Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Checks




​​​An introduction to criminal records checks at Cardiff Metropolitan University 

As you will appreciate, there is a need to be particularly careful about the character and background of anyone whose work or training will bring them into contact with the vulnerable. Cardiff Metropolitan University offers a number of programmes during which students will spend a considerable amount of time working with children or vulnerable people and as a result applicants who receive an offer for one of these programmes (and intend to take up the place) are required to undergo a criminal records check prior to the start of their programme.

The Disclosure and Barring Service is a one stop shop service to those requiring criminal records disclosures and barring checks for employment services.  For more information on the DBS please refer to http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/dbs, and read the information provided below for you:​​

Do I need to do a criminal records check?

If your programme involves you coming into contact with children and young or vulnerable people then you will be asked to carry out a criminal records check.

Students who are studying in the areas of Education, Healthcare Science, Housing, Complementary Healthcare, Dietetics, Podiatry, Social Work and Speech & Language Therapy will be asked to do a check as standard.

It is possible that students studying in other areas will also be asked to carry out a criminal records check as part of their programme but you do not need to carry one out unless asked.

Previous or current Cardiff Met students, who have undertaken a DBS c​heck through us for a previous programme, will need to contact Admissions at askadmissions@cardiffmet.ac.uk ​ to confirm if a new check is required.

How does Cardiff Metropolitan University carry out its criminal records checks?

Cardiff Metropolitan University uses two application forms to carry out its criminal records checks:

  • A ‘self declaration form’ which asks you to declare any warnings, criminal cautions and convictions and to agree to keep us informed of any subsequent cautions or convictions.
  • A Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) application form which is sent to the DBS for checks to be made and a disclosure to be issued.

You must tell Cardiff Metropolitan University about any relevant convictions, i.e. those convictions for offences against the person, whether of a violent or sexual nature and convictions for offences involving unlawfully supplying controlled drugs or substances where the conviction concerns commercial drug dealing or trafficking.

Having a conviction will not automatically exclude you from the application process but we may need to consider your application further.

Criminal records checks for applicants who originate from outside of the UK

Any applicant who has resided in another country will be expected to provide a criminal check carried out by that country. The DBS cannot currently access overseas criminal records or other relevant information as part of its disclosure service. For information in relation to overseas procedures please refer to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) at http://www.gov.uk/fco/ which lists the websites of all embassies and High Commissions where information on the current practices for applying can be found.

Applicants should endeavour to obtain the following (at the applicant’s cost):

  • A 'certificate of good conduct' (police records check) from the relevant authorities confirming that the applicant has no criminal record from their home country.
  • Obtain verification of the ‘certificate of good conduct' by the relevant Consulate for that country within the UK (at the applicant’s cost).

All documents obtained from abroad must be translated (at the applicant’s cost) from the relevant language into English. Applicants should contact the relevant foreign embassy for further information regarding the verification of documents.

In order to fulfil admission requirements overseas (including EU) applicants who have never resided in the UK, will be required to undertake an enhanced DBS check once they have moved to the UK, and have a UK address due to the DBS being unable to undertake a check unless a UK address is provided.

Applicants who are Overseas but have resided in the UK

The University places the onus on applicants who have been resident in the UK for a limited period of time, to provide details of their criminal records history from their home country as well as undertaking a criminal records check for their time spent in the UK.

Do I need to undertake a DBS check if I have lived or worked abroad?

If you have resided in another country for work or holiday purposes for a period of more than six months, you would be expected to undertake a police check in the country in which you have resided.

For those residing in the UK, an Enhanced DBS check is required, and for those who reside outside the UK, please refer to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) at http://www.gov.uk/fco/ which lists the websites of all embassies and High Commissions where information on the current practices for police checks can be found.

Additional information can be found in the drop down heading Criminal record check for applicants who originate from outside of the UK above.