Within the School there is a Sports Medicine hub which provides physiotherapy and sports massage clinics, as well as a number of related courses such as MSc Sport and Exercise Medicine, BSc Sport Conditioning, Rehabilitation and Massage, and MSc Strength and Conditioning.
Located within the Cardiff School of Sport & Health Sciences (CSSHS), the Sports Coaching Hub is led by Dr. Christian Edwards. Through both integrative and customised action, the Sports Coaching Hub is an international leader in the field of coach education and research. It has a proven record of accomplishment in delivering research and development consultancy support to sport and sport coaching organisations, nationally and internationally. Coach education work currently undertaken by the WRU and Sport Wales, among others is both informed by Cardiff Met research and delivered by Cardiff Met staff (other organisations use Cardiff Met Research; for example the GAA).
We are proud to have strong links with some of the most influential professional associations internationally relating to sports coaching. These include FIFA, UEFA, and the Sports Coaching Review Journal, a leading edge critical publication for international community of sports coaching scholars, students and practitioners.
We offer a range of cutting edge services: Coach Education and Development; Qualifications (DSC Taught Doctorate, Professional Doctorate and a MSc in Sports Coaching ); One-to-one, group or whole organisation training, bespoke short course and general CPD (through traditional and blended learning formats), Coaching strategy and systems analysis and design.
The expertise of our staff is extensive:
Coach education and development.
- Critical sociology of sports pedagogy and coaching, looking at sports participation, and how that experience is framed by coaches.
- Pedagogy in Physical Education and Sport Coaching settings.
- The development of professional practice in sport coaching.
- The value of, and improving, development pathways.
- Reflective practice and the potential it has for developing effective practice and facilitating human flourishing.
- Participant and coach modelling.
- Coaching strategy, workforce planning and management.
- Developmental and evaluative research.
Our clients include: UEFA, FIFA, Football Association (FA), FAW, Welsh Rugby Union, Sport Wales, Canadian Rugby Union.
Cardiff Metropolitan is determined to be a good neighbour and be the pride of our local communities, and with this in mind we welcome co-productive research invitations from local groups and support local businesses. More information on our Community Partnerships is available on our
Community Engagement page.