His current research work focuses on supporting creative learning; the design of simulated environments for product evaluation; design for the developing world; and in helping organisations with their creativity strategies and processes.
Click here to view Dr Loudon’s papers and publications on Cardiff Metropolitan University’s DSpace repository.
Loudon, G. and Deininger, G. (2020). The Importance of Presencing in Creativity, In Gunnlaugson, O. and Brendel, W. (Eds.), Advances in Presencing Volume II: Individual Approaches in Theory U, Trifoss Business Press, pp. 131-154.
Loudon, G. & Gordon, B. (2019) How student engagement has been enhanced through research into factors affecting creativity, Student Engagement in Higher Education Journal, Vol. 2, No. 3, pp. 84-101.
Clifton, N., Fuzi, A. & Loudon, G. (2019). Coworking in the Digital Economy: Context, Motivations, and Outcomes, Futures, July, DOI: 10.1016/j.futures.2019.102439
Loudon, G.H. , Kumar, C.S., Sreekumar, K.T., Haritha H., George, K.K. (2019) Empowering indigenous communities in India through the use of design thinking methods, ESRC/AHRC GCRF Indigenous Methods Workshop, Rio de Janeiro.
Loudon, G. and Deininger, G. (2017) The Physiological Response to Drawing and Its Relation to Attention and Relaxation. Journal of Behavioural and Brain Science , 7, 111-124. https://doi.org/10.4236/jbbs.2017.73011
Loudon, G. and Deininger, G. (2016) The Physiological Response during Divergent Thinking. Journal of Behavioral and Brain Science, 6, 28-37. doi: 10.4236/jbbs.2016.61004.
Loudon, G.H., Zampelis, D. and Deininger, G.M. (2017) Using Real-time Biofeedback of Heart Rate Variability Measures to Track and Help Improve Levels of Attention and Relaxation. ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference, 27th-30th June, Singapore.
Selected conference papers
• (2017) Loudon, G.H., Zampelis, D. and Deininger, G.M. Using Real-time Biofeedback of Heart Rate Variability Measures to Track and Help Improve Levels of Attention and Relaxation. ACM Creativity and Cognition Conference, 27th-30th June, Singapore.
• (2016) Coleman, S, Treadaway, C., and Loudon, G. Avenues, Values, and the Muse: An ethnographic study of creative activity to support the wellbeing of residents living with dementia in residential care, 10th Internal Conference on Design and Emotion, 27th – 30th September, Amsterdam.
• (2015) Watkins C. A., Loudon, G. H., Gill, S. and Hall, J.E. (2015) ‘The Challenges of taking a User-Centric Approach within developing countries: A case study of designing medical solutions for Zambia’, Proceedings of the 11th European Academy of Design Conference, Paris Desartes University, Boulogne Billancourt, France, April 22-24.
• (2015) Fuzi, A., Clifton, N. & Loudon, G.H. (2015) ‘New spaces for supporting entrepreneurship? Co-working spaces in the Welsh entrepreneurial landscape’, Proceedings of the 8th International Conference of entrepreneurship, innovation and regional development, Sheffield, UK, June 18-19.
• (2014) Loudon, G.H. and Deininger, G.M.. A new model for supporting creativity in research organisations, R&D Management Conference, 3rd – 6th June, Stuttgart.
• (2012) Loudon, G.H., Deininger, G.M. & Gordon, B.S.. Play, Autonomy and the Creative Process, 2nd International Conference on Design Creativity, Glasgow, UK, 18th-20th September.
• (2014) Dhaliwal, B., Loudon, G.H. and McCarthy,P.W. Limb shield, UK Patent No. GB2484570.
• (2012) Culverhouse, I., Gill, S.J. and Loudon,G.H. Prototyping and testing man-machine interfaces, UK Patent No. GB2461334.
• (2003) Loudon,G.H, Chen,H. and Tng,T.H. Recognition Process, Patent No. US2003086611
• (2003) Loudon,G.H, Pittman,J.A. and Wu, Y.M.. Methods and apparatus for handwriting recognition, Patent No. US6556712
(2018, 2019, 2020) National Professional Enquiry Project, Welsh Government - developing professional enquiry skills of teachers for the New Curriculum for Wales.
(2019) Innovate UK, Knowledge Transfer Partnership with P&A Ltd. - embedding UCD in new product development of outdoor furniture.
(2018) AHRC Creative Clusters Grant - developing R&D potential of screen media and news companies in South Wales – Co-Investigator
(2017) AHRC/GCRF Research Networking Grant – 'Improving healthcare support for rural communities in India' – Principal Investigator
(2017) SMART Partnership Grant, Welsh Government, 'Embedding User Centred Design in FinTech Product Development'
(2017) Life Sciences Bridging Fund, Welsh Government - design and user testing of Red Cross First Responder Pack.
(2017) AHRC Research Networking Grant – ‘Improving healthcare support for rural communities in India’
(2017) SMART Partnership Grant, Welsh Government, ‘Embedding User Centred Design in FinTech Product Development’
(2016) Research Innovation Award (Product Design), Cardiff Metropolitan University, fully funded bursary for a PhD.
(2014) Research & Enterprise Investment Fund, Cardiff Metropolitan University, for development of a Perceptual Experience Lab (PEL).
(2014) Research Innovation Award (Product Design), Cardiff Metropolitan University, fully two years post doctoral research assistant
(2013) Research Innovation Award (Cardiff School of Management), Cardiff Metropolitan University, fully funded bursary for a PhD
(2013) Research Innovation Award (CARIAD) , Cardiff Metropolitan University, fully funded bursary for a PhD
(2013) Knowledge Transfer Partnership Ecodesign Centre Wales and Elwell Buildings, Technology Strategy Board
(2012) Knowledge Economy Skills Scholarship ‘Access to Masters’ scheme, Welsh Government
(2012) Research Innovation Award (Product Design), Cardiff Metropolitan University, fully funded bursary for a PhD
(2010) UWIC Learning and Teaching Fellowship Award
(2010) Prince of Wales Innovation Scholarship, Wales Global Academy and Peepo Ltd, fully funded bursary for a PhD
Three Bursary Awards for Research Students
Bronze award at the Industrial Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) organized by the Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA)
Silver award at the Industrial Design Excellence Awards (IDEA) organized by the Industrial Design Society of America (IDSA)
Best software product and Best of the Best Award at COMDEX Asia for Apple’s Chinese Dictation Kit product
Supervision of Doctoral Research (titles or broad areas of investigation)
Anna Bhushan: Can mindful meditation practice enhance creativity within Art And Design Higher Education
Debbie Savage: Demonstrating The Impact Of Research In Art & Design
Kirsten Stevens-Wood: An exploration of intentional communities as experimental spaces.
John Barker: Developing business innovation in an economically challenged region: A case study on Medium Sized Businesses in Wales
Craig Kirkwood: Lingua Colour – an open colour system for the graphic arts
Mohammad Alhazim: Investigation into the design of Kuwaiti Government dwellings for occupant well-being.
Bethan Gordon (2021): Keeping it real - the potential for accessible mixed reality to simulate context of use scenarios when usability testing products.
Abbie Lawrence (2021): Thought for Food: An evidence-led approach to improving Welsh food industry competitiveness.
Alice Gilmour (2020): Making vegetables "cool" – improving the eating habits of Wales' younger generation.
Nicole Ruta (2019): Visual perception in far peripheral visual space and its artistic representations.
Steve Coleman (2018): Ludic activities - creative strategies to support subjective well-being of older people with dementia in residential care. (Supervisor)
Anita Fuzi (2017): Space for creative and entrepreneurial activities? Coworking spaces in the entrepreneurial landscape of an economically challenged region.
Claire Andrews (2016): Designing with people with visual impairments: an exploration of the value of extraordinary users in design.
Clara Watkins (2016): Disruptive innovation: developing culturally appropriate transformative medical product solutions in rural Zambia.
Dimitrios Zampelis (2016): Augmented reality assisted prototyping
Jo Hare (2014): The role of physicality in the design process of computer embedded products.
Gina Deininger (2013): Does state of being and dynamic movement have a relationship with creativity?
Ian Culverhouse (2012): Investigation into the potential of a novel rapid low fidelity interactive prototyping technique for the design development of computer embedded devices.
Alex Woolley (2009): Contextual testing of interactive prototypes at the early stages of the design process.