Dyslexia, ADHD and SpLD Support

​​We provide advice and support to students with specific learning difficulties (SpLDs), such as:

  • Dyslexia
  • Dyspraxia
  • ADHD

A specific learning difficulty refers to a difference or difficulty with particular aspects of learning.

If you are unsure whether you have an SpLD you can discuss your concerns with a member of the team before starting University:

Email: wellbeingsupport@cardiffmet.ac.uk​

We require evidence of your SpLD in order to arrange any academic or  exam adjustments. It will be beneficial for this evidence to be available before you begin your studies. 


We need a photocopy of a full diagnostic assessment, written by a qualified assessor who holds an approved qualification and is either:

  • a specialist teacher assessor holding a current SpLD Assessment Practising Certificate (APC)
  • a practitioner psychologist, registered with the HCPC

Our support officers can offer you a dyslexia screening and signpost you to external assessment.

Costs for assessments vary, you must pay the cost of the assessment yourself. You can find a dyslexia assessor by: 

Dyspraxia and ADHD

Dyspraxia and ADHD may be assessed by medical professionals, in which case we will need written confirmation from them of the diagnosis, and a clear indication of the condition's impact on your studies. Let us know if you are on a waiting list for an ADHD Diagnosis.

ADHD diagnosis 

To get a diagnosis of ADHD, a student must meet several criteria that are defined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) and the UK NICE 87 Guideline.

Diagnoses are normally made via a GP referral to specialists. 

Specialists will have training and experiencing in diagnosing ADHD, and include specialist psychiatrists, paediatricians, clinical and/or some educational psychologists.  

Waiting times for a diagnosis can be lengthy and students are advised to speak to Students Services for more information and guidance. 

Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) support

If you have a formal diagnosis, you may be eligible for additional support from Disabled Student Allowance DSA.

The DSA provides funding for equipment, software, and personal support workers, if appropriate, to help you overcome any specific challenges related to your SpLD.

Our advisers will help you navigate the application process and ensure that you receive the necessary support to excel academically. ​