How to Apply

​​​​There are a number of different application procedures for the different types of courses available at Cardiff Metropolitan University. It is important that you use the correct procedure to make sure that your application reaches us.​ 

The information and application processes below apply only for Home/UK applicants. 

For information on how to apply as an International/EU applicant, please click here.

Full-Time Undergraduate Students

Our full-time undergraduate HND/Degree courses based at Llandaff or Cyncoed Campus all begin in September of each year.  If you wish to apply for one of these courses, you will need to make an application through UCAS at You can apply through the normal application process via UCAS up until the end of June, and through Clearing via UCAS after June. Most of our courses accept applications through the year but please contact Admissions to confirm if there is a specific closing date for your chosen course. If you apply elsewhere and then change your mind, Cardiff Met also accepts applications via UCAS Extra. UCAS Extra gives you a 6th choice in case you change your mind or don't receive the offers you wanted from your original choices. You can find more information on UCAS Extra here.

We also have a number of HND and Foundation Degree programmes run in partnership with local colleges - Cardiff and Vale College and Bridgend College. They have a number of locations including two Cardiff campuses. If you would like to apply for one of these courses you are able to apply direct to the college or via UCAS. Details of the courses and how to apply can be found under our Undergraduate Course A-Z.

 Also, make sure you read the information on our Before you Apply pages for some tips.

PGCE - Teacher Training

Our PGCE courses are postgraduate courses for applicants that have already completed a degree and wish to become qualified teachers. The courses are all one year full-time beginning in September. 

If you wish to apply for a PGCE teacher training course, please make an application via UCAS Undergraduate at

Postgraduate, Professional & Part-Time Students

Postgraduate (excluding PGCE Primary & Secondary), Professional and Part-time applications should be made directly to Admissions through Cardiff Met Self Service. Please click here for further information.

International Students

International students interested in applying and understanding visa requirements can find more information by clicking here.

Research Students

Research applications should be made directly to Admissions. Please click here for further information.


Cardiff Met Students based at Llandaff or Cyncoed

If you are a current Cardiff Met student (studying on a Foundation Year or HNC/D) and wish to top-up or progess to an undergraduate programme, you will need to contact your Programme Director in the first instance and declare which degree you want to progress to. More information can be found here.

The Programme Director will then need to inform Academic Registry if your are permitted to progress. This process excludes those applying for BSc Dental Technology, BSc Healthcare Sciences, BSc Human Nutrition & Dietetics, BSc Podiatry, BSc Social Work and BSc Speech & Language Therapy where applications must be made through UCAS ( as these programmes have either limited places or are funded by NHS or NLIAH.

If you have not expressed an interest to progress and have been exited with an award, you will need to reapply through UCAS (

UK Franchise Partnership

If you are a student studying at one of our franchise partnership colleges on an undergraduate full time programme, and wish to top-up, or use what you have achieved to enter into a different level at Cardiff Met, you will be able to do this as an internal transfer.  You will be asked if you want to top-up when you are nearing the end of your FdN Degree/HNC/HND course, and if you want to, then you will need to complete the Declaration of Intent to Progress. This will allow our Enrolment Team to update your enrolment record onto the new course, once your award has been confirmed in the exam boards.

Overseas Partnership

If you are a student studying at one of our overseas partnership institutions, and wish to top-up or use credit transfer to study the remainder of your time at Cardiff Met, you will need to apply through UCAS (  Depending on your qualifications, you will receive an offer and information concerning starting at Cardiff Met.

Transfer from another University

We will consider your application to transfer from another University if you meet our transfer requirements. You must make your transfer application through UCAS (Undergraduate), or through our Self Service application system (for postgraduate & professional courses). The normal deadlines apply.

In the first instance, you are welcome to send us proof of your current studies, so we can assess whether or not we are able to offer you a place and what year you will be able to enter onto. This will depend on whether your current studies match the content of our course to allow us to grant you Recognised Prior Learning (RPL). For more information on the RPL process, please click here. 

Transfer courses within Cardiff Met

If you are current Cardiff Met student and you want to transfer onto another course within Cardiff Met, you will need to contact the Programme Director of the new course to assess your suitability. You do not need to come back through the Admissions process.

If the transfer is agreed, you will then need to ask your current course tutor to complete an internal transfer form, which will notify Academic Registry to amend your programme details within the student system.

Leaving Cardiff Met to go to another University/College

If you are thinking of leaving Cardiff Met to continue your studies elsewhere, please contact your personal tutor in the first instance to discuss your options. If you then decide to leave, your course tutor will need to complete a Withdrawal Form for our Academic Registry department to formally withdraw you from your course.  


Cardiff Metropolitan University accepts deferred applications for the majority of its undergraduate courses. You will need to indicate your relevant year of entry when making your application through UCAS and meet all of your offer conditions in the year you are applying. Please note that, due to restricted target numbers and placements available, we cannot accept deferred applications for the following courses - BSc Speech & Language Therapy / BSc Human Nutrition & Dietetics / BSc Healthcare Science / BSc Social Work / BSc Podiatry / BA Primary Education with QTS.

Armed Forces Personnel

Cardiff Metropolitan University is a registered learning provider with the Ministry of Defence's ELCAS scheme for armed forces personnel wishing to study a university course. More information can be found here.

Mature applications

A mature student is an undergraduate student over the age of 21 who didn't go to university after school or college. At Cardiff Met, we welcome people of all ages to our undergraduate courses. Mature applicants decide to embark on higher education for a number of reasons - to maybe change direction or progress their career.

UCAS has produced some useful information for applicants over the age of 21 which may help you with the application process. Further information can be found here.

Our mature applicants apply for a whole variety of courses, and can bring skills and attributes from other like experiences. Our student blogs show you how some of our mature students have immersed themselves into student life at Cardiff Met.

Refugees and Asylum Seekers

If you are seeking asylum, or have been granted refugee status in the UK, we welcome an application from you. You may have previous qualifications from your home country, or you may want to explore the options available through our Widening Participation team as a stepping stone into Cardiff Met. 

If there is any query over your fee status, depending on your current residency in the UK, we will request for you complete our fee status assessment form for more details, when we receive your application. 

We also offer a Sanctuary Award which is a package including a full fee waiver. You can find details of this award on our Bursary and Scholarship pages.

For additional advice and guidance, please refer to the following sites:

UCAS - student finance advice for refugees and asylum seekers

Refugee Support Network - Higher education resources

If you have any further queries before or during your application process, please contact Admissions. 

Country Sanctions

​Cardiff Metropolitan University has a legal obligation to comply with sanctions enforced by the UK government, UK sanctions regimes - GOV.UK (   

As such, we are not able to receive money for tuition fees and payments for accommodation and other campus services where that money originated from a country mentioned in the UK sanctions regime.

We are also required to be wary of transferring restricted technology by teaching or participating in research collaborations. This means that any applicant applying from a sanctioned country at postgraduate level or above, for an applied STEM subject course which may lead to exporting sensitive software or technology, which could be used for military potential (including the building of weapons of Mass Destruction), may not be able to be offered a place.  Courses that this affects include all programmes within our School of Technology and Product Design courses within the school of Art and Design.

International applicants subject to UK immigration control, who are intending to study at postgraduate level in certain sensitive subjects, knowledge of which could be used in programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction or their means of delivery need to apply to the Academic Technology Approval Scheme for an ATAS certificate before they can study in the UK.

Any concerns over students who are working with sensitive technology are referred to the UK government’s Academic Technology Approval Scheme.​