Job Title: Lecturer in Biomedical Sciences
Room No: D2.04c
Telephone No: + 44 (0) 29 2020 1145
I contribute actively to the design and delivery of molecular biology, genetics & epigenetics to MSc Biomedical Sciences, BSc Biomedical Science, BSc Healthcare Science, HNC Biomedical Science, HND Biomedical Science, MSc Dietetics & BSc Psychology.
My expertise lies in the field of gene expression analysis, transcriptional regulation, microarray analysis, SNP genotyping and nutrigenetics and nutrigenomics.
The main focus for my research is to investigate molecular mechanisms behind the anti-inflammatory actions of a group of antidiabetic drugs called thiazolidinediones.
Since some of the members of this group (e.g. Rosiglitazone) have side effects and have been withdrawn from the market, the search is now on to identify natural bioactive compounds that may act as therapeutic agents (nutraceuticals) for modulating inflammation associated with chronic diseases.
Additionally I am interested in elucidating transcriptional regulation of megakaryocyte biology and the mechanisms behind the action of anagrelide, a drug used for its platelet lowering actions.
- Co-inventor of TRB3-related patent on: ASSAYS FOR AGENTS AFFECTING MEGAKARYOCYTE DEVELOPMENT (Application Number:12/898590 , Publication Date: 05/12/2011)
- Isa SA, Ruffino JS, Ahluwalia M, Thomas AW, Morris K, Webb R. “M2 macrophages exhibit higher sensitivity to oxLDL-induced lipotoxicity than other monocyte/ macrophage subtypes.” Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Dec 6;10(1):229.
- Ahluwalia M, Donovan H, Singh N, Butcher L, Erusalimsky JD. 2010 Anagrelide represses GATA-1 and FOG-1 expression without interfering with thrombopoietin receptor signal transduction. J Thromb Haemost 8(10):2252-61
- Morris RH, Tonks AJ, Jones KP, Ahluwalia MK, Thomas AW, Tonks A, Jackson SK. 2008 DPPC regulates COX-2 expression in monocytes via phosphorylation of CREB. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 370(1):174-8
- Caddy J, Singh N, Atkin L, Ahluwalia M, Roberts A, Lang D, Thomas AW, Webb R. 2008 Rosiglitazone transiently disturbs calcium homeostasis in monocytic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 366(1):149-55
- Ahluwalia M, Evans M, Morris K, Currie C, Davies S, Rees A, Thomas A. 2002 The influence of the Pro12Ala mutation of the PPAR-gamma receptor gene on metabolic and clinical characteristics in treatment-naive patients with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obes Metab 4(6): 376-8
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy