International>Study at Cardiff Met>September 2021 FAQs

September 2021 International Applicant FAQs

The below FAQ is for international applicants planning to join Cardiff Metropolitan University for the September 2021 intake. You can find further information about joining us this September here:

What to Expect: September 2021

All student Frequently Asked Questions

Once You've Arrived Frequently Asked Questions

Self-isolation Guidance Wales

International student arrivals in Wales: coronavirus

What do I need to do when planning to travel the UK?

  • Take a COVID-19 test within 3 days before you travel, to provide proof of a negative test before departure. Always check with your airline as specific requirements will vary
  • Complete a passenger locator form up to 48 hours before you travel
  • Pre-book and pay for a travel test package and pre-arrange your accommodation according to countries travelled from or through
  • Quarantine for 10 days on arrival in a managed quarantine facility if you travel from or through a red list country. If the £1750 fee for hotel quarantine creates a significant financial hardship for you, the Government offers an opportunity to apply for a deferred repayment plan when booking
  • If you are arriving from an amber list country, you will need to self-isolate for 10 days. The University will facilitate self-isolation accommodation for arrivals from amber list countries for students who are not able to move directly into their term-time accommodation on arrival
  • Take approved COVID-19 tests on day 2 and day 8 after your arrival 
  • Regularly check all relevant guidance pages for updates as travel advice might change

I want to travel to University from a country on the UK’s red list. Am I allowed to do so and what should I consider?

International students with a Tier 4 visa, a general student visa or pre-settled/settled status under the EU settlement scheme have UK residence rights, therefore, will be permitted to enter the UK. 

If you are allowed to travel to the UK from a red list country, upon arrival in England you will need to self-isolate for 10 days in a designated quarantine hotel. Please note that if you need to stay in a travel quarantine hotel, you may only enter the UK through designated airports – you can find details on the Government website. You will be escorted through the airport with other passengers who need to quarantine at a managed quarantine hotel. Your ‘quarantine package’ includes transport to your quarantine hotel. 

There is a maximum cost of £1750 per person to quarantine in one of these hotels. Bookings will be made through a dedicated Government online portal before you travel and will include: 

  • assigned government transportation 
  • food and drinks 
  • accommodation in a government-approved hotel 
  • security 
  • welfare support 
  • COVID-19 testing on day 2 and 8 of quarantine 

You can find full guidance on quarantine hotels and details of how to book on the Government’s website ‘Booking and staying in a quarantine hotel when you arrive’

To ensure compliance, the Government has introduced fines from £5,000 rising to £10,000 for arrivals who fail to quarantine in a designated hotel.

Will international students need proof of a negative COVID-19 test to travel to the UK?

Yes. Everyone travelling to the UK from abroad will need proof of a negative coronavirus (COVID-19) test result to enter the country. You need to have taken the test in the 3 days before you travel. 

You can read the full Government Guidance for further details.

Can I end quarantine early if I take a test?

There is no Test to Release Scheme in Wales so negative tests taken elsewhere do not avoid or reduce the period of isolation required in Wales.

The scheme is voluntary and applies to those self-isolating in England only.

Will the university provide accommodation if I need to self-isolate on arrival?

Green List Countries

If you are arriving from a green list country you are not required to self-isolate on arrival to the UK.

Amber List Countries

Nationals from some countries who have been fully vaccinated against Covid-19, are not required to self-isolate on arrival. For more information about these exemptions, please read the information in the following link: Quarantine and testing if you've been in an amber list country - GOV.UK

If you are arriving from an amber list country, you will need to self-isolate for 10 days in pre-arranged accommodation. If you have pre-arranged your long-term accommodation before arrival in the UK, you will be able to move in immediately to this accommodation for your self-isolation period. For those of you who are unable to move in straight away or have not yet found long-term accommodation, the university has a temporary accommodation option for you to allow you to safely and conveniently self-isolate for 10 days on arrival to Cardiff. Students will be allocated a private studio apartment (single occupancy) at a halls of residence called Eclipse which includes: bed with bedding pack, smart TV, study desk and chair, free Wi-Fi, self contained en-suite bathroom with shower, fully equipped kitchen with hob, oven, microwave, fridge/freezer, kettle, kitchenware and crockery. Students will receive a basic welcome food pack on arrival (eg, packets of rice/pasta etc, for the first night) and a kitchen pack to use during their stay. 

The university-arranged self-isolation option is very reasonably priced at £250 for the 10 day stay. 

This option is only available to students coming from amber-list countries and who are arriving into the UK via our FREE airport welcome service. For more information, please access the following link.

Self-isolation accommodation booking forms will be sent to you via email, along with a link to book your free airport welcome.

Red List Countries

If you are arriving from a red list country, you will need to self-isolate for 10 days in a managed quarantine facility (MQF). Please note that if you need to stay in an MQF you may only enter the UK through designated airports – you can find details on the Government website

When you arrive in England you will need to provide your completed passenger locator form to Border Force officers alongside your passport and negative COVID-19 test result. 

You will be escorted through the airport with other passengers who need to quarantine at a managed quarantine hotel. Your quarantine package includes transport to your quarantine hotel (and back to the airport at the end of your quarantine to reconnect to your travel plans). Please follow signs and instructions for the Managed Quarantine Service.

There is a maximum cost of £1750 per person to quarantine in one of these hotels. 

You can find full guidance on quarantine hotels and details of how to book on the Government’s website ‘Booking and staying in a quarantine hotel when you arrive'.

Transfer to Cardiff on completion of your self-isolation in a Managed Quarantine Facility 

The university would be very happy to support students arriving from red list countries with your transfer to Cardiff, after you have completed your 10 day isolation period in an MQF. In order to receive a travel voucher, please send your self-isolation booking confirmation to

What is the latest date I can arrive in the UK?

We would encourage all students to arrive in the UK as soon as they possibly can to ensure they can start their UK education experience. However, we understand the challenges & costs associated with travelling from or through a red list country. At present the university is unable to offer any reimbursement for quarantine costs, however we will be allowing students to start their course online so that they can access their study programme without having to travel to the UK in September. The university will ensure delivery of online/digital learning so that international students can start their studies while they make their way to us.

If I can’t arrive in the UK by my latest enrolment date, will this affect my visa?

UK Visa and Immigration has recently announced that international students on a Student4 visa can study online outside of the UK up until the 6th April 2022. (These visa concessions have been implemented so that students have a greater degree of flexibility on when they travel into the UK. Please note, if students arrive in the UK, visa requirements do not permit distance learning and students must attend classes on a full time basis.

I do not have access to an approved English language test, what options are available to me?

An updated list of University approved English language tests is available on our website

If you are unable to obtain an English language test, please contact our International Admissions Team for advice. We will do all we can to support your ambition to study with us. You can contact the team on

When do I need to pay my fees?

For details on fee payments and the payment deadline, please access the following web page: Fees and Money Matters

What will my social life be like?

We know that starting university can be a daunting as well as an exciting time and we are currently redeveloping our induction and social programme, in conjunction with the Students’ Union, to ensure that all new students get the best start to life at Cardiff Met as possible, whether online, on campus or a mixture of both.

Will I be able to get a part-time job to support my studies?

We know that part-time work is important to many international students in supporting their studies and career aspirations. The Covid-19 pandemic has transformed the UK labour market in recent months. Restrictions at the current time are lifting and more employment sectors are gradually re-opening. However, you cannot rely on the availability of part-time work to fund your life in the UK you should ensure that you have sufficient funds to pay for your studies and your life in the UK.

Will I be able to travel around the UK?

This will depend on the UK and Welsh Government policy at the time. For the most up to date information please visit the UK Government website & Welsh Government website.

Am I able to stay in University accommodation?

Yes, we would welcome applications to stay at University accommodation Information will be sent to you about how you can book this accommodation once you have accepted your offer.

Will there be changes to the Student Visa application process?

Some UK Visa Application Centres (VACs) are resuming services, where local restrictions allow. For updates to the status of VACs in your country, contact: 

TLS contact if you’re in Europe, Africa and parts of the Middle East 

VFS global for all other countries 

Ongoing global restrictions mean some UKVI services will remain closed. Contact your local VAC to find out the latest status. Where services are resuming, existing customers will be contacted. 

If you have any queries regarding your visa application, please contact our dedicated visa support team who will be happy to help you. You can contact the team on

Where can I get information about the Graduate Route visa?

The UK government launched the new Graduate Route on 1st July 2021. From this time, students holding a valid Tier 4 or Student visa, who have successfully completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a UK Higher Education Provider, will be able to remain in the UK and work, or look for work, for 2 years after they have completed their studies (or 3 years if they have completed a PhD). 

 In order to be eligible to apply for this immigration route, students are required to study the whole of their course in the UK, however there are concessions in place for students who have been studying remotely or from a distance since the Covid-19 pandemic began. 

Students who begin a course of 12 months or less this autumn or early next year will need to enter by 6 April 2022.

Will international students receive support from Cardiff Met if they become ill?

The health and well-being of our students is very important to Cardiff Met. We provide advice and support to all international students in all circumstances. 

 International students have access to the National Health Service (NHS) through the health surcharge that they pay as part of their visa application. If you require any advice about accessing health services, the Global Student Advisory Service will be happy to advise.

Will I need to bring a laptop with me?

Yes, all students should bring a laptop with them to enable full engagement with their studies. 

There is a dedicated Cardiff Met helpdesk for students who have queries or issues with their IT equipment during their studies. They are always happy to help.

Once You've Arrived

Can I move to other accommodation during my 10 day self-isolation period?

You should not change the place where you are isolating except in limited circumstances. These circumstances will include where:

  • a legal obligation requires you to change the premises at which you reside for the purpose of an isolation requirement;
  • you are otherwise unable to remain at the premises at which you are residing for the purpose of an isolation requirement. 

If this happens, you must complete a new Passenger Locator Form with the address of the alternative premises as soon as is reasonably practicable.

Is there an airport welcome this year?

This year, we are offering a free airport welcome service from London Heathrow Airport on the following dates:

Wednesday 15th September 2021 – Booking deadline: Tuesday 7th September 

Thursday 16th September 2021 – Booking deadline: Wednesday 8th September 

Friday 1st October 2021 – Booking deadline: Thursday 23rd September 

Saturday 2nd October 2021 – Booking deadline: Friday 24th September

Please note: students must book a flight that lands at Heathrow before 7.00pm to use the airport welcome service. 

Further information can be found here.

An email will be sent to you with booking instructions. For enquiries, contact

What should I do if I feel unwell whilst self-isolating?

For advice, you should call NHS direct on 0845 46 47 or visit This is a free service. You will be asked about your symptoms and given advice about what you should do. You should not go to the hospital if you are self-isolating. If you would prefer to speak to you in your own language, you can ask for an interpreter/translator. See here for more details:

I am self-isolating and feel unwell (not Covid-related) but I need to get some medication, what should I do?

If you are not registered with a doctor in the UK, but you need medicine, you can purchase medication from a pharmacy online such as Boots.  You can only register with a doctor (GP) once you have a UK address (Not a temporary address where you are self-isolating). When you have moved into your accommodation, you must register with a doctor’s surgery located near to your new home. This is a list of surgeries in Cardiff. For information about registering, check the surgeries’ websites.

What if I have coronavirus symptoms?

You should look for any of the following symptoms in the 10 days after the day you arrive in the UK:

  • new continuous cough
  • high temperature
  • loss or change to your sense of smell or taste 

Use this link to do a self-assessment for coronavirus symptoms.: 

If you have any of these symptoms, you should continue to isolate at home. If you are staying with others and you develop symptoms, the whole household that you are staying with will need to begin isolating

You should apply for a test if you have the symptoms of coronavirus. Please see the guidance on testing for more information. 

If you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home, or your condition gets worse, or your symptoms do not get better after 7 days, then use the NHS Wales 111 online coronavirus (COVID-19) service. If you do not have internet access, call NHS 111. For a medical emergency dial 999. You MUST NOT go to the hospital or leave your room whilst you are waiting for your test result or while you are isolating unless you are advised to do so by a medical professional. 

If you develop symptoms, you must isolate for at least 10 days from the point you arrived in the UK and if you get symptoms during that time for at least 7 days from symptom onset, until you are better and no longer have a high temperature. You will need to isolate for 10 days from the time that you arrived in the UK even if you have had and recovered from coronavirus symptoms in this time. If you are tested and receive a negative result for coronavirus, you must continue to isolate until you have reached the end of the 10 day period, even if your symptoms have gone. 

If you arrived in the UK more than 10 days ago, you do not need to continue self-isolation once you have had symptoms for 7 days and your temperature has returned to normal. Symptoms of a cough or changes to your sense of smell or taste can last for several weeks after the infection has gone and so you can stop self-isolating even if you have these symptoms. The household you are staying with should isolate for 10 days from day after your symptoms start. 

If you develop new symptoms or your existing symptoms worsen within your 10-day isolation period, then please contact NHS Wales 111 again and follow their advice.

I am self-isolating but need to get shopping, can I go to the shops briefly?

Whilst you are self-isolating, you should not leave your accommodation for 14 days. You will need to purchase your shopping online. The following supermarkets offer online grocery delivery services: 




Morrisons (Amazon Prime Now)

Morrisons (Deliveroo)



Co-op (Deliveroo)


Marks and Spencer (Ocado and Deliveroo)




Or try this delivery service Deliver Buzz 

You can also order takeaway meals here:

For more information, see the Welsh Government guidance here:

How can I find permanent accommodation after self-isolating?

The Global Student Advisory Service is here to help you search for permanent accommodation once you have completed your 10-day self-isolation. Although there is plenty of private accommodation in Cardiff, you may need to book yourself into a hotel for a few days while you find a suitable property. You can utilise your time in self-isolation to research available properties in Cardiff and arrange viewings of properties as soon as possible once you have completed your self-isolation. 

Please do not pay a deposit and sign a contract for any accommodation before you have had chance to view and fully inspect a property in person. Some houses can look very different in photographs and videos. Accommodation contracts are legally binding and once signed you will be committed to paying the rent for the property for the whole duration of the tenancy. Therefore, it is very important that you are able to check the property thoroughly before making this commitment. 

The Global Student Advisory Service will be holding live webinars with advice about finding permanent accommodation. We are also available by telephone, email and video call to help you with your queries.

Do I have to live in Cardiff whilst I am studying?

You will be required to live in or close to Cardiff to allow you to attend all of your classes on a full time basis. Please note, although it is possible to start your studies from overseas whilst you make your way to the UK, once you have arrived in the UK, distance learning is NOT permitted. This is an immigration regulation. Your UK address must be within a commutable distance to your study campus to allow you to attend all classes each day.

Do I need to wear a mask/face covering?

Regulations are updated frequently, please access the Welsh Government website for up to date information:

I need to open a bank account, how do I do this?

You should bring a Mastercard or visa debit/credit card with you to the UK to ensure you can purchase groceries and essentials online because you WILL NOT be permitted to leave your room for 14 days after arrival. 

Many banks will accept a PDF version of a letter that can be produced by the Global Student Advisory Service. The letter will not need to be addressed to the specific bank. To request a letter to open a bank account, students MUST be enrolled and living in their long-term accommodation. It may not be possible to open a bank account if you are staying in a hotel or temporary accommodation

To request a letter to open a bank account after enrolling and arriving in the UK, email and provide your student number, full name, course title, UK address in the email.

What should I bring with me?

  • You must bring a laptop to allow you to study online. You must engage with studies as soon as the course induction begins and your engagement will be monitored in accordance with Tier 4 immigration regulations
  • A face mask/face covering for use on the airplane and public transport
  • Hand sanitiser to ensure you keep your hands clean
  • A Mastercard or Visa debit /credit card to ensure you can purchase online groceries when you are self-isolating as you will not be permitted to leave your room. After self-isolating, many shops are also insisting on card payments only to avoid handling cash and risk spreading the virus
  • A mobile phone with international roaming switched on. This is essential to allow people to be tracked and traced if there is a coronavirus outbreak

Will I be studying on campus?

Yes. In line with UK Government guidance, we are pleased to confirm that once you are in the UK, you will largely be taught face to face in non-socially distanced groups of up to 30 unless, as in the case of lab-based practicals, previous risk assessment allows a larger group, while wearing appropriate PPE. 

We understand that it may be challenging for some of you to arrive in time for the start of your course due to frequency of flights etc, therefore our advice is to commence your studies online from your home country whilst you make arrangements to join us in Cardiff.

How can I travel to campus?

  • Use a Next Bike – these are bicycles for hire found in various locations around the city
  • Find a bus route using the Cardiff Bus website and go to ‘plan a journey’ and ‘routes and maps’

You may wish to take a taxi which you can order online or via an app: 

You must wear a face covering or mask to travel using public transport. If you do not have a face covering, you will not be permitted to travel.

How can I get a part-time job?

There are a variety of opportunities available in some employment sectors, such as food retail stores and the care industry, but other sectors remain limited:

  • Contact Cardiff Met’s Careers Service for advice and help with CVs
  • Cardiff Met SU can also advise on CVs etc.
  • Contact local food and retail outlets directly
  • Search online for “part-time jobs in Cardiff”
  • Or search engines/employment agencies such as Indeed or Total Jobs

When should I pay my fees?

Please visit our Fees and Money Matters pages for more information.

How can I meet other students?

You will be able to meet your classmates initially via some online induction activities and webinars and then later on campus when attending your classes. Details about the programme of induction activities will be advertised soon. The Students’ Union and Met Social will also be hosting some activities for you to join in with.

What if I have any problems, who should I speak to?

  • If you have problems or questions about your course please contact your Course Director or Personal Tutor. Your school administrator may also be able to help
  • The Global Student Advisory Service offers a range of support including welfare, immigration and academic advice. To contact them: 
      • Email: 
      • Tel: 029 2041 6494 
      • Video appointment via Microsoft Teams: Use this link to book an appointment with a member of the team
  • For any other issues that may be affecting you, Student Services offer a range of services such as Wellbeing and Money advice

I don’t understand what is expected of me with my assignments. Can someone help?

You can talk to your tutors for academic guidance and the International Academic Advice Service also provides Individual tutorials, Academic Writing Seminars and general advice:

How do I enrol?

You will be sent an email with a link to complete the self-enrolment. You will need to use the username and password provided in the email to log in. You will also be sent a link to watch a video to help you input the correct details onto the enrolment screens. If you have any questions, you can contact

How do I get my timetable?

It is important that you read your course joining instructions and learn about your induction programme. Your course timetable will be sent to you by your Programme Team.

How can I collect my BRP?

Post Office Collection

Once your visa application has been processed, you will have received confirmation that your biometric residence permit (BRP) has been delivered to a named Post Office. You will need to collect your BRP from the Post Office once you have arrived in the UK. The UKVI will send your BRP card to the Post Office closest to the term time address that you have stated on your visa application. 

Please note, your term time address MUST be in or within a commutable distance to campus to allow you to attend all face to face classes. 

Students required to self-isolate on arrival to UK 

If you are required to self-isolate on arrival to the UK, you should collect your BRP from the Post Office AFTER you have completed your self-isolation period. The letter from UKVI will state that you need to collect your BRP within 10 days of arrival in the UK. However, if you are required to isolate for a period of 10 days, you must not collect your BRP until this period has passed. As soon as your isolation period has passed, you should collect your BRP. 

Students not required to self-isolate on arrival to the UK 

You should collect your BRP from the Post Office within 10 days of arrival in the UK. 

BRP Delivery Option 

A small number of students who submitted visa applications earlier in the year, may have had the option to request BRP delivery to the university or to their UK address. 

If you selected this option, UKVI will send your BRP to you once the university has confirmed that they have verified your identity and UK address. The UKVI will not be able to send your BRP to you while you are staying in temporary accommodation. Your BRP can only be sent once you have moved into your long-term accommodation, which must be in a commutable distance to the university. 

Arranging delivery 

  1. Once you have arrived in the UK, please email, sending a copy of your passport information page, BRP collection letter and entry clearance visa (with the stamp to confirm you have entered the UK). If you entered the airport immigration via an e-gate and there is no stamp on your visa, then you should also send a copy of your flight ticket. 
  2. You will then be contacted by one of the Global Student Advisory Team who will confirm with you, the address to which your BRP should be sent. We will need to verify your identity, therefore we will contact you to arrange a digital appointment to speak to you via Microsoft Teams before we confirm your details to UKVI. 
  3. UKVI will arrange for your BRP to be sent to you securely via TNT/Fedex. You will receive an email to your Cardiff Metropolitan student email address to confirm the delivery date and the consignment reference number of your BRP card, so that you can track and change the delivery date, if it is not suitable for you. 
  4. Once you receive your BRP, please send a copy of the front and back to