Student Services>Finance support>Emergency funding

Emergency funding

You should make sure you have enough money to cover all of your living expenses for each term you are studying at Cardiff Met. You can do this through good budgeting and money management. 

If you run out of money due to unforeseen circumstances you may be eligible to receive financial support for your living costs. You will be expected to demonstrate that you have taken all reasonable measures to ensure you have enough money to last you until your next income payment (eg Student Finance instalments, wages from a job, etc).

If you are in urgent need of financial assistance you can consider the following options. 

Financial support

Students are expected to make suitable financial provision to cover all of their costs before starting their course. 
However, if you find yourself in financial difficulty you may be eligible to apply to the University for financial support. 

To be eligible to apply you must be enrolled on your course and unable to cover your immediate and essential costs.  

Once you have submitted this form you will be sent a link to book an appointment with a member of our team. During this appointment we will discuss your situation further with you. Following this conversation we may then invite you to apply for financial support. 

Please note that we cannot guaranteed an award.

International and EU students

If you are facing urgent financial hardship due to significant and unexpected circumstances, you may be eligible for emergency financial support through our 'International student support fund'.

You can apply for financial support if you:

  • have been the victim of crime or fraud (you must have a crime reference number)
  • are fleeing domestic violence or abuse
  • have suffered a domestic disaster in the UK such as house fire or flood

If any of these circumstances apply to you, contact us at to discuss your situation further.

We will also contact the Global Student Advisory Service to inform them of your circumstances so they may offer you some support.

​Self-help resources

If you are struggling to manage your finances, we recommend you complete our financial awareness e-Module: 

Contact us

If you need to talk to someone about budgeting and debt, or the Student Support Fund, you can book an appointment:

Money advice