Name: Grace Gear
Course: BSc (Hons) Sport and Excercise Science
Year of study: 1
- Started at the age of 5 due to my brother playing
- Represented England at every junior age group
- Won gold at the European Team Junior Championships U15 & U17
- Been English Champion twice
- Current Devon and Exeter Junior Open Champion
- Hertfordshire U19 Country Champion for 5 years
- Placed 3rd in the U19 British Championships 2016
- Placed 14th in the British Junior Open 2017- Biggest junior tournament in the world
- Placed 4th at BUCS individuals 2016
- I aim to become the European U19 Junior Champion, compete in the Commonwealth Games and reach the top 10 in the World
What difference has the Scholarship made?
I chose to study at Cardiff Met as it allowed me to balance my studies and training, something I hadn't received before. The scholarship gives me access to all the top-quality facilities, including Strength and Conditioning to work on my strength, power and explosive movements, as well as regular massages which allows me to keep my body in good shape when training. I also received money towards my accommodation which relieves some financial pressure and allows me to use the money to focus on competition and nutrition. The campus allowance makes it easy for me to have food on the go during a busy day, keeping my energy levels high ready for when I train.