My role at the ZERO2FIVE Food Industry Centre
In May 2021, I was awarded the first ZERO2FIVE Food Industry Centre PhD scholarship to undertake a PhD research project, focused on determining the food safety culture in the hospitality and catering sector utilising real-time data and novel Artificial Intelligence (AI) technology.
This research project is a multidisciplinary collaboration between the ZERO2FIVE Food Industry Centre (FIC) (Cardiff School of Sport and Health Sciences), Welsh Centre for Tourism Research (Cardiff School of Management). It is also a multinational collaboration with the University of Canberra, Australia.Impact of the Project
In light of the fact that a large proportion of foodborne disease incidents is associated with food service establishments, more attention needs to be directed to support and improve food safety in this sector. Organisational aspects such as strong leadership, motivation, commitment, risk perception, positive attitude and availability of resources must work harmoniously to drive the food safety culture forward and ensure the food safety.
- Therefore, this research will obtain an in-depth cognitive understanding of food safety culture in catering establishments in Wales.
- The Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies will be developed to ascertain compliance of specific food safety behaviours in food service sector.
- Targeted mechanisms for improvement of food safety culture in food service and hospitality sector will be developed and piloted.
- The study will provide the mechanisms to improve the implementation of risk-reducing behaviours in food service and hospitality sector and reduce incidents of foodborne disease.
- Dr Elizabeth Redmond, Senior Research Fellow, Food Industry Centre, (Director of Studies)
- Dr Ellen Evans, Research Fellow, Food Industry Centre, (Academic Supervisor)
- Dr Claire Haven-Tang, Associate Dean (Research), Cardiff School of Management (Academic Supervisor)
- Dr Ambikesh Jayal, University of Canberra, Australia (Academic Supervisor)