- Mind mapping (MindView) and text to speech software (ClaroRead Plus) is available on all networked computers on campus; however, this is not available for students to download for use on their personal machines.
School Liaison IT Officers are in close contact with school and course representatives and are there to listen, offer advice and improve the IT experience for staff and students at the university.
- Students can download a range of free software including anti-malware, MS Office 365 and some course specific software. They can also access up to 1TB of free cloud based storage.
- Loan laptops are available on short term basis but demand for this is high and there may be a waiting list.
Details of how to reserve a laptop and a full list of available software is available via the
Information Technology site.
DSA Computer contribution
Students studying at Cardiff Metropolitan University can apply to the Hardship Fund to meet this cost. This is means tested and funding is not guaranteed.
Library Services / Learning Support
Library Service is able to offer the following support:
- Pre-bookable rooms with networked assistive software
- Electronic versions of core textbooks, the Library Service is able to procure electronic versions of other books and resources where available upon request.
- Subject specific librarians who can offer additional guidance on accessing resources and library facilities
- Reservations service which allows students to collect items directly from the main desk
- Arrange access to materials not on site
- Access for support workers to visit the library and collect materials on the behalf of students
- Flexible library loans.
There are a
number of student residences available which differ in facilities and
cost including catered/self-catering, en-suite and adapted rooms. If you
require further information for the purposes of a DSA recommendation
please contact the Wellbeing Service. ensuite
Learning and Teaching
vary between courses as do the number of contact hours and type of
session. Lecture capture via Panopto is used but is not available in all
teaching venues or across all courses. Cardiff Metropolitan is
therefore unable to guarantee lecture capture facilities for all
sessions and advises that alternative recording methods are recommended
for students via the DSA.
Metropolitan University does not recommend individual firms. However,
we are happy to discuss the provision of taxis on a case by case basis.
Non-Medical Helper SupportCardiff Metropolitan Wellbeing Service
is able to offer Non-Medical Helper (NMH) support to students. Full details of the NMH rates, roles and capabilities can be found on our NMH page.
the following non-medical helper roles at the rates
listed in the table below. Our rates are also available on the DSA-QAG
registered NMH list. One quote only is required for non-SFE funded
If you are intending to recommend other forms of specialist mentoring for a
Cardiff Met student please contact us to discuss how we can best support
Specialist support services such as BSL
interpreters are arranged via the Wellbeing Service to support students.
Please contact us if you require further information.
Cardiff Metropolitan support staff are recruited, trained and supervised
in accordance with university procedures ensuring all work carried out
is quality assured and in line with the DSA-QAG Non-Medical Helper
Quality Assurance framework.