Current Funded Research
My research interests are in cognitive processes, human mental health and mental health services. I work closely with colleagues within the School of Health Sciences and mental health services in Wales and South West England. My current research is focused on 3 areas, 1) the interaction between emotion, executive cognitive processes and complex learning deficits widely assumed to underpin schizophrenia, 2) models of adult attachment style and how these can inform management of people in secure mental health care, 3) learning processes in the acquisition of visual diagnostic ability.
- CMK215 - What changes for patients in medium secure care? A long term follow up study of outcomes, care, supervision and patients' experiences. KESS2 co-funded with South Wales Forensic Mental Health Service. (~£52K)
- CMK214 - Developing Practical tools for measuring central disinhibition and asociality in clinical settings. KESS2 co-funded with South Wales Forensic Mental Health Service. (~£52K)
- CMK216 - Weight gain in secure psychiatric settings: The role of attentional bias, stress and dietary factors. KESS2 co-funded with South Wales Forensic Mental Health Service. (~£52K)
- Reducing restrictive practice in secure mental health care. Funded by The Priory Group PLC. (~£16.5K)
Chairman British Psychological Society (BPS), Welsh Branch 2004-2008
BPS Representative Council Member 2004-2008
Chair CSHS HCP ethics panel 2010-present
CSHS Research & Enterprise Committee 2008-present
CSHS Research Degrees Sub-Committee 2007-present
CSHS Professoriate 2010-present
Welsh Centre for Crime and Social Justice (2008-present)
Offender Health Research Network (2004-present)
Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA: 2019 onwards)
Panels & Committees
Past External Examiner roles
Welsh Centre for Crime and Social Justice (WCCSJ). Management committee member since 2011.
School of Health Sciences School Research Ethics Committee (SREC). Committee member since 2008.
School of Health Sciences Professoriate. Member since 2011.
School of Health Sciences Research Degrees Committee. Committee member since 2008.
School of Health Sciences Research and Enterprise Committee. Committee member since 2008.
School of Health Sciences Managing Safety and Planning Working Group. Group member since 2012.
Chair of Health Sciences HCP ethics panel since 2006.
- Chief Examiner Birmingham City University, BSc Psychology, Psychology & Criminology, Psychology & Sociology.
- University of Chester, BSc Psychology.
- Oxford Brookes University, PhD.
- Huddersfield University, BSc Psychology and Criminology.
Jan 1992 – July 1994
Research Assistant. “Motivational control of incentive processes.” Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Cambridge.
Jul 1996 – Jul 1998
Post-Doctoral Research Associate. “The role of the hippocampus in complex stimulus processing.” School of Psychology, Cardiff University.
Jul 1998 – Jul 2000
Post-Doctoral Research Associate. “Follow-up study of South Wales Forensic psychiatric services.” School of Psychological Medicine,UWCM.
Jul 1998 – Jul 2001
Honorary Research Fellow. School of Psychology, Cardiff University.
Aug 2000-Aug 2001
Research Fellow (Grant held by A Watt) Department of Psychological Medicine, UWCM.
Present – onwards
Honorary Reader, South Wales Forensic Mental Health Service, Bro Morgannwg NHS Trust.
Graduated University of Ulster, BSc Psychology in 1988
PhD Cardiff University in 1998. Thesis: “Associative processes in acquired stimulus equivalence”