|Lecturer in Educational Studies
| Cardiff School of Education and Social Policy
|029 2020 5891
• Education and Social Research Group (ESRG)
• Member of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)
• Member of the British Sociological Association
• Member of the British Education Studies Association
• Barriers and incentives to participation in adult and continuing education
• The role of lifelong learning in facilitating social inclusion and economic regeneration in Wales
I am engaged in on-going, collaborative projects with a variety of voluntary and community based groups, to develop strategies to widen opportunities for potential learners in communities with low levels of participation in post compulsory education. Additional aspects of this work include partnership working to improve organisational capacity.
I graduated as a mature student in 1992 from Cardiff University with a BA (Hons) in Welsh History and Sociology. This was followed by a PGCE (FE). I then undertook an M.Sc. (Econ) in Research Methods and Applications, again at Cardiff University. Prior to attending University I was a Storekeeper in an engineering factory.
I joined Cardiff Metropolitan University in September 2007. I am a Senior Lecturer and I teach on the BA Education Studies programme. I have specific responsibility for first and second year modules that focus upon employability and leadership. I am also responsible for the coordination of students' work based placements. I have previously worked as a Development Officer at the University of Wales Newport and at the University of Glamorgan where I was a Senior Lecturer in Research Methods in The Glamorgan Business School. Following graduation, I taught A level and Access students in a Further Education College.