Money Matters


New students starting their course in September 2020 can find out about the different options for paying their course fees on our Fees and Money Matters Page.

Current students who began their course BEFORE Septmeber 2020 can see their available options below.

How do I pay my course fees?

Whilst you are a student at Cardiff Metropolitan, it is your responsibility to ensure that your academic and accommodation fees are paid on time.

Please visit Fees and Finance Make a Payment ( for all payment methods accepted by the University.

How will I know if the University has received my payment?

You can make enquiries by emailing the Finance Department at 
And providing them with the following details :

  • Your full name
  • Student reference number
  • The exact amount of the transfer/payment in GBP
  • The date of the transfer/payment
  • The name given as a reference (if applicable)
  • The name of the bank from which the transfer was made (if applicable)
    Upon receipt of your payment and acceptance form, Cardiff Metropolitan University will send a confirmation email to the email address that you provide

What if I am a sponsored student?

Sponsored students - please bring your sponsorship letter with you when you enrol - you will have brought a copy of this with you. Please note the International Office does not have copies of these letters, you must produce your own copy.

What documents will you need to open a bank account?

The bank will ask to see:

  • Your passport
  • A letter confirming that you are a student and also your UK and overseas addresses.You can request this letter from the Welfare Team.
  • A second confirmation of your UK address eg. Your halls of residence or private accommodation contract.
  • The main banks in Cardiff that are popular with our international students are:

    Barclays, HSBC, Lloyds TSB​ and National Westminster Bank (Natwest)

All of these banks have branches in and around Cardiff. The most conveniently located branches for Cardiff Met students are:

Wellfield Road, Roath
Albany Road, Roath
High Street, Llandaff village
Queen Street, city centre

Important Advice: When making any future immigration applications in the UK, it will be necessary for you to supply the UK Border Agency with original copies of your most up to date bank statements. We therefore strongly recommend that when you open your account, you request to be sent regular postal statements to your UK address.​​

Is it possible to receive a refund if I experience a problem?

If you decide after your arrival in the UK that you have changed your study plans and wish to return to your country of residence, you may be able to apply for a refund. Evidence of your return overseas must be provided to the International Office eg a scanned copy of your boarding pass. Following this, an application for a refund would need to be made, det​ailing the reasons for deciding to leave your course.

Eligibility for a refund will be assessed on a case by case basis and the date of withdrawal from your course will also be a contributing factor to the final decision made about whether a refund is approved or not. For further enquiries about refunds, please email For full refund terms and conditions please click here.

What if I cannot pay my fees during my course?

It is important that you arrange your finances before you arrive in the UK to ensure that you are able to make payments on time. Late payments will incur an additional administration charge on top of your tuition fees. As with other UK universities, Cardiff Met has a regulation that all academic fees and accommodation fees must be paid in full whilst you are studying at the University or else you will not be permitted to graduate from your course and gain a certificate for your academic achievements.​

​ If you do not pay your fees on time, you will receive letters from the Finance Office and may be prevented from continuing with your studies or re-enrolling onto the next phase of your course until your fees are paid. If you find yourself in a situation where you are unable to pay your fees, you may be advised to suspend or defer your studies until you are in a position to clear all outstanding debts to the University. Please note, any change to a Tier 4 student’s status at the university must be reported to UK Visas and Immigration, which may consequently result in a curtailment/cancellation of their visa. For further advice about fees and related immigration matters, please see the University Debtor Policy​ ​​​in the Related Links section or contact the International Student Support Team at

Does Cardiff Metropolitan offer scholarships?

Cardiff Metropolitan is unable to offer scholarships or bursaries to students, midway through their courses and it is very difficult to secure a scholarship from a UK organisation whilst you are in the UK. We therefore recommend that you research scholarship opportunities in your home country before entering the UK or contact the British Council for details.​

Links to International Student Calculator – An aid to budgeting and managing your finances

Other suggested websites: