Explore our sustainable food culture that supports local, sustainable and Fairtrade produce and suppliers.
We are dedicated to developing a sustainable food culture at the University. We're providing Fairtrade products where possible, and working closely with local food suppliers to increase the demand and supply of seasonal, local and organic food.
We aim to:
work with local producers and suppliers to increase the scale of local produce on campus to reduce food miles
reduce food waste and packaging waste associated with catering and increase composting and recycling
improve the availability of affordable, healthy and sustainable food in our food outlets and hospitality
encourage our staff and students to get involved with community growing and other food related volunteering activities
promote and celebrate food through the diversity of our campus food outlets and food events
- Awarded a 3 Star gold standard from the Sustainable Restaurant Association in 2018 with a score of 76 per cent for good sustainable catering.
- Nominated for the second year in a row for the feed people well award with the Sustainable Restaurant Association
- In 2018 awarded a sustainable academy award for our ongoing commitment for reducing waste on campus and our plastic free pledge
- Fairtrade University status.
- A reduction in use of over 22,000 single use cups in 2019 by championing the use of reusable coffee cups.
Reycled over 17,000 cups using the Keep Wales Tidy simply cup and refill scheme.
Sold over 4,000 reusable cups, chilly bottles and containers in 2019 to help reduce waste on campus.
- All our fresh milk is sourced from Welsh farms and all coffee is either Fairtrade, or Rainforest Alliance Certified
- All our fish comes from aour local supplier and is MSC certified and/or from Responsible Fishing Scheme boats.
- All our meat is British and beef, pork and lamb comes from a family butcher in Swansea who is Red Tractor Certified and in turn sources meat from the South Wales area
- Our seasonal fruit and vegetables supplier is from Cardiff and sources from the South Wales area.
- Use of environmentally friendly cleaning chemicals in all outlets.
- Encourage the use of reusable products across campus
- Recycling systems in place across our outlets and kitchens.
- 18 water refillable water machines across campus to offer both staff and students free chilled water.
Images of our Sustainable awards via our Flickr pages
The Cardiff Met catering team have been working closely with the Environmental team to improve our environmental credentials, and to have a positive impact on everything we do.
We are proud of all we do and have detailed below some of our green initiatives below:
Cardiff Met Keep a Cup
To reduce the use of single use cups the Cardiff Met Keep a cup is available across campus and you save 10% each time you use yours.
Eco to go Reusable food boxes
To reduce the amount plastic and cardboard used on campus the Eco to go food boxes are available to purchase with a 10% saving when returning with your box.
Images our of our Sustainable activity available on our Flickr pages.
Supporting the community.
Once a month in partnership with Riverside real food we hold a farmers market on campus, bringing local growers and traders onto campus offering a diverse range of products from from fruit and veg to natural honey and gigantic sausage rolls. All to compliment our core service.
Images our Farmers market available on our Flickr link.
For further green initiatives, please follow the link to Cardiff Mets Sustainable Web pages.