Position: Head of Department, Principal Lecturer and Reader in Pedagogical Psychology
School: Cardiff School of Health Sciences
Telephone: +44(0)29 2041 6892
Room No: D3.08b
- SHS700 Applied Research Methods and Design
- BSc (Hons) Psychology: Wellbeing; Education
Research Degree Supervision - Current
- Masters in Social Science Research: Education and Wellbeing
Research Degree Supervision - Completed - PhD
- Dodge, Rachel The impact of a pastoral intervention programme on levels of wellbeing in Further Education students
- Green Jervis, Cordelia Young Men as Fathers: A Qualitative Study Exploring Social and Cultural Constructions
- Lewis, Rhonwen Early phonological development in Welsh-English bilingual children: a longitudinal study
- Patten, Sarah Speech Perception Assessments; an investigation into their efficacy as a clinical tool with deaf children
- Warner, Joann Combined effects of stress and diet on biological markers of ageing
Research Degree Supervision - Completed - PhD by Published Works (Advisor)
- Almughairy, Asila (2012) Evaluating marriage preparation programmes in the Oman
- Al-Hourani, Zeid (2008) Development and evaluation of a model to measure and determine the fit of removable partial dental frameworks
- Bruneau, Ben (2009) The association between undergraduates’ resilience and their coping
- Campbell, Jacqueline, (2010) Measuring and enhancing offenders’ motivation to engage in therapy and change their offending behaviour
- Davies, Rachel (2002) Managing the emotional experience of organisational change.
- Hobbis, Shirley (2012) Adjusting to retirement: Changing views of normality
- Kwan, Deborah (2012) "They think it’s normal don’t they?" A comparison of dietary attitudes and perceptions of mothers and grandmothers.
- Mendoza, Gary (2006) A multi-dimensional model for the treatment of overweight and obese males in a community setting
- Squire, Amanda (2012) Promoting a whole school approach to healthy eating within secondary schools in South Wales
- Toh, Pohsee (2000) The evaluation and control of food safety in Hawker Food in Kuala Lumpur.
Research Degree Supervision - Completed - Master of Philosophy
- Sander, P. (2003) Understanding the learner for more effective university teaching
- Thomas, M. (2009) Exploring the beliefs and underlying functional deficits associated with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and the identification of predictors of recovery and successful illness management
- Alimohamed, Francis. MPhil (2005) A comparison of the accuracy of three types of 3 dimensional scanners for recording patients' study models and the ease of use of each scanner.
- Bevan, Rowena MPhil (2005) The relationship of an appointment
adherence with the provision for dentures within technical services in a
- Mahni, Nizar MPhil (2004) Cleanser solutions and dental polymethyl methacrylate: their effects on the mechanical and physical properties.
- Sanders, L (2010) Discovering Research Methods in Psychology; a Student’s Guide. Oxford: Blackwell.
- Klepper, I.D., Sanders, L.D. & Rosen, M. (1991) (Editors) Ambulatory Anaesthesia: Impairment and Recovery. Oxford: Blackwell Scientific Publications Ltd
- Sanders, L.D., Mair, C. & James, R. (2016). Detecting Uncertainty Predicting Outcome for First Year Students. Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education. 8(3), 346-359
- Sanders, L.D., Daly, A.P. & Fitzgerald, K. (2016). Predicting Retention, Understanding Attrition: A Prospective Study Of Foundation Year Students. Journal of Widening Participation and Lifelong Learning. 18(2), 50-83
- Mair, C., Sanders, L., and James, R. (2015) 'Where there is doubt': using psychometrics to identify students at risk of non-completion. 8th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation Proceedings, 8452-8459.
- Mair,C., Sanders, L.D. & Street, R (2014) Understanding student engagement and transition.
HEA Stem Conference Paper
- Sanders, L & Daly A (2012-13) Building a Successful Foundation? The Role of Foundation Year Courses in Preparing Students for Their Degree. Widening Participation and Life Long Learning: Special Issue: What Works? 14, 42-56
- Dodge, R., Daly, A., Huyton, J. & Sanders L.D. (2012) The Challenge of defining wellbeing. The International Journal of Wellbeing. 2(3).
- Hobbis, S., Thirlaway, K., Sanders, L. & Hendry, L (2011) Retirement and lifestyle behaviours: A thematic analysis of a Pilot Study. Health Psychology Update 20(2), 2-8.
- Sanders, L., Sander, P. & Mercer, J..(2009) Rogue Males? Approaches To Study And Academic Performance Of Male Psychology Students. Psychology Teaching Review, 15(1), 3-17.
- Sander, P. & Sanders, L. (2009) Measuring academic behavioural confidence: the ABC scale revisited. Studies in Higher Education, 34, 1, 19-35.
- Sanders, L. & Sander, P (2007) Academic Behavioural Confidence: A comparison of medical and psychology students. Electronic Journal of research in Educational Psychology and Psychopedagogy 13(4) 633-649.
- Sander, P, Sanders, L & Mercer, J. (2007). Blending Research & Teaching in the Classroom: Teaching Research Methodology Using Staff Research Examples. Higher Education Academy
- Sanders, L and Sander, P (2007) Do we have rogue males amongst our undergraduates? The Psychologist, March 169.
- Sander, P. & Sanders, L. (2007) Gender, Psychology Students and Higher Education. Psychology Learning and Teaching 6(1) 33-36
- Sander, P & Sanders, L. (2006) Rogue Males: Sex differences in psychology students. Electronic Journal of research in Educational Psychology and Psychopedagogy 8, (4) 85-108.
- Sander, P. and Sanders, L. (2006). Understanding Academic Confidence. Psychology Teaching Review, 12, 1, 29-39.
- Sander P, & Sanders, L. (2005) Students’ presentations: Does the experience change their views?. Psychology Teaching Review, 11, (1) 25-41.
- Jones, D.M. and Sanders, L.(2004) The users’ voice: self harm and the mental health service. Psychologist in Wales 17, 21-25
- Sander P. & Sanders, L , (2003) Measuring confidence in academic study: A summary report., Electronic Journal of research in Educational Psychology and Psychopedagogy, 1, 1-17.
- Sander, P., Sanders, L. & Steventon, K, (2002) Engaging the learner: Reflections on the use of student presentations, Psychology Teaching Review, 10 (1), 76-89.
- Sanders, L.D. (1996) Assessment of Recovery after Anaesthesia: In: General Anaesthesia 6th Edition, Prys-Roberts, C. & Brown, B.R. (Editors) Oxford: Butterworth-Heinemann.
- Hughes, J.A., Sanders, L.D., Dunne, J.A., Tarpey, M. & Vickers, M.D. (1994) Reducing Smoking: the effect of suggestion during general anaesthesia on post-operative smoking habits. Anaesthesia, 49, 126-128.
- Sanders, L.D. & Price, P.E. (1994) Naughty but Nice: in search of a consensus view. Health Psychology Update, 16, 14-17.
- Whitehead, C. & Sanders, L.D. (1994) Zopiclone as a preoperative night hypnotic: a double blind comparison with temazepam and placebo. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 72, 443-446.
- Sanders, L.D. & Whitehead, C. (1994) The subjective effects of low-dose propofol: a double blind study to evaluate dimensions of sedation and consciousness with low-dose propofol. Anaesthesia, 49, 490-6.
- Sanders, L.D. & Whitehead, C. (1994) Interaction of H2 receptor antagonists and benzodiazepine sedation. International Clinical Digests.
- Yoshizumi, J., Marshall, R.W., Sanders, L.D. & Vickers, M.D. (1993) Effects of small concentrations of isoflurane on some psychometric measures. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 71(6):839-44.
- Sanders, L.D. & Whitehead, C. (1993) The accustomed eye; does familiarity breed contempt? Health Psychology Update 14, 37-38.
- Sanders, L.D., Whitehead, C., Gildersleve, C.D., Rosen, M., & Robinson, J.O. (1993) Interaction of H2 receptor antagonists and benzodiazepine sedation. A double blind placebo-controlled investigation of the effects of cimetidine and ranitidine on recovery after intravenous midazolam. Anaesthesia, 48, 286-292.
- Tham, E., Gildersleve, C.D., Sanders, L.D., Mapleson, W.W. & Vaughan, R. (1992) Effects of posture, phonation and observer on Mallampati classification. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 68, 32-38.
- Sanders, L.D. (1991) Recovery of Psychological Function after Anaesthesia. International Anesthesiology Clinics. Boston: Little Brown and Company.
- Sanders, L.D. Gildersleve, C.D. & Rees, L. (1991) Apparel or manners maketh man? The impact of the appearance of the anaesthetist on the patient's perception of the preoperative visit. Anaesthesia, 46, 1056-1058.
- Cobley, M., Dunne, J,A, & Sanders, L.D. (1991) Stressful preoperative preparation procedures. The routine removal of dentures during preoperative preparation contributes to preoperative distress. Anaesthesia, 46: 1019-1022.
- Whitehead, C. & Sanders, L.D. (1991) A survey of concurrent drug therapy amongst day unit patients. British Journal of Clinical Practice, 45(4): 236.
- Sanders, L.D., Clyburn, P.A., Rosen, M. & Robinson, J.O. (1991) Propofol in short gynaecological procedures. Comparison of recovery after Anaesthesia with propofol or thiopentone as sole anaesthetic agent. Anaesthesia, 46 451-455.
- Sanders, L.D., Piggott, S.E., Isaac, P.A., Okell, R.W., Roberts, B., Rosen, M. & Robinson, J.O. (1991) Reversal of benzodiazepine sedation with the antagonist flumazenil. British Journal of Anaesthesia, 66, 445-453.
- Sanders, L.D. (1989) Psychological correlates of negative self-assessed health. Counselling Psychology Quarterly, 2, (3) 249-259.
- Sanders, L.D., Davies-Evans J., Rosen, M. & Robinson, J.O. (1989) Intravenous sedation for outpatient gastroscopy: a comparative evaluation of diazepam and midazolam. British Journal of Anaesthesia. 63, 726-731.
- Sanders, L.D. (1989) Health psychology: a discipline at risk? Health Psychology Update 3, 23-26.
- Sanders, L.D., Isaac, P.A., Yeomans W.A., Clyburn, P.A., Rosen, M. & Robinson, J.O. (1989) Propofol induced anaesthesia; a double blind comparison of recovery after Anaesthesia induced by propofol or thiopentone. Anaesthesia, 44, 200-204.
- Sanders, L.D., Yeomans, W.A., Rees, J, Rosen, M. & Robinson, J.O. (1988) A double-blind comparison between nitrazepam, lorazepam, lormetazepam and placebo as preoperative night sedatives. European Journal of Anaesthesiology, 5, 377-384.
- Sanders, L.D., Mair, C. & Street, R (2015) Detecting Uncertainty, Predicting Retention. International Academic Forum Psychology & the Behavioral Sciences Conference. Brighton, 6-8 July.
- Sanders, L.D., Mair, C. & Street, R (2015) Detecting Uncertainty, Predicting Retention. Forum for Access and Continuing Education, FACE Conference. University of South Wales, 1-3 July.
- Huyton, J & Sanders, L. (2012) The cares and concerns of trainee teachers:
Getting the Balance Right. British Educational Research Association Annual Conference, Manchester University: 4-6 September.
- Sanders, L. Daly, A. & Regan, K (2012) Beginning the Uncertain Journey: Foundation Students’ Expectations and Experience. HEA Annual Conference, Manchester University: 3-4 July.
- Sanders, L. Daly, A. & Regan, K (2012) Juggling Uncertainty: Foundation Students’ Expectations and Experience. Europlat Conference, Vilnius June 27-30
- Sanders, L, Daly, A. & Regan, K (2012) Building a foundation for engagement and success? The role of Foundation courses. Student Retention: What Works? York University. March 27-28.
- Sanders, L. & Huyton, J (2011) "We really don't feel like proper students"; the wellbeing of trainee teachers. British Psychological Society, Welsh Branch Conference on Wellbeing, Glwyndwr University, Sept
- Huyton, J., Sanders, L. & Hillier, E. (2011) Wellbeing factors in the vocational preparation of student teachers for the school experience placement . ESCalate Third Annual Student Conference 11 April 2011; Liverpool Hope University
- Huyton, J., Sanders, L. & Hillier, E. (2011) Factors affecting well-being of trainee teachers – early findings. Mental well-being and the curriculum; making the connections in ITE. March 30th 2011, University of Cumbria, Lancaster campus
- Clayton, D., Powell, M-J., & Sanders, L.D.(2009) The impact of graphic warnings on cigarette packets; an exploratory study. ASH Wales Communicate, Collaborate, Celebrate Conference, October 5-6.
- Williams, K. & Sanders, L. (2008) Relapse Prevention in Psychosis: A Qualitative Exploration of Staff and Service User Views. Enhancing Self Care - Helping People to Help Themselves Conference, Social Dimensions of Health Institute. St Andrews University, 15-17 September.
- Sanders, L., Sander, P. & Mercer, J (2008) Rogue Male Learners: Gender differences in academic confidence and performance of psychology students. HEA Annual Conference, Harrogate, July 1-3.
- Sanders, L (2006) Adolecents' attitude to smoking -a small follow-up study. British Psychological Society Division of Health Psychology Annual Conference. September.
- Sander, P and Sanders, L (2006) Rogue Males: Sex differences amongst psychology students. Poster presented at the Annual Conference of the British Psychological Society, Cardiff, April.
- Sanders, L., Sweeney, A. and Robinson, J.O.(2004) The Acceptability of Smoking:Adolescents’ attitudes and experiences Health Psychology Division of the British Psychological Society Annual Conference. Edinburgh, September
- Sander, P and Sanders, L. (2003) The impact on students’ conceptions of giving presentations. Paper presented to the European Association for Research on Learning and Instruction, 10th Biennial Conference in Padua, Italy.
- Sanders, L.D. Views of Smokers. (2002) Smoking and Mental Health Event –October– Health Promotion, Wales Assembly Government.
- Sander, P and Sanders, L. (2002) Measuring confidence in academic study: A preliminary report. Paper presented to the annual conference of the Society for Research into Higher Education (Glasgow, December)
- Sanders, L, Marshall, J and Robinson J. (2001) Measuring attitudes to smoking: developing a tolerance scale, Health Psychology Division of the British Psychological Society Annual Conference. St Andrews.
- Sanders, L and Sander, P. (2000) Confidence and performance: a causal relationship?, ILT Welsh members Forum, Swansea, September.
- Sanders, L and Hughes, J.A. (1995) Cognitive processing during anaesthesia. Memory and Awareness Conference, Erasmus University, Rotterdam
- Sanders, L.D. (1994) Efficacy of peri-operative suggestions. BPS Special Group in Health Psychology Conference, Sheffield
- Sanders, L.D. (1992) Naughty but Nice. BPS Special Group in Health Psychology Conference, St Andrews, poster presentation:
- Sanders, L.D. (1990) Health' Research Meeting, The anxiolytic effect of blue jeans! Anaesthetic Department Research Meeting, UWCM.
- Sanders, L.D. (1989) Psychological Correlates of Self-Assessed Relative Health Status. International Conference on Health Psychology
- Sanders, L.D. (1989) Problems of measurement. International Conference on Impairment after Anaesthetic Drugs.
- Sanders, L.D. (1987) Images of Health. BPS and Heartbeat Wales Conference, Greginog.
- Sanders, L.D. (1986) Pursuit of Health, Postgraduate Conference, London
- Sanders, L.D. (1985) Doctor, Doctor, I keep thinking I’m a patient! Welsh BPS Student Conference
- Sanders, L.D. (1983) Flavour Association and Calorific Value. Welsh BPS Student Conference.
- Sanders, L.D (1993) Assessment of Recovery after Anaesthesia at the Founding Conference of European Society of Anaesthesiologists, Brussels .
- Sanders, L.D. (1991) BPS Special Group in Health Psychology Conference, Nottingham Seconded the motion: Section should seek Special Group Status.
- Sanders, L.D. (1990) 'The Assessment of Recovery' 8th European Congress of Anaesthesiology, Warsaw.
- Sanders, L.D. (1989) An Overview of Recovery. Postgraduate Course on Intravenous Anaesthesia, Stockholm.
- Sanders, L.D. (1988) The measurement of recovery, Anaesthetic Conference, Worcester
Dr Lalage Sanders has been a Principal Lecturer in the Department of Applied Psychology since 2004. She is Head of Department of Applied Psychology and also the School's Graduate Studies Coordinator. She is a Chartered Psychologist and an Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society (BPS), a Chartered Scientist and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy. Lalage is an active researcher in areas of student experience and wellbeing including an ESCalate funded Project “Trainee teachers' physical and mental wellbeing” and New Ideas Social Research Funded project “Student Expectations and Engagement”.
She publishes widely including authoring the only Research Methods text book endorsed by the British Psychological Society “Discovering Research Methods in Psychology: A student’s guide” published by Blackwell Wiley, BPS publication. Lalage is the School’s Graduate Studies Coordinator, Chair of the School’s Research Degrees Sub-Committee, Deputy Chair of Cardiff Metropolitan’s Research Degrees Committee. Her teaching responsibilities include two M level research modules: Research Skills and Applied Research Methods and Design, and she teaches Introduction to Statistics for undergraduate psychology students.
She is a supervisor for M level students on the MSc Health Psychology and Masters in Research Methods. Lalage is Cardiff Met.'s representative on the Operational Group of the Research
Capacity Building Collaboration Wales. She has established collaborative research projects with Cardiff and Vale University Health Board into service evaluation in mental health.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
Academic Confidence in Higher Education
Transition to University