F., Couturiaux, D., Hallingberg, B. & Evans., R. (2021). Adapting interventions to new contexts—the ADAPT guidance. BMJ, 374:n1679 doi: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.n1679
- Seckam, A. & Hallingberg, B. (2021). Stroke Survivors’ experiences and perceptions of engaging, or choosing not to engage, in a virtual choir (VC) during the global pandemic. British Journal of Neuroscience Nursing. In press.
- Brown et al (2021). Implementation of e-cigarette regulation through the EU Tobacco Products Directive (2016) in Wales, Scotland and England from the perspectives of stakeholders involved in policy introduction and enforcement. Tobacco and Prevention Cessation. In press.
- Morgan, K., Lowthian, E., Hawkins, J., Hallingberg, B., Alhumud, M., Roberts, C., ... & Moore, G. (2021). Sugar-sweetened beverage consumption from 1998-2017: findings from the health behaviour in school-aged children/school health research network in Wales. PLoS ONE.
- Poortinga, W., Bird, N., Hallingberg, B., Phillips, R., & Williams, D. (2021). The role of perceived public and private green space in subjective health and wellbeing during and after the first peak of the COVID-19 outbreak. Landscape and Urban Planning, 211, 104092.
- Moore, G., Angel, L., Brown, R., van Godwin, J., Hallingberg, B., & Rice, F. (2021). Socio-Economic Status, Mental Health Difficulties and Feelings about Transition to Secondary School among 10–11 Year Olds in Wales: Multi-Level Analysis of a Cross Sectional Survey. Child Indicators Research, 1-19
- Hallingberg, B., Angel, L., Brown, R., Copeland, L., Gray, L. & Moore, G. (2020) Child experimentation with, and exposure to, tobacco and e-cigarettes: a mixed methods study of primary school children in Wales from 2007 to 2019. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 74:A83. https://jech.bmj.com/content/74/Suppl_1/A83.1.abstract
- Page, N., Hallingberg, B., Brown, R., Lowthian, E., Hewitt, G., Murphy, S. & Moore, G. (2020). Change over time in adolescent smoking, cannabis use and their association: findings from the School Health Research Network in Wales. Journal of Public Health, (10.1093/pubmed/fdaa174)
- Moore, G., Brown, R., Page, N., Hallingberg, B., Maynard, O., McKell, J., Gray, L., Blackwell, A., Lowthian, E., Munafo, M., Mackintosh, A. & Bauld, L. (2020). Young people’s use of e-cigarettes in Wales, England and Scotland before and after introduction of EU Tobacco Products Directive regulations: a mixed-method natural experimental evaluation. International Journal of Drug Policy. In press.
- Brown, R., Van Godwin, J., Copeland, L., Hallingberg, B., Angel, L., MacDonald, S., Segrott, J. & Moore, G. (2020). Ecological exploration of knowledge and attitudes towards tobacco and e-cigarettes among primary school children, teachers and parents in Wales: A qualitative study. Tobacco Use Insights. In press.
- Moore, G., Angel, L., Gray, L., Copeland, L., van Godwin, J., Segrott, J., & Hallingberg, B. (2020). Associations of socioeconomic status, parental smoking and parental e-cigarette use with 10 to 11 year olds’ perceptions of tobacco and e-cigarettes: cross sectional analysis of the CHETS Wales 3 survey. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.10.3390/ijerph17030683
- Brown, R., Bauld, L., de Lacy, E., Hallingberg, B., Maynard, O., McKell, J., Moore, L. & Moore, G. (2020). A qualitative study of e-cigarette emergence and the potential for renormalisation of smoking in UK youth. International Journal of Drug Policy, 75, 102598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugpo.2019.11.006
- Moore, G., Brown, R., Page, N., Hallingberg, B., Gray, L., Maynard, O., McKell, J. & Bauld, L. (2019) Use of e-cigarettes by young people in Great Britain before and after Tobacco Products Directive, European Journal of Public Health, Volume 29, Issue Supplement_4, ckz185.117, https://doi.org/10.1093/eurpub/ckz185.117
- Movsisyan, A., Arnold, L., Evans, R. Hallingberg, B., Moore, G., O’Cathain, A., Pfadenhauer, L.M. , Segrott, J. & Rehfuess, E. (2019) Adapting evidence-informed complex population health interventions for new contexts: a systematic review of guidance. Implementation Science, 14, 105 https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-019-0956-5
- Hawkins, J., Charles, J., Edwards, M., Hallingberg, B.,McConnon, L., Tudor Edwards, R., Jago, R., Kelson, M., Morgan, K., Murphy, S., Oliver, E., Simpson, S. & Moore, G. (2019) Acceptability and feasibility of implementing accelorometry-based activity monitors and a linked web portal in an exercise referral scheme: A mixed-methods feasibility randomized controlled trial. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(3), e12374. (10.2196/12374)
- Hallingberg B.,Maynard, O., Bauld, L., Brown, R., Gray, L., Lowthian, E., MacKintosh, A., Moore, L., Munafo, M. & Moore, G. (2019). Have e-cigarettes renormalised or displaced youth smoking? Results of a segmented regression analysis of repeated cross sectional survey data in England, Scotland and Wales. Tobacco Control, (10.1136/tobaccocontrol-2018-054584)
- Melendez-Torres, G. J., Anthony, B., Moore, G., Collishaw, S., Rice, F., Hallingberg, B., Hewitt, G. & Murphy, S. Measurement invariance properties and external construct validity of the Short Warwick-Edinburgh Mental Wellbeing Scale in a large national sample of secondary school students in Wales. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 17, 139 (10.1186/s12955-019-1204-z)
- Moore, G., Cox, R., Evans, R., Hallingberg, B., Hawkins, J., Littlecott, H., Long, S.J. & Murphy, S. (2018). School, Peer and Family Relationships and Adolescent Substance Use, Subjective Wellbeing and Mental Health Symptoms in Wales: a Cross Sectional Study. Child Indicators Research, 1-15. (10.1007/s12187-017-9524-1)
- Craig, P., Martin, A., Browne, S., Simpson, S. A., Wight, D., Robling, M., Moore, G., Hallingberg, B., Segrott, J., Turley, R., Murphy, S. & Moore, L. (2018). Development of Guidance for Feasibility Studies to Decide Whether and How to Proceed to Full-scale Evaluation of Complex Public Health Interventions. The Lancet Public Health Science conference, The Lancet, 392, S7.
- Moore, L., Hallingberg, B., Wight, D., Turley, R., Segrott, J., Craig, P., Robling, M., Murphy, S., Simpson, S.A. & Moore, G. (2018). Exploratory studies to inform full-scale evaluations of complex public health interventions: the need for guidance. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 72:865-866.
- Hallingberg, B., Turley, R., Segrott, J., Wight, D., Craig, P., Moore, L., Murphy, S., Robling, M., Simpson, S. A., & Moore, G. (2018) Exploratory studies to decide whether and how to proceed with full scale evaluations of public health interventions: A systematic review of guidance. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 4, 104.(10.1186/s40814-018-0290-8)
- Hallingberg B., Maynard, O., Gray, L., MacKintosh, A., Lowthian, E. & Moore, G. (2018) Have e-cigarettes re-normalized or displaced youth smoking?: a segmented regression analysis of repeated cross sectional survey data in England, Scotland and Wales. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, 72:A28-A29.
- Young, H., Long, S. J., Hallingberg, B., Fletcher, A., Hewitt, G., Murphy, S. & Moore, G. (2017). School practices important for students' sexual health: analysis of the school health research network survey in Wales. European Journal of Public Health, 28(2), pp. 309-314. (10.1093/eurpub/ckx203)
- Hallingberg, B., Van Goozen, S. H. M. and Moore, S. C. 2016. Characteristics associated with risk taking behaviours predict young people's participation in organised activities. Journal of Adolescence53, pp. 189-194. (10.1016/j.adolescence.2016.10.008)
- Hallingberg, B., Fletcher, A., Murphy, S., Morgan, K., Littlecott, H. J. Roberts, C. & Moore, G. (2016). Do stronger school smoking policies make a difference? Analysis of the health behaviour in school-aged children survey. European Journal of Public Health, 26 (6) 964-968. (10.1093/eurpub/ckw093)
- Morgan, K., Hallingberg, B., Littlecott, H., Murphy, S., Fletcher, A., Roberts, C. & Moore, G. (2016). Predictors of physical activity and sedentary behaviours among 11-16 year olds: Multilevel analysis of the 2013 Health Behaviour in School-aged Children (HBSC) study in Wales. BMC Public Health, 16(1), 569. (10.1186/s12889-016-3213-8)
- Hallingberg, B., Moore, S., Morgan, J., Bowen, K. & Van Goozen, S. (2014) Adolescent male hazardous drinking and participation in organised activities: Involvement in team sports is associated with less hazardous drinking in young offenders. Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health, 25(1), 28-41. (10.1002/cbm.1912)
Britt is an interdisciplinary researcher with experience in applying psychological theory to public health and criminological research. Her research explores how both psychological and societal influences shape young people's health behaviours, as well as identifying opportunities for intervention development and evaluation. She is particularly interested in how settings and contexts for leisure time use (e.g. sport participation, scouts & other community groups) shapes substance use. To support her interdisciplinary approach she uses mixed methods, although she is predominantly experienced in quantitative methods using longitudinal cohort studies and large-scale national surveys.
Before lecturing Psychology at Cardiff Metropolitan University, Britt worked as a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for the Development and Evaluation of Complex Interventions for Public Health Improvement (DECIPher) in Cardiff University where she developed expertise in research methods for intervention development and evaluation.
Britt’s main research interests are:
- Social and psychological determinants of adolescent substance use
- Organised leisure time use and associated health behaviours in populations
- Methodology of intervention development and evaluation
- Diversionary activities as interventions to reduce substance use and offending
- Phillips, R. (PI), Thomas-Jones, E., Akbari, A., Ashfield-Watt, P., Cannings-John, R., Gillespie, D., Hallingberg, B., Hughes, K., Perham, N., Seage, H., Torrens-Burton, A., Williams, D., Wood, F. Ser Cymru (£127,871). COVID-19 public experiences in Wales: A longitudinal mixed-methods study of attitudes, beliefs, and behaviour in response to the coronavirus pandemic. August 2020 – March 2021
- Moore, G. (PI), Bauld, L., Hallingberg, B. Mackintosh, A., Moore., L., Gray, L. & Munafo, M. National Institute of Health Research (£462,488). ‘Impacts of e-cigarette regulation via the EU Tobacco Products Directive on young people’s use of e-cigarettes: a natural experiment’. January 2017 – April 2020.
- Moore, G. (PI), Macdonald, S., Segrott, J., Moore, L., Gray, L., Hallingberg, B. & Brown, R. Cancer Research UK Tobacco Action Group (£126,000). Primary schoolchildren’s exposure to e-cigarettes, tobacco smoke and perceived smoking norms in Wales: a mixed methods study. April 2018 - December 2019.
- Hallingberg, B. (PI) School of Social Sciences, Research Committee Funding, Cardiff University (£2,531.25). October 2017 – May 2018
- Hallingberg, B. (PI) Erasmus Staff Training Mobility Grant. Cardiff University. (€1,000). April 2018