International>Study at Cardiff Met>January 2023 Useful Information

Useful information for January 2023 International Students


Accommodation - what do I need to know?

It is important that you consider your accommodation options and understand the full costs associated with living in Cardiff. As attendance at ALL face to face classes is mandatory and is a requirement of your visa, it is important that you find somewhere to live that is in a commutable distance to your campus of study. The location of your accommodation will not be accepted as a valid reason for not attending your classes nor is it a reason to request online study. 

For information about accommodation options, please follow this link

IMPORTANT – This year, there is a very high demand for privately rented shared student accommodation and also for family accommodation in Cardiff and the surrounding areas. You should therefore be prepared to consider alternative accommodation options such as student halls of residence. Student halls of residence is not suitable for families, only for single students. 

We would also recommend that you do not travel to the UK with your family to start the search for suitable accommodation. Your family should only join you once you have secured a suitable home for them. Children will only be able to start school once they have a local address. We recommend that you start researching accommodation before travelling to Cardiff but you should only sign the contract/tenancy agreement after you have viewed the property in person.

Accommodation within a commutable distance to Cardiff

Although the university has specific halls of residence accommodation, the majority of international students choose to live off-campus in privately rented accommodation. Some students choose to live with friends or relatives in order to save money on accommodation costs.

The university recommends that all students live within a one hour commute of Cardiff. If your accommodation is located outside of this area, please be aware that you could face many difficulties including:

  • Expense – the cost of public transport, especially long distances, can be very expensive.
  • Time – At peak travelling times in the morning and the evening, the UK’s road and rail networks can be very congested which will make your travelling time to university longer.
  • Impact on studies – Long travelling times to the university will increase your chances of being late or missing your classes altogether. In addition, tiredness from travelling long distances will impact your ability to concentrate in your classes.

Please be aware that you will be studying a full-time course. Therefore, it is very possible that your classes will be taught every day between Monday and Friday – it is not possible for your timetable to be changed. As per the immigration obligations attached to your student visa, you will be expected the attend all of your classes on each of these days.

As required by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI), the university will closely monitor your attendance and engagement on your course. Living too far away from Cardiff will not be an acceptable reason for not attending your classes. Continued poor attendance could result in the university withdrawing you from your course, this will be reported to UKVI and your student visa will be cancelled.

Useful links:

When do I need to pay my tuition fees?

It is important that you make arrangements to pay your tuition fees on time. Your offer letter will state the deadlines for payment of your fees. Failure to pay on time or to clear your balance by the deadline could result in sanctions and potential withdrawal from your course. This will also affect your visa. 

For more information about paying your fees, follow this link.

Will I be able to get a part-time job to support my studies?

We know that part-time work is important to many international students in supporting their studies and career aspirations. The Covid-19 pandemic has transformed the UK labour market in recent months, however as life has slowly returned to normal, more employment opportunities have become available.  However, you cannot rely on the availability of part-time work to fund your life in the UK you should ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay for your studies and your life in the UK.

Cardiff Met has a dedicated Careers Service who will be able to provide you with support as you seek part-time work in the UK. 

Will I need to bring a laptop with me?

Yes, all students should bring a laptop with them to enable full engagement with their studies. 

There is a dedicated Cardiff Met helpdesk for students who have queries or issues with their IT equipment during their studies. They are always happy to help.

How is the UK currently dealing with Covid-19?

Since the UK vaccination programme was launched, the UK government has slowly moved away from the initial emergency phase to focus on planning for a future of living alongside the Covid-19 virus. In Wales, all domestic restrictions have been removed, alongside other parts of the UK.

If you catch Covid-19, you should avoid contact with other people. Although is no longer a legal requirement to self-isolate, it is strongly advised.

In Wales, it is no longer mandatory to wear a face mask apart from in health care settings, such as GP surgeries and hospitals. This requirement is being constantly reviewed.

As life returns to normal, the UK Government still advises that there are steps you can still take to reduce the risk of catching and spreading the virus:

  • Get vaccinated
  • Let fresh air circulate if meeting indoors
  • Consider wearing a face mask in crowded, enclosed spaces
  • Practice good hygiene such as washing your hands

You can find out more about living safely alongside Covid-19 in the UK here.

If you have not been vaccinated against Covid-19 in your home country, you are eligible to receive your vaccinations in the UK. You can find out further information here

Are there any travel restrictions to enter the UK during the Covid-19 pandemic?

As of July 2022, there are no travel restrictions to the UK. You do not need to complete a UK passenger locator form before you travel, take any Covid-19 tests or quarantine when you arrive. This applies to both vaccinated and non-vaccinated people.

It is important to check the latest travel advice before travelling here in case of any changes. 

Once You've Arrived

I have just arrived and I feel unwell (not Covid-related) and I need to get some medication. What should I do?

If you are not registered with a doctor in the UK, but you need medicine, you can purchase medication from a pharmacy such as Boots.  You can only register with a doctor (GP) once you have a UK address. When you have moved into your accommodation, you must register with a doctor’s surgery located near to your new home as soon as possible, do not wait to become unwell first. This is a list of surgeries in Cardiff. For information about registering, check the surgeries’ websites.

What if I have coronavirus symptoms?

The main symptoms of Covid-19 are:

  • A high temperature
  • A new continuous cough
  • Loss or change of taste or smell

If you have any of the main symptoms of Covid-19, the advice is that you should stay at home and take a lateral flow test. Lateral flow tests are free if you live in Wales and if you are showing Covid-19 symptoms.

If you test positive, you should stay at home and avoid contact with other people if you can.

Further information can be found here.

Do I have to live in Cardiff whilst I am studying?

You will be required to live in or close to Cardiff to allow you to attend all of your classes on a full time basis. Please note, distance learning is NOT permitted. This is an immigration regulation. Your UK address must be within a commutable distance to your study campus to allow you to attend all classes each day.

Do I need to wear a mask/face covering?

In the UK it is no longer a legal requirement to wear a face covering apart from in all health care settings. Although the government suggests that you continue to wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces, ultimately, the wearing of a face covering or mask is now a personal choice. In line with the government guidance, the wearing of face coverings on Cardiff Met’s campuses are also a personal choice for individuals. Please be respectful of other people’s choices, whether they choose to wear a face covering or not. 

I need to open a bank account, how do I do this?

You will need to bring a Mastercard or visa debit/credit card with you to the UK to use whilst you go through the process of opening a UK bank account.

To open a bank account, students MUST be enrolled and living in their long-term accommodation. It may not be possible to open a bank account if you are staying in a hotel or temporary accommodation. The banks will require a letter of introduction and this downloaded once you are enrolled.  

Once enrolled and have registered an address on the student system, you can download a bank letter here

What should I bring with me?

We recommend that you bring a laptop that is in full working order to allow you to fully engage with your studies.  

  • A face mask/face covering if you choose to wear one.
  • Hand sanitiser to ensure you keep your hands clean.
  • A Mastercard or Visa debit /credit card to ensure you can make essential purchases whist you are waiting to open a bank account. You will find that many shops insist on card payments only to avoid handling cash and risk spreading the Covid-19 virus. Cardiff Met is also a cashless campus. 
  • A mobile phone with international roaming switched on. 
  • Clothes for cold weather, although the weather in the UK will be mild in September, the tempreture will quickly start to decline as winter approches. 
  • Toiletries such as shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste etc. 

Do not worry if you forget any personal items, you will be able to purchase additional items, such as warm clothing, kitchen supplies, toietries etc. easily when you arrive. 

Will I be able to study the whole of my course online?

No. Although you might have a small number of online classes to attend, the majority of teaching from September 2022 will be delivered face to face. Your course is not an online course, attendance at all face to face sessions is compulsory and an essential requirement of both your course and immigration obligations as a student visa holder. 

How can I travel to campus?

Find a bus route using the Cardiff Bus website and go to ‘plan a journey’ and ‘routes and maps'.

You may wish to take a taxi which you can order online or via an app: 

How can I get a part-time job?

There are a variety of opportunities available in some employment sectors, such as food retail stores and the care industry, but other sectors remain limited:

  • Contact Cardiff Met’s Careers Service for advice and help with CVs
  • Cardiff Met SU can also advise on CVs etc.
  • Contact local food and retail outlets directly
  • Search online for “part-time jobs in Cardiff”
  • Or search engines/employment agencies such as Indeed or Total Jobs

What if I have any problems, who should I speak to?

If you have problems or questions about your course please contact your Course Director or Personal Tutor. Your school administrator may also be able to help

The Global Student Advisory Service offers a range of support including welfare, immigration and academic advice. To contact them: 

  • Email: 
  • Tel: 029 2041 6494 
  • Video appointment via Microsoft Teams: Use this link to book an appointment with a member of the team

For any other issues that may be affecting you, Student Services offer a range of services such as Wellbeing and Money advice

I don’t understand what is expected of me with my assignments. Can someone help?

You can talk to your tutors for academic guidance and the International Academic Advice Service also provides Individual tutorials, Academic Writing Seminars and general advice:

How do I enrol?

To be able to enrol onto your course at Cardiff Metropolitan University you must provide the University with copies of your immigration documents.  Therefore, once you have arrived in the UK, please upload the required documents to CAS Shield, the system will tell you which documents you need to upload from the list below:

      • Your entry clearance vignette (sticker in your passport which allowed you to enter the UK) with the entry stamp confirming the date of your entry to the UK.
      • The letter from UKVI confirming where your BRP has been delivered.
      • If you entered the UK through an E-Gate, or you did not receive an entry stamp in your passport, you will need to upload a copy of your boarding pass or flight ticket.
      • If you have collected your BRP card (front and back)

Once the university has received and reviewed the documents you will be approved for enrolment and send an email to your personal email address with a link for you to complete the self-enrolment process. 

How can I collect my BRP?

You will have received information from UK Visas & Immigration to confirm that your BRP has been issued and is either:

  • At the Post Office


  • At Cardiff Metropolitan University

Please read the relevant section below to find out how you will receive your BRP.


BRP Collection from a Post Office

You will need to COLLECT your BRP from the Post Office. Once you have collected your BRP from the Post Office, please upload copies of the BRP card (Front and Back) to CAS Shield.

BRP card from Cardiff Metropolitan University

You will be able to collect your BRP card from the Llandaff Campus once you have arrived.

DEPENDANTS: If you have dependants and their BRP card can also be collected from the Llandaff campus. Your dependants do not need to be with you, but you will need to bring their passports, so the this can be checked and the BRP cards issued.

Where can I get information about the Graduate Route visa?

The UK government launched the new Graduate Route on 1st July 2021. From this time, students holding a valid Tier 4 or Student visa, who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a UK Higher Education Provider, will be able to remain in the UK and work, or look for work, for 2 years after they have completed their studies (or 3 years if they have completed a PhD). 

 In order to be eligible to apply for this immigration route, students are required to study the whole of their course in the UK, however there are concessions in place for students who have been studying remotely or from a distance since the Covid-19 pandemic began. 

Further information can be found here

Useful Links